Unofficial Mills

Terrorism in Britain

Mike

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember all the big events: Diana, 9/11, July 7th. You can't ever forget where you were or what you were doing.

I remember 9/11 well, I was working in a screen printing company which was managed by an American boss :shock:, we ended up watching CNN on the internet as we didnt have any tv at the office, when we heard one tower had gone it was a stunned silence, then the second went :(

I remember all the big events: Diana, 9/11, July 7th. You can't ever forget where you were or what you were doing.

tis true. I was 9 when Diana died and remember i was sat watching Nickelodeon and a newsflash came on bottom of the screen saying switch to sky news so we did, us being intruiged and that and went upstairs to tell mum though at the time im not even sure i knew who she was really.

And 9/11 i remember i got out of food tech class and met dad after school, he had radio 1 on and said there'd been a terrorist attack (i didnt know what a terrorist was then and though some country had been slagging off America, how niave).

July 7/7 Someone in our class got a phonecall during history and said there'd been something happening in London and as we were 6th form we were allowed to watch the news whereas the rest of the school couldnt.

Its true. I always remember where i was.

I hate all the stories about terrorists that's around at the moment, it frightens the life out of me.

Just got the local newspaper through the door, and its emerged that police were closing in on the two men who drove the car into Glasgow airport, minutes before it happened.

Just before the events, police had tried to contact a Paisley letting agency to find out the adresses of the two men. In other words, it could have been prevented.

When Diana died i remember walking into my parents bedroom and waking up my mum, saying that diana had died. she just told me to stop being silly, so i walked over to the tv in there room and put it on the news.

At 9/11 i remember being about 10, just started Year 6 at school. I went to the photocopier for something that the teacher wanted, and i remember on of the TSA's walking out of the staff room talking to another TSA in the library next door, i didn't even know what a terrorist was, i remember thinking nothing of it until i got home and watched BBC 1 All evening.

July 7th, One of my teachers had the TV on (was the start of the lesson after break) and he went to turn it off, The newsflash came on and we spent all lesson watching the news.

>> I'm on here every now and again... <<

http://www.offthechartradio.co.uk

I was 9 when Diana died and 13 on 9/11. I always knew what a terrorist was because there have always been signs and announcements about reporting suspicious bags on trains and train stations in London and my dad told me about the IRA. I was only familiar with car bombs and bombs in bags as terrorist weapons though.

I was in France when I heard that Diana died and we couldn't get that day's newspapers, only the ones from the previous day which were all about her affair with Dodi Al Fayed and contained lots of details I probably shouldn't have been reading at the age of 9. I remember on the day of her funeral I was at my friend's house and only channel 5 wasn't showing the funeral so we watched cartoons on it.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

I remember where I was and what I was doing for the three aforementioned events too. I have friends in London, and one was only round the corner from one of the 7/7 bus bombs when it was detonated. And my brother in law would occasionally transfer to his work's office in the WTC. It's always concerning how close it can be to you.

As DC pointed out, the Twin Towers were designed to cope with such a collision - unfortunately one key component (a fire-retardant foam I think in the building cavities, on the main supporting metal structures) wasn't maintained properly, i.e. kept at original levels. It's been said this may have allowed the metal to get too hot, buckle, and the buildings fall.

Lucinda and DC summed it up nicely earlier in my opinion - that the British temperament is generally less likely to be as affected by the threat of imminent terrorism. Best not to let it affect your plans, or the terrorists get a result.

I was 14 when Diana died. I remember it being a Sunday and being up really early for some reason. I remember my sister wanting to watch Nickelodeon and me turning the tv on to see the image of Diana, with the dates 1961-1997. It didn't sink in for about 10 seconds that she had died. I remember telling my dad and he went and told my mum, who cried for much of the rest of the day.

I was 18 when 9/11 happened and it was the day after I'd had a job interview. I remember I was home watching Different Strokes on Trouble and then switching over to News 24 to see the image of the World Trade Centre, with smoke billowing out from one of the towers and them re-playing the plane crashes. I was just agog for about ten minutes, confused as to what the hell was happening. Then news came in of the attack on the Pentagon and the rest is history. It was a truly surreal thing to watch unfold before my eyes on television and a day that I won't ever forget for as long as I live.

For Dianas death, i was 7, and remember getting up at about 9am. Mum and dad shouted on me to go outside and get the sunday papers that were lying on our doorstep. I remember reading it, barely knowing who Princess Diana was, yet somehow recognising that this was a major thing. I ran inside and shouted to Mum and Dad that she had died, and remember them clearly laughing and telling me to stop messing around. I gave them the papers, and the look of shock on parents' face was unforgettable.

Yeah I remember her death, I was downstairs watchinig telly early like a keen and saw what had happenend on the news, I shouted up to my parents who didnt believe me at first but then they found out.

twitter.com/emgreatorex

I would've been 7 when Diana died, and I remember waking Mum up to tell her about it. She just told me to stop being silly and tried to go back to sleep, so I turned on the TV and showed her. I don't remember anything else from that day, but I remember the funeral.

I was 10 when 9/11 happened, I was at home with Mum. It was just us, since the other kids were at school, and I had a chest infection. At that age, I was actually more interested in the fact that the BBC took Diagnosis Murder off to show the news report. I know, selfish eh? :oops: Again, I don't really remember much since we moved to Ireland later that week, and that was one of the most important changes of my life, so 9/11 kinda takes back seat in my memories.

As DC pointed out, the Twin Towers were designed to cope with such a collision - unfortunately one key component (a fire-retardant foam I think in the building cavities, on the main supporting metal structures) wasn't maintained properly, i.e. kept at original levels. It's been said this may have allowed the metal to get too hot, buckle, and the buildings fall.

yes all this seems true. it was an awful event but i have a valid interest in the world trade center towers and what happened. i know that they wern't built like any other skyscrapers, as in when just one floor collapsed the pancake effect kicked in. it was all based on the 'truss' design which is fatal in a fire, they put all the weight on the outershell and the core collumn. but it only takes the weakest point to fail. the twin towers fell at 120 mph it must of been horrible to be in them, there were actually infact some survivours that were near the base of the north tower when it fell. and they told their story, it's unreal that they escaped that.

whats even more stunning for me is seeing the pictures of them being built, it's strange seeing them with the cranes on top only half finished. and seeing the guys building them not knowing what it would all be a part of in 30+ years. and if there is one thing what i get pi*sed off about it is the likes of that dj sammy doing a remix of his 'heaven' song. and all the chavs stick it on their myspace not having a f*cking clue about what really went on. any hard worked documentary about it like inside 9/11 they just wouldn't understand.

but even so no matter how many things i see i will never understand myself why they go to such extents to do this. the scum that flew the passenger jets into the wtc were only young guys themselves, and they did it for a silly old man who lives in a cave and says he loves death. something that i am yet to see him face. he just sends weak-minded fools to do his work, the look on their faces when they realise they just ended their life for nothing must be priceless.

on the grid.

Two men have been arrested in Blackburn under the terrorism act. They had just had a delivery of two gas canisters...

I remember well where I was when Baghdad's power was seized too. Watching Sky News, with Glandular Fever. Beginning of April if I recall.

I must have been about 4 when Diana died, I can remember not really knowing what was going on but knowing someone really bad must have happened because my mum was crying all the time.

9/11, I was in year five, and can remember being sat watching the television when I got home, and I didn't even know what a terrorist was.

7/7 I remember really well, I was year eight and the girl next to me in history got a text saying London had been bombed, then me and friend went home at lunch and watched it all unfold on tv, I felt sick to my stomach.