Unofficial Mills

Jordan North to leave Radio 1

Jono

29 minutes ago, Darren m said:

Also on another note  just seen Greg’s insta story  he sighned another breakfast contract quite interesting 

That's probably significant in the Jordan leaving story.   As we have often said on here, if it didn't happen for Jordan in the next year or two it was never going to happen.

On 2/19/2024 at 1:07 AM, DC said:

I do think this is worrying times for radio 1. As an old head I recall Moyles leaving but you felt there was a solid guaranteed future for the station. Scott still there, big experienced names to sort stuff out when it got tough. It was the same when Mark and Lard went, Simon Mayo, Chris Evans etc years and years back. But now it feels like with Jordan North going it's going to sound like a load of teenagers giggling amongst themselves. And I point to mid mornings on that imo. Radio 1 need a big young star who can present, and who's already popular to come in and create a fuss. And I mean someone who can be relevant for the next gen, not radio 1s current target audience. Aim for 2030.

We’ve defo hit another exodus period for the DJs. 
I'm not sure how much longer Greg will be there. 

I was just about to post the thing is how many more prestenters are gonna be tempted by big. Money deals I know Moyles is on about a million quid a year and that’s just on radio x and I would think Jordan will probably have a 2 year deal with global Moyles did when he started 

And the picture starts to emerge 

Jordan had been discussing leaving for months and was removed from air as soon as it was confirmed - seemingly he didn't know until the announcement was made

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/jordan-north-left-blindsided-radio-32182926

This would confirm Katie's reaction last Friday morning..

It's flattering for Jordan that they really didn't want to lose him but also seems to confirm why Dean covered Breakfast in the first week of January.

From that story though I still don’t understand how they managed to get Jamie in so quickly? It sounds like Jordan only told them I assume after his last show that he was leaving and suddenly they already had a replacement lined up for him? 

3 minutes ago, Dan18F1 said:

From that story though I still don’t understand how they managed to get Jamie in so quickly? It sounds like Jordan only told them I assume after his last show that he was leaving and suddenly they already had a replacement lined up for him? 

Given the negotiations had been going on for a long time, no doubt they had Jamie already lined up.  They would have already known when Jordan expected to leave.

3 hours ago, Jono said:

Nice reference from Greg to Jordan when talking about Sparks FM to Chris Howard. At least they're not treating him like he's dead to Radio 1 😂

Whatever management feel, I imagine the past week has been very tough on many of the presenters as they are actual friends with Jordan and whilst they will have known what was going on the suddenness of his exit will have hit them.  Katie probably knew nothing of Jordan's axing until she was listening to Newsbeat immediately before her show last Friday.  I genuinely felt sorry for her as you could tell she was shocked and upset.

It's such a shame they didn't get to do breakfast together.  Their breakfast shows last summer were some of the best radio I have heard in years.

29 minutes ago, AndyK77 said:

After last Friday the one thing we have learnt is that all our speculation means nothing 😛 

True that. If he does get to take on a show permanently it would likely be when the next major presenter(s) leave daytime or even likely to leave weekends.

1 hour ago, AndyK77 said:

Whatever management feel, I imagine the past week has been very tough on many of the presenters as they are actual friends with Jordan and whilst they will have known what was going on the suddenness of his exit will have hit them.  Katie probably knew nothing of Jordan's axing until she was listening to Newsbeat immediately before her show last Friday.  I genuinely felt sorry for her as you could tell she was shocked and upset.

It's such a shame they didn't get to do breakfast together.  Their breakfast shows last summer were some of the best radio I have heard in years.

She’s one of the biggest assets to the station that could have a more prolonged career at the station than a fair few of those who currently on daytime. One with Jordan’s departure could risk losing.

7 minutes ago, BBCAaron said:

She’s one of the biggest assets to the station that could have a more prolonged career at the station than a fair few of those who currently on daytime. One with Jordan’s departure could risk losing.

Very good point.

What is Katie's future now?  Plus she is bound to be hurting?  She doesn't need Radio 1.  More TV work? Higher profile role at another radio station....

I have been a Radio 1 listener for 30 years and can never remember the situation that has arisen with Jordan..closest was Chris Evans' disappearing act in 1997 but that was quite different.

Vick and Katie could still be a thing, but Katie is good by herself. There's still a lot of good talent on R1 remember.

1 hour ago, Darren m said:

James cussack must be next in line for a show but I don’t know where he would go now 

James could have easily done drive with Vick, but replacing a Jordan v2 might be too jarring. I'm on nights here and listening back to Nat and James' show after he posted a clip on his instagram. He's naturally funny without trying and when the caller doesn't pick up and ruins the game, it isn't cringe, he actually styles it out with the music backing and says, right we'll just block you then. Reminds me of how scott would deal with it.

Disappointed that Mollie and James isn't a thing again and its just Mollie solo as they were really good together, but then he's on the show himself the next day

10 hours ago, AndyK77 said:

After last Friday the one thing we have learnt is that all our speculation means nothing 😛 

Make that the forum motto 😂 Whatever you expect to happen there's usually a curveball.

Nobody predicted Vick and Jordan pairing in the first place! 

Jordan talks of his move on the Weekend Release edition of Help I Sexted My Boss but doesn't give much away that we don't know.

You soon realise the only bit of all of this that is shock or sudden is Radio 1 removing him without warning.  

It might have been nice for them to tell him even Thursday that that show was his last.

• 1 month later...

They've been talking about it on the Sexted podcast

According to Jordan, the BBC told him he had just broadcast his final radio show only 20 minutes before he was set to appear on another podcast called Dish.

Jordan said: “Listen to [Dish] because around 20 minutes before that recording I was called by the BBC to be told that was my last show.”

William said: “I am going to be serious now and I said this to you at the time. Considering you had the news that you did you were phenomenal.

“You were so good, you were on point, you were funny – you were great.”

5 hours ago, GrimsbyGal said:

They've been talking about it on the Sexted podcast

According to Jordan, the BBC told him he had just broadcast his final radio show only 20 minutes before he was set to appear on another podcast called Dish.

Jordan said: “Listen to [Dish] because around 20 minutes before that recording I was called by the BBC to be told that was my last show.”

William said: “I am going to be serious now and I said this to you at the time. Considering you had the news that you did you were phenomenal.

“You were so good, you were on point, you were funny – you were great.”

There was also a joke in another episode where William told Jordan he'd replace him with Jamie Laing.  Jordan says "I left"

The BBC would not have known Jordan schedule to be fair as the podcast is not BBC and he was a guest.  He just signed a big money deal what's to be sad about?  Unless deep down he didn't want to leave Radio 1 and just went along with what others said around him?

I still think something else went on. Something that maybe Jordan don't even know about between the BBC, Global and his management.  Thing I can't get past is why not tell him after the show on Thursday? why wait till the next morning?  It was done with urgency.  We haven't got the full story on this one I don't think.  I would bet it not being the fault of Jordan or the BBC.  The way it was done was not very BBC either. The BBC do a big thing so that you kind of question why am I leaving even if your going to the other side. It doesn't add up. Also Greg signing his contract shortly after.  I think there was talk with Greg about coming to a deal to let Jordan take over in the next year. Maybe Greg would have moved to a spin off station. I think Radio 1 tried but things never got anywhere due to the might of Global and Jordan's management.