Unofficial Mills

One year on

onlyME

Honestly? Their show is pretty awful. I gave it the benefit of the doubt when it started as taking over from Scott and Chris was always going to be difficult and any new show would need time to find its feet, but over the past 12 months it's just gotten worse and worse.

The features aren't particularly interesting and a lot of the banter between songs is pathetic. When Vick and Jordan started their show wasn't amazing but the managed to lean into the awkwardness and now it's a fun listen. Dean and Vicky tried to do the same (that Malli-hoo rubbish) but it hasn't helped.

Vick is certainly worse than Dean and this was more apparent when she was paired with other DJs when Dean was away.

I was actually disappointed when I heard it was their 1 year anniversary today as I was hoping they were going to get binned off and replaced with Sam and Danny.

I must admit I only have Dean and Vicky on in the background without listening too closely as work is mostly busy but it is notable that even when I am busy Vick and Jordan or Greg still jump out when they do something interesting.

However, it isn't so awful that I find it bugging me so much that I need to switch over.  I used to feel like that about Dean on his own.

1 hour ago, riksweeney said:

Vick is certainly worse than Dean and this was more apparent when she was paired with other DJs when Dean was away.

Funny how we experience things in different ways. To my ears, Dean cramps Vicky's style, more so than any of the substitutes.

Agreed overall it's a big step down from Scott & Chris - But then, it was bound to be.

Not a fan unfortunately. Their show just feels like a bit of a non-event to be honest which is such a change from when i was Scott & Chris and there seemed to be so much content and chat in that slot. You compare Dean & Vicky's slot to Matt & Mollie's show on Friday, Saturday and Sunday which is vastly superior and there always feels a lot going on and the show full of energy, laughs and life.

Agree with others too that I prefer Vicky when she's been on with other DJs instead whether that be James Cusack or Emil Franchi.

I get too that the 'outside London' factor maybe played a part but I'm not sure why Dean & Vicky were promoted quite so rapidly to daytime. It felt far too soon for both.

For my money some of the other 'Christmas intake' DJs like James Cusack, Emil and Sam & Danni were and are stronger DJs. Plus while it was probably an impossible task for anybody to replace Scott & Chris but Matt & Mollie would've been the safe choice and done a decent enough fist of it in the short-term.

Plus if Radio 1 really wanted a weekday show outside London then Katie Thistleton is right there or you could've your nerve until Sam & Danni were ready if they're doing a non-London show anyway.

43 minutes ago, coffeeandgin said:

Not a fan unfortunately. Their show just feels like a bit of a non-event to be honest which is such a change from when i was Scott & Chris and there seemed to be so much content and chat in that slot. You compare Dean & Vicky's slot to Matt & Mollie's show on Friday, Saturday and Sunday which is vastly superior and there always feels a lot going on and the show full of energy, laughs and life.

Agree with others too that I prefer Vicky when she's been on with other DJs instead whether that be James Cusack or Emil Franchi.

I get too that the 'outside London' factor maybe played a part but I'm not sure why Dean & Vicky were promoted quite so rapidly to daytime. It felt far too soon for both.

For my money some of the other 'Christmas intake' DJs like James Cusack, Emil and Sam & Danni were and are stronger DJs. Plus while it was probably an impossible task for anybody to replace Scott & Chris but Matt & Mollie would've been the safe choice and done a decent enough fist of it in the short-term.

Plus if Radio 1 really wanted a weekday show outside London then Katie Thistleton is right there or you could've your nerve until Sam & Danni were ready if they're doing a non-London show anyway.

I think Katie Thistleton could’ve superbly managed it solo and think could’ve been a good spot for breathing within the station that has a personality that has ideas to make a bit of laugh out loud fun with the listener and even when she engages with a listeners in an intimate way understanding what Scott said as his final link about if you have a rubbish day or going through a hard patch just chuck the radio on and she understands what it means to have good company for the listener.

For a duo of new personalities they really needed to put their effort in making it something good and bigging it up with event listening features or big name guests like what they atleast though with a declining Breakfast with Nick Grimshaw in figures a presenter who’s first permanent daytime slot was breakfast had big ideas from day 1.

I think if they just had one presenter than a duo you are expecting a lot more.

They are 'OK' but that's about as far as it goes for me, then saying that it's Radio 1 in general now for me anyway. Likewise to the above, when Scott is on I'm tuned into him because his show just suits better. It's more the music that makes me switch about nowdays. 2 when 80s before my time comes on, and 1 when 'gimmie a quid or man will stab ya nan' type grime comes on.

on the grid.

13 hours ago, coffeeandgin said:

For my money some of the other 'Christmas intake' DJs like James Cusack, Sam & Danni were and are stronger DJs.

Ok I strongly agree with all of the above unfortunately. Harsh but I don't think the show has really got any better a year on and it can grate hard. I heard "tell us what you did this summer and we'll jazz up your summer" on monday and thought how lazy. Something about a poet and doing posh voices the other week too, really bad. The reg features don't give me any emotion almost an ick. This wonder box and overheard thing sounds dead and it seems to attract old women callers.

I would have preferred Sam and danni on there, or James cusack by himself. When you compare what he does and theres only one of him...... far better than the current offering and they didn't really need another duo with the other 2 shows either side a trio and duo. His features and things he does are target audience ( target audience myself) original and actually entertaining, bit of a hybrid of Mills and jordan. That show was a nice idea but i'd be switching out for something above before they ask if I want my spring szn jazzing up.

I think part of the problem is simply that it is a slightly artificial duo.  If we look at the others

RMC - Rickie and Melvin were friends at Uni and have worked with Charlie for so long that their chemistry is very natural. (Even if more could be done with the show).

Vick and Jordan - Vick is an experienced co-host and Jordan seems able to work with anybody with ease. 

Sam and Danni - friends who started doing radio together at Uni.

Matt & Mollie - Like Jordan, Matt seems to have a natural way of working with anyone and Mollie came from a background of sharing the stage with others in a band.

Vick and Katie - Katie is just the female version of Jordan in many ways. So no wonder Vick and Katie work as a duo and Jordan and Katie are literally on fire when together.

I think there is clearly a lot of pressure on the BBC radio bosses to ensure more shows are coming from outside of London....probably more pressure than has been publicly said over the issue.

Just look at the likes of Radio 2 moving Early Breakfast when Vanessa left, and 6 Music announcing their Drive Time show changes for 2024.

I think this probably played a HUGE part in Dean & Vicky ending up with this show. 

1 minute ago, Ash101 said:

I think there is clearly a lot of pressure on the BBC radio bosses to ensure more shows are coming from outside of London....probably more pressure than has been publicly said over the issue.

Just look at the likes of Radio 2 moving Early Breakfast when Vanessa left, and 6 Music announcing their Drive Time show changes for 2024.

I think this probably played a HUGE part in Dean & Vicky ending up with this show. 

But don't forget, if this was true, Katie could've done this show aswell.

1 hour ago, GregJames_fan said:

I suspect she turned them down, Katie and Dean had covered for Scott a few times before, and they were probably then gonna put Vicky where Katie is now.

Katie had her degree which finished this year I think.

1 hour ago, GregJames_fan said:

Agree and I really would have preferred that. But she may end up in a better position if she ends up on Breakfast with Jordan in the next 5 years.

I don't really listen to Dean & Vicky on the regular, but I'm never really impressed whenever I catch them. The only time I've seen their strength in recent times is when they did Early Breakfast during the DJ Hunt week. It was by far a stronger EB than Nat O'Leary who was barely speaking... it didn't involve any of their crabby features & the chat was all focused on helping find clues for the hunt to hand to Greg at half 7.

I guess this probably proves they are OK at content presenters, but nowhere near the top... but not quite at the bottom either!

3 hours ago, ianwilk1999 said:

Ok I strongly agree with all of the above unfortunately. Harsh but I don't think the show has really got any better a year on and it can grate hard. I heard "tell us what you did this summer and we'll jazz up your summer" on monday and thought how lazy. Something about a poet and doing posh voices the other week too, really bad. The reg features don't give me any emotion almost an ick. This wonder box and overheard thing sounds dead and it seems to attract old women callers.

I would have preferred Sam and danni on there, or James cusack by himself. When you compare what he does and theres only one of him...... far better than the current offering and they didn't really need another duo with the other 2 shows either side a trio and duo. His features and things he does are target audience ( target audience myself) original and actually entertaining, bit of a hybrid of Mills and jordan. That show was a nice idea but i'd be switching out for something above before they ask if I want my spring szn jazzing up.

I mean I haven’t listened but the overheard at radio 1 marlarky sounds a bit childish cringe and something that is a one off dud feature. It seems like throwing out any ideas in the wind and hoping one sticks from this description with little thought of quality. 

I think that and I do hope that the next controller of radio when Matt & Mollie to RMC leave their slots that there isn’t new pairings if would be fair for Sam & Danni to be up for promotion together but there isn’t need for more random pairing fixtures

1 hour ago, Ash101 said:

Yes as DG Tim had big commitment to have programmign coming out from different ends of the U.K. and how got Radio 1X coming out of Birmingham for few of their shows and for Radio 1 Lifehacks, Future Soul and Dean & Vicky good number out of London in Salford. 

I must admit, I echo what others have said above. I never thought I'd start to move on from Radio 1, but I have definitely started to move towards being a Radio 2 listener now. Although I massively miss Scott & Chris on R1, I think Scott has settled in well at Radio 2. I also agree Matt & Mollie would've been a much stronger choice for that slot. It's one of a few shows I do still enjoy.  

Scott & Chris' departure was definitely one of the biggest losses to Radio 1 in my opinion. I can't help but feel Dean's rise to weekday daytime was rather sudden, Vicky's even more so. Had they started up on weekends together, it wouldn't 'maybe' have sounded so so jarring?

Greg is by far the best DJ on the station now. Fingers crossed he stays for a while longer yet. 

-RMC feel very wasted in their slot. They would've suited the 1pm slot as well. It just feels very crowded having 3 people on mid mornings. I can't help but feel they won't move beyond their current slot, although Charlie might have an extended future with Dance Anthems.

-Sam & Danni are probably the best of the new intake, and have been long overdue a permanent slot. I'm sure they'll make the new weekend breakfast show their own, hopefully they progress to weekdays in the next couple of years. 

20 hours ago, GregJames_fan said:

Katie did once cover with dean on scotts 1-4 show so I wonder if it didn't work out. Either way both Katie and James Cusack should be on the station more. They're both doing much better stuff than the likes of RMC and definitely dean and vicky and they are much more relatable to someone like me in target audience

16 hours ago, NathanS said:

Greg is by far the best DJ on the station now. Fingers crossed he stays for a while longer yet. 

-RMC feel very wasted in their slot. They would've suited the 1pm slot as well. It just feels very crowded having 3 people on mid mornings. I can't help but feel they won't move beyond their current slot, although Charlie might have an extended future with Dance Anthems.

-Sam & Danni are probably the best of the new intake, and have been long overdue a permanent slot. I'm sure they'll make the new weekend breakfast show their own, hopefully they progress to weekdays in the next couple of years. 

Yeah agree with this. I loved RMC’s evening show, not for the music but the content. There was some real good stuff in there.

Hopefully it doesn’t happen for many years, but post-Greg, I’d be tempted to move RMC to Afternoons to allow Vick to go solo on the Live Lounge with Jordan & Katie teaming up at Breakfast.

or even put RMC on at Drive, but I do think it’s probably right that they use Drive as the place to sure up the next Breakfast show. So I’d like to see Sam & Danni move there after their weekend stint. 

3 minutes ago, Ash101 said:

Yeah agree with this. I loved RMC’s evening show, not for the music but the content. There was some real good stuff in there.

Hopefully it doesn’t happen for many years, but post-Greg, I’d be tempted to move RMC to Afternoons to allow Vick to go solo on the Live Lounge with Jordan & Katie teaming up at Breakfast.

or even put RMC on at Drive, but I do think it’s probably right that they use Drive as the place to sure up the next Breakfast show. So I’d like to see Sam & Danni move there after their weekend stint. 

I think RMC’s times got to be up at the station. I think Vick would be good choice for the mid-morning she could easily take something song feature there and could do some more music centric features.