Unofficial Mills

Annie Nightingale dies aged 83

Jono

RIP Annie - a trailblazer who paved the way for so many female DJs on Radio 1 and across radio.  A undoubted Radio 1 legend whowas still championing new music even until the end of last year.
Some wonderful tributes from the Radio 1 family past and present - was nice to her even Mistajam over on Capital Dance doing a lovely tribute to Annie today. And echo what others have said  Matt & Mollie handled the news superbly.

Yes that’s what I would like to see happen quite a shock that she passed I would have loved it she appeared on more daytime shows he Moyles show was a highlight for me back in 2011 she was reallly funny and    Moyles Himself said how much he loved doing a show with her 

Yes that’s what I would like to see happen quite a shock that she passed I would have loved it she appeared on more daytime shows he Moyles show was a highlight for me back in 2011 she was reallly funny and    Moyles Himself said how much he loved doing a show with her 

1 hour ago, Darren m said:

Be great to hear that again . 
I liked the when Annie met nick interview they did for radio one vintage too

a true legend and inspiration- always looking to future of music

if anyone has that link of the moyles show would be great to hear again

13 hours ago, BBCAaron said:

Brought the audio book version of it earlier on. Think it will be a good listen.

Supposedly a number one best seller on Amazon for punk music. Funny how much appreciation these people get when it's sadly too late.

22 minutes ago, Darren m said:

Seems so different to when John peel died that seemed like days of mourning 

We can imagine that Annie has been ill for some weeks and the news was half-expected and the response planned.

John Peel's death (at 65) was very sudden and unexpected and that can affect the tone a lot more.

1 hour ago, Darren m said:

Seems so different to when John peel died that seemed like days of mourning 

I feel her on air presence and her personality was the antithesis of mournful when anything somber wouldn’t be to her taste days of tribute to Annie Nightingale to who she was would look like days of raving. I do feel that John Peel and Annie Nightingale, although hee died when I was three or four, they seem like two totally different people. Although in his time at radio 1 John Peel was known for his eclectic taste from indie rock, metal, psychedelia, punk, new wave to drum and bass, electronic and mix of everything else in between. Unlike Annie Nightingale he seemed to be didn’t have the same agelessness and youthful energy. She seemed that she could party as hard as any university fresher into her early eighties. I believe she was one of the people that encouraged the station to play dance musi and the current stuff of the youth today.

Much as she was Radio 1 and it wont feel the same station but the programmes on-air should be in her honour. 

12 hours ago, Old Codger Fan said:

If we include R1Xtra, does this make David Rodigan the new Old Trooper?

Not to side-track from Annie, who achieved incredible things in her lifetime at Radio 1, and will be hugely missed and remembered for her amazing work and enthusiasm for life -

But, I had the joy of seeing David Rodigan live at a local gig in 2022 (much more my taste in music), and I couldn't believe the energy and passion he brought for an 'older' guy... it was such a wonderful experience. I can only imagine that Annie brought the same euphoria to fans of her style of music.

(I was hoping Greg or someone else on R1 would get Ram Jam involved in the "we need jungle" sideline of the last week)

It is lovely to see the tributes pouring in for Annie though, clearly a much-loved pioneering broadcaster who was, and stayed well respected on a so-called 'youth station', who held an important place on air as well as in everyones' hearts.

3 minutes ago, AndyK77 said:

And actually didn't Annie (and Pete Tong, David Rodigan continue to ) prove that age is less important in broadcasting than relevance?

As long as you are still relevant you can keep going.

Yes, think definately given a good shake of any ageist attitudes could ever had about the roster of line-up of radio 1 right now. Pete Tong caught his show the other night knowing he was doing a tribute but heard him playing some favourites and new finds. A listened to his show few times few years back think the past few days has me thinking need to listen to some more of radio 1 mixing it up with 6 and stuff like that.

As with 1Xtra I see it as a station that now with having presenters like Trevor Nelson, Seani B, Rodigan, Heartless Crew and Rampage assume the ages that fit the Radio 2 average presenter age. I see it as a station that celebrates the past, present and future of black music and black culture and should be that.

I love that we have presenters who could retire to present nostalgia driven shows on Radio 2 or Greatest Hits but it’s good to have 60s+ whether its Pete Tong, David Rodigan, Steve Lamarq, Tom Robinson, Iggy Pop and even Elton John (on Apple Music 1) having older presenters playing newer stuff. I don’t get how all you’d want to listen to is the music of your teenage years.