Unofficial Mills

Greg is the new Breakfast Show host as Nick Grimshaw quits

Jordan12

Just now, Ant L said:

Has the podcast episode changed? I listened on the iOS Podcasts app earlier and the full theme was there. Listening through that link now and it's just a bed.

Leaked a little early perhaps?

I was literally just thinking that. No imaging at all now, just 47 seconds of Greg talking

8 minutes ago, Ant L said:

Has the podcast episode changed? I listened on the iOS Podcasts app earlier and the full theme was there. Listening through that link now and it's just a bed.

Yep, I think they must have done it by accident, I listened to it on Pocketcasts and it's removed the episode already. Looks like it's only 47 seconds now, it was closer to 3-4 minutes when I heard it

Did anyone offline download the original before it was pulled?

Re: a daily podcast, that's an interesting decision. I'm very glad the show will be much more content heavy than Grimmy's but it'll be hard to keep up with two dailies. If push comes to shove, I'll bin Greg's to listen to Scott's cause I'll hear more of Greg live.

going through this and think i’m the only one whos going to miss grimmy on breakfast. I didnt mind that his show wasnt content heavy at that time in the morning, it felt more like you were chatting with a friend rather than it being a big event, which i worry greg will turn it back into. I know I may be jumping the gun but when you read between the lines Greg’s new show just sounds like less celebrities and more updating people on content found off Twitter and hearing listener’s stories. Yawn

5 hours ago, TMD_24 said:

Just wondering if the Where It Begins tagline has been dropped for "The 1"? I'm hearing that quite frequently across adverts, the chart show and now the breakfast show.

I agree with this totally! Where It Begins has been dropped from all TOHs, "The One FOR SUMMER" is on the festival trails, Annie Mac has a "Advert" on the telly at the moment which ends with "The One for new music", The official chart changes it up slightly with "The Only One, That Counts", and by the looks of it Greg has "The One to wake up with" (or something similar anyway)... Can't really just work "The One" into jingles though, needs to be the full thing else it wouldn't work...

1 hour ago, LSR1 said:

For those that missed the original, all I can explain the imaging as is it had a sung theme, which sounded like it could be quite chanty. They had a tagline like 'The one to wake up with' or something

Now that comes across as odd as Greg has mentioned somewhere that there aren't any sung jingles...  Hmm?

26 minutes ago, forde52 said:

Now that comes across as odd as Greg has mentioned somewhere that there aren't any sung jingles...  Hmm?

Apologies OohErr, i think i got a bit excited earlier and wasn’t even considering it a spoiler! It wasnt even a sung theme so maybe I am just jet lagged :D 

I’ve posted a better description of the ‘sung theme’ here, so that it isn’t spoiled for those who are waiting until Monday.

http://lsr1umpost.blogspot.com/2018/08/imaging-spoiler.html?m=1

4 hours ago, Ant L said:

Strange. You’d of thought greg would have got the all clear to put that up with all the imaging rather than changing it. Sounded good though.

hopefully recrecording the voiceover guy :giggle:

roll on Monday!

1 hour ago, OohErr said:

Not sure whether this is new or not. He almost implies HE didn't want Chris Smith on the show, and comes close to criticising Radio 1 bosses for not advancing Jordan North fast enough.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-45181591

It's probably the most revealing interview I've read with him (along with the Guardian one he did).

Some new information - Roisin Hastie will be the new newsreader. No massive surprise, I knew it'd be her or Bela Shah as they probably wanted a woman on the team seeing as it'll be Will Foster and Chris Sawyer producing along with Greg. Presume it'll be Steffan Powell or Steve Holden replacing Chris Smith in the afternoons.

Very interesting that he kind of implies the production team for his breakfast show jointly decided they wanted a whole new show and didn't want Chris Smith on it. Based on the "we're being separated" comment during the podcast, I'd imagine it was management and the new production team that decided they wanted a new direction for the show without Chris and Greg is just towing that line now.

Fair play to him for giving Jordan a push. It's great to see him getting cover for Scott and doing a lot of weekend shows that are more personality-led rather than Greatest Hits but you do feel like Jordan should be getting a full-time gig in a more high profile slot. He has to be a strong contender for Scott's slot when he leaves.

I do like that Jordan and Alice were the ones he singled out as the "great talent at R1". They're the two that stand out to me among the weekend presenters as well. I know there are a lot of Dev fans here but I feel like Alice should have that show on her own. Way more personality and potential on her own. 

I'm loving how much press there is about the show - yet another one has landed today! This time it's Scott Bryan at BuzzFeed (a fan of the show, he listens to the podcast and took part in the Paintalong) with a behind the scenes of the pilot shows.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/scottybryan/greg-james-breakfast-bbc-radio-1-interview?utm_term=.wvQe8g0enE#.fuvw5Xgwk2

I am really looking forward to hearing Greg's new show. Like the Buzzfeed article says, Greg has always put listeners first and always adapted his content to suit the audience. Something which you could say Grimmy failed on because he was so reliant on celeb guests/pals for contribution - that's why the days they didn't have guests on, the breakfast show sounded really stale.

• 2 weeks later...

A trail for Grimmy airing now, with the tagline "the one for going home". 

Very interested to see what this new show is like - he'll either have a new lease of life with fresh ideas and more freedom than he had on the breakfast show, or it'll be a continuation of his last few years on breakfast with entertainment news, Celebrity Gamble and very little else. I for one hope it's the former, I used to like him filling in for Scott and Greg in that slot.

I was a big fan of Grimmy's 10PM show, but they lost me soon after moving to breakfast with the celebrities & gossip theme, I think I haven't listened to his show in around 3-4 years except his very last one. Based on his "Best of" compilation it was a good decision. I'm hyped for this new show because I hope that this is about to change. My expectations include:

• Less celebs and gossip, more Grimmy and music related stuff, or just general silliness.
  • No more than 2 songs in a row, if they are all from the playlist.
  • Just surprise me, I'm not that hard to impress. Obviously it won't be like the 10PM show was, but as long as it feels like it to me, I'm in.

"Hope never dies" category:

• Involving Annie Mac in the last hour more than just a handover. (But an epic handover is the minimum.)
  • Revival of "1000 Albums Everyone Says You Should Listen To But We've Only Got Time To Play One Track So Here It Is..." (I just can't look forward without a little bit of nostalgia, can I...).

And if it turns out to be a letdown again, Scott and Greg are still there.

On 8/28/2018 at 5:49 AM, OohErr said:

A trail for Grimmy airing now, with the tagline "the one for going home". 

Very interested to see what this new show is like - he'll either have a new lease of life with fresh ideas and more freedom than he had on the breakfast show, or it'll be a continuation of his last few years on breakfast with entertainment news, Celebrity Gamble and very little else. I for one hope it's the former, I used to like him filling in for Scott and Greg in that slot.

I wonder if the show will have its own jingles and all, because it never did with Scott or Greg

20 hours ago, Lee E said:

I wonder if the show will have its own jingles and all, because it never did with Scott or Greg

I would assume from this that yes, yes he will! The sister company of Contraband Media who did his breakfast show imaging of late. Interested too see what they've done this time!