Unofficial Mills

Moyles To Stay

James R

CHRIS Moyles looks certain to stay on as Radio 1 breakfast host for at least TWO more years - after earlier being lined up for the boot.

The motormouth, 37, was tipped to be axed in July when his current one-year deal ends.

But Chris confirmed last night: "I'm staying. We've just got to finalise it. I hate saying that because I like them to think I might leave and then see if I can get nicer perks - like they might pay for tea or coffee in the morning."

BBC chiefs feared his regular listeners were getting too old for the station, but have now realised they have NO ONE to replace him. Greg James and Matt Edmondson, both 25, were thought to be too green. Chris - who fronts a C4 quiz show - is in talks and said to be pushing for a three-year deal, which would give him a decade on the brekkie show.

Bosses are believed to be willing to pay him £500,000 a year over two years.

A source said: "Talks are going well. He wants to stay and the Beeb wants him. The question is for how long."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/3509405/Chris-Moyles-to-stay-at-Radio-1.html

james_ryder.png

BBC chiefs feared his regular listeners were getting too old for the station

i find this quite insulting, and further proves my point (if this is whats really thought by bbc bosses) that radio 1 are ending up targeting an audience that are not much older than 16 years old maximum. so different and low to the radio 1 i used to love, what it'll sound like when chris and scott go i don't know. most people my age in 2000/1 when i was 12 and 13 wern't interested in radio 1, and they are going to be less interested with all the mp3 players around today.

25 is too 'green'? How old was Moyles when he moved from afternoons to breakfast again?

Don't think he was too much older than Greg/Matt are now (although was a better listen)

and when moyles was on afternoons, his show was probably bigger than sara cox's breakfast show for the station. if your good your good, although it's rightly argued that earlys and then afternoons were chris' best days.

on the grid.

For me if there was an obvious natural replacement for Chris then now would be a good time for him to move on. But there isn't, and I believe The Moyles Show has life in it yet, so they'd be daft to replace him now. The figures are still very strong, I have no proof but he seems to be attracting the right audience, no logic in booting him off now.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

Exactly. If his figures fall dramatically, boot him off, but that isn't going to happen for a while, and the show is sounding as good, if not better, than ever before. I think the audience and the amount of money raised for the marathon show, shows how much his audience likes him, and I think a large proportion would follow him to wherever he goes.

etheridge_tom.png

Great news that. I am enjoying Moyles more than ever at the moment. He is one of the best presenters of all times, absoulte Champions League. I wouldn't really have expected this because of the age-debate, but personally, I don't care about the age of a radio DJ as long as the show is entertaining. And the Moyles show definitely is.

I had to laugh at the "BBC chiefs have now realised they have NO ONE to replace him" bit :D As if they were sitting there thinking "okay, so who's there and could do the job? erm...erm...erm...(silence)...erm...anyone?" Great irony that The Sun was pulling names out of the hat all the time, yet no-one is actually capable of handling a breakfast show.

unique...

I think the huge success of the marathon show has taught the BBC, Radio 1, and possibly even Chris Moyles himself, that he is liked by his audience and has to stay. While I also don't think there is a natural, suitable, replacement for the show at the moment I also agree the show still has a lot of life left in it yet. Greg I think will be the best replacement when the time comes. He just needs to get used to doing shows with more and more listeners first. If Matt Edmondson ever gets given breakfast, well I think I'll just top myself because the world will have officially deteriorated to an irreversible low.

Not impressed with censorship

If Matt Edmondson ever gets given breakfast, well I think I'll just top myself because the world will have officially deteriorated to an irreversible low.
Haha...I'm gonna listen to his new show tonight to get a clear picture. I didn't particularly like his shows so far, but to be fair he never got the chance to develop his own show, it was all just stand-ins. And he was completely new to Radio at the beginning.

As for breakfast, Greg might seem the obvious choice now, but I think he has not a big enough personality to carry such a show. But then, he's young and has got time to develop.

Why do I even care? If Moyles really stays for another two years, I won't get to listen to his replacement much. That's when uni is over, so there will be considerably less time to listen to the radio ;)

unique...

When the rumour of him leaving was spread, everyone just said the papers were lying. Now they're saying he'll stay and everyone simply agrees. Isn't it the same rumour as always? You can't EVER be sure whether he's leaving or not, he's the only person that actually knows it.

I'm not quite sure what to make of what he said on Fern Britton's show. Haven't watched it, but can't he be saying anything on tv and then change his mind again? He hasn't confirmed that the contract has already been signed, has he?

But I really hope he'll stay, I always enjoy the Chris Moyles Show podcast!

"I like Franziska. Sounds mad as a box of frogs, but we like her." (Dev)

So maybe we will go another year without a significant schedule shake up.

Shame I think as while Moyles and Mills are still at the top of their game they are surrounded by drab and boring shows and they needed an opportunity to dosomething new. Greg and Fearne shows are easy listening just like some of the weekend stuff but nothing is a must listen any more.

When the rumour of him leaving was spread, everyone just said the papers were lying. Now they're saying he'll stay and everyone simply agrees. Isn't it the same rumour as always? You can't EVER be sure whether he's leaving or not, he's the only person that actually knows it.

I'm not quite sure what to make of what he said on Fern Britton's show. Haven't watched it, but can't he be saying anything on tv and then change his mind again? He hasn't confirmed that the contract has already been signed, has he?

But I really hope he'll stay, I always enjoy the Chris Moyles Show podcast!

This is based on more than rumour, its based on something he said live on television. From what he said on Fern it strongly suggests he'll be back, unless as he says something majorly changes. But you could argue the story is more likely to be true if the papers report he's staying. Him leaving is a considerably bigger story than him staying, so they'd be less likely to print a "he's staying story" of it isn't actually true.

ChrisHewgill.jpg