Unofficial Mills

Could Scott Ever Take Bruce’s show

BBCAaron

Quoted from Ian Hyland ‘In the latest Radio Times, Trevor Dann (former head of BBC Music Entertainment) suggests Scott Mills has been brought to Radio 2 to replace Ken Bruce in a year or so. If he's right, we riot.’ Hyland is the TV critic for the Daily Mirror. I’d assume this is hearsay and unlikely. Could it to drive up anger with Radio 2 ‘ageism’ pushing out its older names and going for ‘younger’ broadcasters’ I expect Scott to settle in to afternoons for a good few years on Radio 2 and if Bruce announced a departure retirement for the sake of more time to spend travelling abroad, doing hobbies, family or any health issues given he is at retirement age. I’d see the station looking at figures like Lauren Laverne, Trevor Nelson and Edith Bowman as his likely successors. More time for music features that listeners like maybe carrying on with stuff similar to ‘Tracks Of My Years’, ‘Pop Masters’ and the ‘Piano Room’ or ‘Piano Lounges whatever they call it. If Fearne Cotton did still continued to do live daily radio and radio cover, instead of the podcasts and the pre-recorded 90’s show focusing on ‘Happy Place’ brand and more of self care with depression and anxiety think she’d be still a top name in for the job.

Hope Scott’s tenure in the afternoon’s allows him to evolve naturally doing stuff with big guests in similar to Wright but over time adapt his style and form a new age of the Scott Mills humour that hope becomes integral piece of the stations furniture and personality.  It will be interesting to see how soon the BBC’s next major radio change happens. Assuming BBC’s focus would be on the new BBC News TV service merger and such prepped changes for the future of CBBC and BBC Four content once those channels are turned off air.

I’d thought it would be the case of making the current new programming across Radio 1, 2 and 1 Xtra settled in without any forced major changes to line up except for any retirements. 

9 hours ago, Bob said:

I’m thinking he’s in for a year or so then take over from Zoe on breakfast, she will of been doing it for a while and will be soon fed up of getting up at silly O’clock. 

It's a fair point.  I don't see Zoe Ball wanting to do Breakfast for a very long time.

She could even end up staying and taking Ken's slot.

I often think Ken Bruce and Terry Wogan were very very similar in broadcast style and even personality.  You could imagine that Ken has a plan to retire on his terms - going out on a high as a rarely criticised broadcaster and the most popular music radio show in the country.  It is sad for Steve Wright that his departure isn't really of his choosing.  He probably should have removed himself a few years back.

I personally think he'll end up on drive or breakfast. The only thing I can see stopping the latter is that I don't see Zoë Ball giving up on breakfast just yet (without them offering her another high profile slot, even then I can't see it happening yet), and history repeating itself with Sara Cox taking over, who was the favourite to replace Chris Evans last time.

As for Ken, unless Helen Thomas really wanted to be really bold, I really cannot see the urgency to replace him yet. The station has already changed massively over the past 3 years both in presenter line up, and change in music policy. I also question the urgency of replacing Steve Wright now to be fair. When the time comes, hopefully it's Ken's decision. As for potential successors, it'll be someone established at R2 familiar with the listeners.

OJ Borg would be a good shout, he's been on overnights for a few years now, so hopefully he progresses to daytimes at some point. That show would then be a good candidate for the show outside of London as well as he's based in Salford. Vernon Kay would also be a good shout, although it's be a good idea for him to starting to build up some more prominent daytime cover more frequently (he has done some breakfast and afternoon cover) but hasn't so much lately for whatever reason. I imagine depending on any other changes in the future, Sara Cox and Zoë Ball would also be likely names to be thrown into the hat.

4 hours ago, NathanS said:

I personally think he'll end up on drive or breakfast. The only thing I can see stopping the latter is that I don't see Zoë Ball giving up on breakfast just yet (without them offering her another high profile slot, even then I can't see it happening yet), and history repeating itself with Sara Cox taking over, who was the favourite to replace Chris Evans last time.

As for Ken, unless Helen Thomas really wanted to be really bold, I really cannot see the urgency to replace him yet. The station has already changed massively over the past 3 years both in presenter line up, and change in music policy. I also question the urgency of replacing Steve Wright now to be fair. When the time comes, hopefully it's Ken's decision. As for potential successors, it'll be someone established at R2 familiar with the listeners.

OJ Borg would be a good shout, he's been on overnights for a few years now, so hopefully he progresses to daytimes at some point. That show would then be a good candidate for the show outside of London as well as he's based in Salford. Vernon Kay would also be a good shout, although it's be a good idea for him to starting to build up some more prominent daytime cover more frequently (he has done some breakfast and afternoon cover) but hasn't so much lately for whatever reason. I imagine depending on any other changes in the future, Sara Cox and Zoë Ball would also be likely names to be thrown into the hat.

Agree about Scott getting R2 drive or breakfast, feels inevitable! Could end up with a stint on both...

I'd be surprised to see OJ promoted, he's a 'safe pair of hands' for overnights, maybe earlies and for cover but nothing more IMO. I'd expect to see Vine's eventual replacement being the 'outside London' show. Vernon would fit well but depends if he wants the commitment given his other media work.

39 minutes ago, Bluestraw said:

Agree about Scott getting R2 drive or breakfast, feels inevitable! Could end up with a stint on both...

I'd be surprised to see OJ promoted, he's a 'safe pair of hands' for overnights, maybe earlies and for cover but nothing more IMO. I'd expect to see Vine's eventual replacement being the 'outside London' show. Vernon would fit well but depends if he wants the commitment given his other media work.

I think OJ Borg would be a figure for any surprise interim work like if a death of a presenter, illness or any immediate departure. He could be safe hands gap filler. Someone who could easily do more time where he is or a weekend playlist show at a time but don’t expect much more big things at the BBC. Not to say that in few years time a commercial rival would maybe like him to present a decent sized show. 

Drive is possible

• 2 months later...

I’d like to see Scott there.

Maybe it was my upbringing but I’ve always leaned toward R2’s playlist more than R1. The personalities on R1 were stronger. 
Ken has been sat in the seat for so many years. I think within 3-5 years scott will have the slot. It’s either there or if Zoe leaves..: he finally gets breakfast!