Unofficial Mills

Pirated movies

Timsk

I came across the following article in the Guardian today. The gist is that people attending previews of films may be asked to leave their mobiles at the cinema desk, for fear of pre-release copyright theft.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/jul/22/piracy-film-mobile-phones

Personally, I think this is ridiculous. I actually can't hand my mobile to an unknown party as it's used for work and contains confidential info, but I can't imagine anyone being happy doing so.

Also, does anyone actually bother with pirated 'camcord' movies? (i.e. where it's been filmed from somewhere in a cinema on a camcorder and posted for download)

For me, the whole purpose of watching a film is the quality of the visuals, sound, acting and story. The little experience I have of pirated movies is that they tend to be lower quality in terms of visuals and sound, which effectively spoils the rest for me - even if the film's excellent... I'm lucky enough to be able to buy the stuff I'd like to see, but it's more about getting the full experience as intended by the director/producer. 'Home cinema systems' and Youtube's HD option are definitely a nod in this direction.

So, the real question is: are people more interested in seeing movies in high quality (and having to pay to do so), or are they more bothered about being the first to see a film via a dodgy download or copy before it's released officially?

Recording the movie via mobile phone would be awful quality, so I doubt banning them would stop pirating.

I have watched pirated films before, but only when I wasn't overy enthused by the film and just wanted to see the film through boredom or mild interest. I do bloody hate going to the cinema, but I always go to see films that I really want to watch.

I've seen a few downloads where I haven't noticed it was filmed in the cinema till someone got up and walked across the screen. I have never bought a pirate DVD though.

I don't think mobile quality video will really be a threat. Are there phones now which can record for 2 hours without the card getting full and the battery dying? I can rarely tell what's happening in videos I make on my mobile.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

People have tried to sell me them before. The front covers look like they were taken using a phone. I tell them I'm not interested in destroying the film industry as I think it's alright.

The geek formally known as Scott Mills Guru