Unofficial Mills

Annie Nightingale dies aged 83

Jono

So sad to hear of the death of a national treasure and the greatest broadcaster the station a true achievement to have such a longevity of a career at radio 1 being at the forefront of new music for over fifty years. I can assume all the presenters who have been and gone over the past fifty years count Annie as an inspiration. The First Lady who will be remembered for generations to come. Seems rather timely and fitting that Annie Nightingales 6 Music series is being re-played on Radio 6 Music midnight Monday. No feels a timely tribute. 

29 minutes ago, NathanS said:

Such a shame. A massive trailblazer in the industry. They're paying tribute to her on Radio 1 now. 

Very nice words and it is good that the tone has remained upbeat as that's exactly what she would have wanted.

It would be nice if they did a tribute show in the next week.

9 minutes ago, AndyK77 said:

Very nice words and it is good that the tone has remained upbeat as that's exactly what she would have wanted.

Hopefully. I imagine Radio 2 may well dig deep into the archive as well and air something in tribute. Lovely tribute from Scott on his show just as well.

7 minutes ago, Jono said:

What amazes me is how little she did for Radio 2 compared to Radio 1. She was one where she wasn't ever going to be pushed into moving there.

I think she always wanted to played the music she loved, which she did. I admired hips she defied her age and always kept exploring new music in ways that you rarely see of elder broadcasters. Think its to say that if you enjoy what you do, and you good at it keep on doing it and that should mean no matter what age you are if you like music no matter of what genre or what era play it and that’s what she did. It’s with respect of the stations controllers that they never looked at her age and age of presenters as a barrier to bringing new music to generations younger than they are. It would’ve been a shame if she wasn’t allowed to continue when she was still at her finest. 

9 minutes ago, AndyK77 said:

I know they before the announcement of her death weeks previously had scheduled her series of programmes that ran on 6 Music around the 50th anniversary of Radio 1 on midnight Monday on 6 Music overnight. Quite possibly they maybe on demand early. Can imagine there will be varying tribute programming with some of the best mixes, interviews and moments across the BBC over coming days.

Very sad news. I remeber being i think around 16yrs of age totally obsessed with Radio 1 and would wake up during the night just to hear her shows because i knew how important she was to the station. Years later worked nights and it became a real treat to have her on. Beautiful tribute from Matt and Mollie earlier.

I remember when Peel died in 2004. I think they put Rob Da Bank onto his slot for a while, it was nothing to say 'here's a replacement'. Was just to basically fill the two hours really and see how it went.

on the grid.

25 minutes ago, BBCAaron said:

Respectably, I expect it won’t be something the station would be thinking about right now.

They can easily keep the slot as it has been lately for a while without saying much.

It would be nice to keep the spirit of Annie by placing an innovative up and coming female DJ in that slot.