Unofficial Mills

Missing Madeleine McCann

Jono

We've not spoken much about Maddy, but just to bring you up to scratch with news on Sky News in the last minute or two...

"There are reports that an Italian man has been arrested in Spain for the suspected kidnapping of Madeleine McCann."

I seriously hope she's okay, and that they find her. She's the same age as my sister, and I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to her.

Mind you, I hope it serves as a lesson to her parents. You don't leave kids of that age alone. You just don't do it. If they do find, and I really hope they do, her parents think about what they do in future.

I'm not really sure what to make of all this and whether to have any sympathy. The parents left their kids in an unlocked hotel room in a foreign country, while they buggered off to a restaurant for a meal, a fact which the papers, tv etc seem to keep hush hush. Nothing to do with them gettin Max Clifford on board, surely? Also, what makes this case so different from the thousands of other children that go missing each year? And those that go missing in circumstances that aren't due to their parents ignorance and, dare I say it, selfishness?

Mafroafro.png

MY gaming blog, read it: http://hegotgames.blogspot.com

It's the children I feel so sorry for, how many times before this did the parents leave their children on the own, we will never know, and this is 2 Doctors, had it been a single mum there would not have been this much coverage i'm sure and the women would have been slated.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Actually I do own the road

No sympathy for the parents, maybe so. But its not the little girls fault. She could be anywhere in the world with anything being done to her, i think its unfair to say you have no sympthay really.

I did mean no sympathy for the parents, I'm fed up of seeing photos of them them plastered all over the papers rather than the child.

Mafroafro.png

MY gaming blog, read it: http://hegotgames.blogspot.com

My bone of contention regarding all of this lies with the media. I find it truly bewildering the amount of publicity this one single incident has gathered since it happened, especially when one considers that all of the other incidences of abducted and missing children go largely overlooked and under-reported in the media.

In stark contrast, why do large news broadcasters such as ITV, BBC et al seldom broadcast reports on the plight of dying children in Africa except when Bob Geldof decides it's time for some personal publicity? One must consider that 12 MILLION children have been ORPHANED in Africa through infection of AIDS and HIV. Whilst I am horrified and appalled by the disappearance of Madeleine McGann, I do contest that on a scale of doomed children, 12 million to one bear more significance yet fail to make the headlines or generate as much interest as Madeleine McGann. My natural cynicism might contribute that the family of Madeleine are wealthy, nuclear and white and most of the aforementioned children of Africa are not. I cannot juxtapose a more contrasting argument than that.

Oh and before I get accused of and stick for jumping in with a contemptuous, misanthropical and uncaring approach to the plight of Madeleine McGann, I'll add that I think it truly heartbreaking and that my empathic feelings of horror and anguish cannot ever equal those that the parents of Madeleine McGann must be experiencing.

Yeah, I'm with Serin on this one as well (and Mafro and Riz as well, why did her parents even leave her alone in the first place?), the amount of media coverage given to this whole "Maddie" thing is verging on the ridiculous. I do empathise with her family but why should this particular incident of abduction be prioritised above all others...?

So save the last dance

For me my love 'cause I

I see you as an angel freshly fallen from the sky...