Unofficial Mills

Radio 1: Drowning kids in blandness?

Joe Boy

Interesting review from Miranda Sawyer in today's Observer, talking about Greg James, and Radio 1's whole daytime output. Apart from the bit about Scott, I think it's pretty bang on the money. What do you reckon?

Which brings us to Greg James, Radio 1's new afternoon boy. James is of the Scott Mills school of DJs: competent, cheery, characterless. His chat in between records revolves around reading out emails or telling you things about the track he's just played: "You have to see the video! It's just great!" and "It's shaping up to be a bigger fight than Blur and Oasis – Rihanna versus SuBo!" The fact that such people as Greg James, Fearne Cotton and, to an extent, Scott Mills (though he, at least, tries to push radio's form into something new) provide Radio 1's daytime output makes me worry for young people. Drowning kids in blandness? Too scary for words. How's that going to prepare them for the big, bad world? Or even the pub?

I'd still rank Greg over the TV presenters we've got. He's home grown and has a better idea of the real world. I do think daytime lost something when Jo Whiley went though. She was far more interactive. Nowadays unless you're texting in to say you're enjoying the show at work you're unlikely to get a message read out.

Greg needs to regain some of his early breakfast spark. Anyone who heard him on there couldn't call him characterless. And he's a 100% improvement on the previous occupant of that slot.
I strongly disagree. Compared to the Jo/Edith lineup, Radio 1 is considerably weaker now with Fearne/Greg.

I absolutely agree with that Pbserver article. Greg is pale. There's not much more than reading out listener's texts and saying some pointless things about the music he plays. In terms of speech, Edith was way better. And there's nothing better than Jo Whiley on Radio 1 these days (don't compare her to Moyles/Mills, they have a team on air. On Jo's shows, it's just her).

In his defence, maybe that is what the management expect him to do. Maybe (and that is not even unlikely) they gave him guidelines to which he has to stick. That is, no personal things that might irritate, offend, or be disliked by anyone. Be characterless so that no-one can have anything against you...

What I don't like about the Observer-article is the way they write about Scott. He is indeed not characterless. And his show has a completely different format, so you can't really compare.

unique...

not listened to Greg for a month or so now, the music he now plays (not his choice though) is a lot different to when Edith had the show, its just the same crap that is on commercial stations.

when i have heard a bit (since i stopped listening) Greg is still talking at the listener not to them in the same patronising way he was before.

some of the members on here who i have heard on their student radio shows are much better than Greg ! (that's a complement).

Fearne was never going to get a fair go, but i fully expect Dick & Dom to take over the breakfast show when Moyle's leaves, as the dumbing down of BBC Radio-1 continues :(

:)

First, because there was simply no free space/too many DJs. All the Ladies coming back from maternity leave needed a show (Edith did the lie-in for a while, until Coxy took over; her old show was earlier given to Nihal). Second, because they were worse than Fearne and Reggie. Which was the worst combo on Radio 1. The latter being my opinion ;)

unique...

radio 1 lost a lot over 5 years ago for me, even moyles has gone more corperate with breakfast compared to the class of afternoons. i try and get used to the changes the station makes, but i listen a lot more to cd's nowdays and probably kiss/galaxy than i do radio 1. i did have radio 1 on a lot when i was in wales in august for a few days, and it was ok. but nothing like years back when i used to tune in specifically to listen to a show.

on the grid.