Unofficial Mills

Friday Night Radio

Old Codger Fan

On 1/29/2023 at 5:52 PM, coffeeandgin said:

Really like dance music so for me it's Party Anthems to begin then some of Danny's show. And if I'm cooking some dinner I'll stick on the Capital Weekender.

MistaJam is good. But also like 6 Music’s People Party with Afrodeutche if I turn on the radio. Don’t tend to listen to too much radio on Friday nights every now and then.

On 1/30/2023 at 11:17 AM, Old Codger Fan said:

I'm sorted at 9pm, with the only show of interest to me on Boom (The 70's Hour), then the comedic rantings of Nick Abbot on LBC at 10pm .... But, as for before then ...Keep those suggestions coming, folks!

You really put the old into the codger fan bit cheeky of me to say that I listened to a bit of him short bit of Nick Abott but he is an acquired taste for me thats the thing for talk radio presenters. Probably nice enough lad but not my type of radio.

12 hours ago, BBCAaron said:

But also like 6 Music’s People Party with Afrodeutche if I turn on the radio.

Tried - But always some godawful noise of a track thrown in, just as I'm starting to relax into it ...

12 hours ago, BBCAaron said:

... Nick Abott but he is an acquired taste for me thats the thing for talk radio presenters ... but not my type of radio.

Followed him for more years than I care to add up - From Radio Luxembourg onwards! ... His Virgin 2015 show (where he played maybe 3 or 4 music tracks an hour) was a great format - Not something we're ever likely to see again, in these days of 'narrow-casting' ..

10 hours ago, Old Codger Fan said:

Tried - But always some godawful noise of a track thrown in, just as I'm starting to relax into it ...

Followed him for more years than I care to add up - From Radio Luxembourg onwards! ... His Virgin 2015 show (where he played maybe 3 or 4 music tracks an hour) was a great format - Not something we're ever likely to see again, in these days of 'narrow-casting' ..

Fairs fair,  with Afrodeutche some of 6 Music’s programming can be polarising something I listen to or catch up to but remembered Friday nights tend to catch up with the Elis James & John Robins Podcast didn’t know he was even on Virgin Radio in 2015. Seems like an alright format of chucking the odd track in between a chat with Abott.

9 hours ago, Old Codger Fan said:

John Kennedy is like a diamond in the rubble on that station ... But as you're the second person now to recommend the Indie Night, I'll give that a whirl tomorrow ...

Very rare you have a radio show on commercial station where a presenter plays new music and feels very curated around new artists with such a passion and delves into big interviews and album playbacks. You right with the diamond in the rubble something that feels unique and not replicated anywhere else. That’s what makes his show stands out on radio x

14 hours ago, Old Codger Fan said:

I've officially binned Sara Cox tonight - 'Everything Is Awesome' and 'We Don't Talk About Bruno' in the same hour - Beyond appalling ....

What's wrong with them? Quite regular for the station. It's also no different to when you get nonsense songs like that one about Blackberry Phones requested on 10 Minute Takeover or others on Something Songs.

27 minutes ago, UnofficialStark said:

What's wrong with them? Quite regular for the station. It's also no different to when you get nonsense songs like that one about Blackberry Phones requested on 10 Minute Takeover or others on Something Songs.

Each one was preceded by a track of timeless brilliance (Good Vibrations, and Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing).

These juxtapositions just broke me.

I'll try one more week ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2/2/2023 at 11:04 PM, BBCAaron said:

Fairs fair,  with Afrodeutche some of 6 Music’s programming can be polarising something I listen to or catch up to but remembered Friday nights tend to catch up with the Elis James & John Robins Podcast didn’t know he was even on Virgin Radio in 2015. Seems like an alright format of chucking the odd track in between a chat with Abott.

Meant to post this weeks but agreed on most of that, Nick Abbott wasn't on Virgin in 2015. What old codger fan meant was Virgin 1215. 1215 meaning the AM frequency aka what is now Absolute Radio. Its way before my time but yeah I have heard good things about it