Unofficial Mills

Xfm axes daytime DJs

Peñate

I really like Julyan Sinclair(Cameron off of Big Brothers brother), who does the afternoons up here in Scotland. All music surely means that they will have to bump up the amount of adverts to pay all of the fees- I'd rather hear talk than more ads!

caitlynmac.png

It will be all music from 10am to 4pm much like The Storm was. This will effect all of its stations. I think it's a great move.

mabie they will stop thinking they are a big station now and hopefully shut down. it's hippie all day on there isn't it? i say kerrang is a better station by far.

and yes lets have the old mtv back!

on the grid.

The Storm was brilliant, I was gutted they closed it down. Virgin Xtreme is quite similar to that, doesn't seem to have DJs much/at all. I think this might work, I think I might listen to it more. I still hate Lauren Laverne though and I reckon she'll still be on.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

Mine either! I only found out yesterday that Julian (Cameron off of Big Brother's Brother) is a DJ on there! I quite fancy him and was gonna start tuning in!! I just loooove his accent!!

Yeah! Its quite soothing listening to him haha.

Blergh, a radio station needs personality. Like Geezer says, nothing worse than just songs followed by adverts followed by songs again. Meh.

Apart from she left months ago. Alex Zane tookover from her.

Not really a fan of him either. So this sounds like a good change. Before 10am DJs don't bother me much, as I am rarely awake at that time.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

• 3 weeks later...

Andy Parfitt, controller of Radio 1, has poured scorn on predictions of the “death of the DJ” on radio, claiming that digital and traditional broadcasting will exist in “hybrid” form in the future.

Parfitt’s comments follow speculation that leading stations will eventually drop presenters and hand schedules over to interactive listener voting, as Xfm is set to do with its daytime slot.

Parfitt said: “There’s no denying the power of the Bebos and the MySpaces of this world, and the opportunities that they bring.

“But it’s not an either/or scenario for radio. I see a hybrid world which will last for many years.

“People say this is the end of the DJ – but when you look at web use it’s for personal pursuits. Listeners need a figurehead, like Zane Lowe for example, to lean upon.”

Parfitt claimed that it was a “myth” that there is a large number of “teched-up 17-year-olds” with access to wireless internet, iPod and mobile phone technology.

“These devices are, in fact, in different areas of the house, if at all. It’s far more fragmented than people see it. And it’s telling that despite this fragmentation, there’s no waning in the desire for broadcasting.”

http://www.mad.co.uk/Main/News/Articlex/11a4d22b50ee429da6b63a02036cf9e3/Parfitt-rejects-%E2%80%98death-of-the-DJ%E2%80%99.html

a radio with no dj? how will we find the next mark & lard or scott mills this way? stations which like the play a 'variety' of music, and try to cut out the dj get boring. if i wanted music all the time i would buy an i pod.

on the grid.

But there is still adverts so revenue is being made? Companies will pay money regardless of 10 - 4pm with no presenters. They havent got rid of any djs. If you think about it the average show on xfm is longer than Radio 1, non-bbc radio usually is longer so its about 3 Presenters. The presenters are still on.

They need someone to play the songs, its an interactive show between 10 - 4, so they'll need people to be around, for example in case of problems both internal and external of the radio station.

It is actually sounding really good. It doesnt really effect the majority of people really as they are at work or dont have time to listen to the radio. I'd understand if they axed all of the Presenters and had no one at any time, but we are talking 10 - 4 where the majority of people are elsewhere doing something important.

I personally don't see what the fuss is about, if the figures go down then so what? Its a mistake, but the music is still on. Some people just want to listen to music instead of some presenter going on about how hot it oustide and what they had for tea last night?!

Most stations lose money anyway, so its not really a problem. Most stations lose listeners. They'l think of something if they do and maybe it will backfire. The rajars are too late now in the process for this to show, so it'll be october until we see if this has made a noticeable difference.

507033771.183.1247039672.png

• 8 months later...

Xfm is dropping the speech-less Xu format of their daytime programmes and re-introducing presenters, starting in London with drive time host Rick Shaw moving to the mid-morning 9am - 1pm slot.

Current weekend jock Dave Berry will takeover drive time from March 25th. Rick’s show will also see the return of the X-list from 9am -10am – an hour of classic indie tracks.

Xfm London’s programme director Adam Uytman said "This is a really positive signing for Xfm. We have had great feedback from our listeners about Dave’s Saturday show and it will be great to have a London voice on the daytime schedule. We will shortly be announcing the host of the afternoon show and changes to the weekend schedule – so many more exciting changes ahead!”

Dave Berry said: "To be given the drive time show on XFM is a great honor. I welcome the responsibility of getting people home safely with their indie sensibilities intact."

http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?extend.3134