Unofficial Mills

Adrian Chiles quits BBC for GMTV

Jono

The One Show presenter Adrian Chiles is to join ITV and GMTV in a new four-year deal, it has been confirmed.

He will be a main host on the breakfast station and also front ITV's football coverage, including the World Cup, Champions' League and England matches.

BBC Breakfast's Chris Hollins is expected to replace Chiles on BBC One's weekday evening magazine show.

Earlier this month, Chris Evans was confirmed as the new presenter of The One Show on Friday evenings.

Chiles said he is "absolutely delighted" to be joining ITV.

"The chance to front ITV's football coverage and GMTV would have proved an irresistible opportunity at the best of times.

"But, coming as it did at an an awkward period for me at the BBC, it made the decision not quite as hard as it might have been."

He added that it was "no secret how disappointed" he was at the decision to alter The One Show's format, and said he would have been happy to remain at the BBC "doing the same shows on the same terms".

A BBC spokesman said: "We would like to thank Adrian for his contributions to his programmes and we wish him well for the future."

I would have been happy to stay at the BBC doing the same shows on the same terms, especially The One Show

Adrian Chiles

At the time of the announcement of Evans joining the show, the BBC said they were "keen" that Chiles remain part of the programme's presenting team.

They added that his contract was "still being negotiated".

Friday's new one-hour show will see Evans host alongside regular co-presenter Christine Bleakley.

Last year, Evans made his TV comeback appearing as a guest on The One Show.

Chiles' other presenting roles on the BBC include Apprentice spin-off You've Been Fired and Match of the Day 2.

The presenter is due to appear on the GMTV sofa five days a week from later this year, ITV said in a statement.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8629390.stm

Nice thought, but is there not a chance that Chappers' contract with ESPN(?) might have something in it about not appearing on other TV channels, be it digital/satellite or terrestrial?

I don't like or watch football but it would be nice to see/hear him from time to time, I miss his grumpy tones

Not impressed with censorship

Nice thought, but is there not a chance that Chappers' contract with ESPN(?) might have something in it about not appearing on other TV channels, be it digital/satellite or terrestrial?

Considering that he's currently presenting a football show on the BBC (it's on tonight) and he regularly covers Final Score on Saturdays on the BBC, I'm pretty sure that won't be an issue.

I've also heard Colin Murray mentioned as a name for MOTD2.

I'm a Adrian Chiles fan, and while I understand why he made his decision I can't help but think it's a bad move. I can't think of a single example of where someone's move from the BBC to ITV has been a success whether that be Antony Worrall Thompson or Des Lynam.

I wonder who'll replace him on 'The Apprentice: Your Fired', I suppose it'll be Gaby Logan for MOTD2.

I'm a Adrian Chiles fan, and while I understand why he made his decision I can't help but think it's a bad move. I can't think of a single example of where someone's move from the BBC to ITV has been a success whether that be Antony Worrall Thompson or Des Lynam.

You're right, add Steve Rider to that list, it really hasn't worked for a lot of people. But in his situation I'd have gone to ITV. The One Show is a programme he worked hard to make the success it is today, and then for no reason he is replaced for a show a week by someone else. Then ITV come along and offer him a million quid to front their biggest daytime show and the best football gig in the country, he'd be a fool to turn it down.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

never been a fan of Adrian dunno why not really seen much of him either as i don't watch the One Show either seems a bit pointless to me just like This Morning isn't it except crap ?

much as i hate to say it (regarding ITV :bah: ) i hope Adrian does well there, i will see even less of him now though :giggle: anyway,

hope that the One Show looses a lot of viewers now can see a lot of them moaning about Chris on the friday show as it is (trying the recreate TFI the beeb bosses are having a laugh aren't they) he is more grown up now, & he seems to be trying to hard now also, i have gone off him to be honest he had his chance & took it he was in the right place at the right time with big breakfast, tfi & the R1 show, he has lost his touch.

:)

I guess he's doing this for the football. He wouldn't get to do much in the WC with the bbc whilst it looks like he's going to front ITV's coverage, not bad given they have equal WC rights with BBC, FA Cup and Champions League. As for GMTV no-one watches it, he could just be doing it for the challenge.

I guess he's doing this for the football. He wouldn't get to do much in the WC with the bbc whilst it looks like he's going to front ITV's coverage, not bad given they have equal WC rights with BBC, FA Cup and Champions League. As for GMTV no-one watches it, he could just be doing it for the challenge.

He kicks up a fuss, and understandbly so, when The One Show producer's decide to give his role to someone else for one day a week. So he's moving to ITV, kicking Steve Rider, the guy who anchors their football coverage and is suppose to be fronting their World Cup coverage this summer, out the way in the process. He's going to be on the GMTV sofa 5 days a week, taking the place of Andrew Castle, John Stapleton and Ben Shepherd. As I said earlier I completely understand why he's leaving The One Show but this decision to move to ITV is simply ridiculous. He's doing to Steve Rider, John Stapleton, Andrew Castle and Ben Shepherd what Chris Evans' is doing to him.

No. Chris Hollins is taking over on the One Show Mon-Thu.

This is purely rumour and has not been confirmed.

this decision to move to ITV is simply ridiculous. He's doing to Steve Rider, John Stapleton, Andrew Castle and Ben Shepherd what Chris Evans' is doing to him.

I'm sorry but that argument simply doesn't stand up. In the Media industry if you are offered a dream job you don't say "no I won't be taking that because poor old Steve Rider will be out of a job". It just doesn't work like that, media is a dog eat dog and you look after your own career, not anyone elses.

Chris Evans is an innocent party. He has just been asked to do a job based on his recent success. He has to look after his own career, not Adrian Chiles'.

And as for Steve Rider, in accepting the job of ITV's football anchor he did Gabby Logan out of a job. It happens in media, particularly presenting, all the time and you simply cannot afford to worry about others when lining up your next job.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

This is purely rumour and has not been confirmed.

I'm sorry but that argument simply doesn't stand up. In the Media industry if you are offered a dream job you don't say "no I won't be taking that because poor old Steve Rider will be out of a job". It just doesn't work like that, media is a dog eat dog and you look after your own career, not anyone elses.

Chris Evans is an innocent party. He has just been asked to do a job based on his recent success. He has to look after his own career, not Adrian Chiles'.

And as for Steve Rider, in accepting the job of ITV's football anchor he did Gabby Logan out of a job. It happens in media, particularly presenting, all the time and you simply cannot afford to worry about others when lining up your next job.

Very true and well said !