Unofficial Mills

What pisses you off about Radio 1?

Viv

Guest inxces4308
Yeah, honestly I can't see him saying "No I'd rather stay doing early mornings then keep having a job here"

Then again, most commercial stations don't give you the space to have a personality, so how Moyles managed to build such a big and strong personality... Hmmm

If you have ever listened to any of his old shows on Commercial stations you'll realise that Moyles didn't fit on commercial radio and did brilliant things on it that most other presenter didn't......Thats how he got the job at Radio 1, along with being talented.

I think that getting on Radio 1 is much harder than it used to be but if you really try and start working your way up in commercial radio, you may just be able to do it. But, you can't stick to the 4/4 convention and need to mix things up a little....Something which commercial radio doesn't like at the moment because they are so worried about there money and losing listeners/advertisers.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that getting on Radio 1 is much harder than it used to be but if you really try and start working your way up in commercial radio, you may just be able to do it. But, you can't stick to the 4/4 convention and need to mix things up a little....Something which commercial radio doesn't like at the moment because they are so worried about there money and losing listeners/advertisers.

Which is why student radio is so important, we have no one to please but ourselves, so long as its doesn't offend anyone we can technically do whatever we want. I've gotta learn to make the most of it really, been far too conservative so far. I'm not really presenter material, but I do love doing it, so I'll keep it up. I would love to improve my production skills though, which I will have the chance to do next year as part of my new degree and being head of production at Pure FM. If I can get into Radio 1 doing that, then I'm more then happy.

I said this the other day, i wish the beeb would stop trying to please everyone, it ain't gonna happen, ever.

That point is highlighted by the survey which people decided that Radio 1 isnt tasteful or decent. They weren't asking their target audience but the whole population by the looks of it. If they can work on making the best radio they can for their actual target audience, then they would get along fine. Afterall they've managed to get us to listen somehow, now bloody entertain us! haha

Well that's easy:

"Greg, move slots or you won't have a job."

Simple enough. The perk of R1 picking people from student radio is that they can mould them into their own model of DJ without allowing personalities to develop and make sure they aren't "bigger than the station" like Moyles is. It also means they can sign them to proper contracts and underpay them because they won't be taking people from commercial radio who can probably negotiate better deals (which is good for the BBC but stupid for the development of the station when there are plenty of good DJs who can't make it into the BBC and end up doing well on commercial radio who would suit R1 perfectly. If I get into DJing and end up going to a local station and becoming really good even though my dream is to be good enough to make it to R1, the current procedure makes it nigh on impossible for me).

This is really interesting ..... I hope you do make it to R1, although, in these stupid days of minding all your Ps and Qs, you'd annoyingly have to be less controversial, I guess!!

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

I get annoyed by....

1) Poopoo new jingles - maybe getting listeners to do it like the BBC three thing could be an idea.

2)Ferne, Reggie, Trevor and NIHAL,

3)Not enough live Sara

4)The big weekend when its at the start of exam time and in some far off land and they do nothing but go on about it.

5)Going on about the same thing - Kilimanjaro, Scott Mills the Musical - its getting abit... now :s

AND MOST OF ALL...

1XTRA takeovers - If i wanted to listen to 1xtra I would put it on! Its just saving money by simulcasting - why if they want to publicise black music cant r1 takeover 1xtra with a 'normal show' and 1xtra can use radio 1 for a wider audience?:grrr::grrr::grrr:

Sam

I get annoyed by....

1) Poopoo new jingles - maybe getting listeners to do it like the BBC three thing could be an idea.

2)Ferne, Reggie, Trevor and NIHAL,

3)Not enough live Sara

4)The big weekend when its at the start of exam time and in some far off land and they do nothing but go on about it.

5)Going on about the same thing - Kilimanjaro, Scott Mills the Musical - its getting abit... now :s

AND MOST OF ALL...

1XTRA takeovers - If i wanted to listen to 1xtra I would put it on! Its just saving money by simulcasting - why if they want to publicise black music cant r1 takeover 1xtra with a 'normal show' and 1xtra can use radio 1 for a wider audience?:grrr::grrr::grrr:

I agree with the coxy bit. As for the big weekend its not a far off land to everyone. They will go on about mills the musical beacuse its big for listener participation which is good for R1. As mentioned before about KILI Chris & co has every right to be proud of what they did and talk about it although they hardly mention it anymore

james_ryder.png

Easy peasy for number 1 - CHRIS MOYLES - biggest waste of space on the planet, I would listen to Radio 1 in the morning if it wasn't for him, and I love it when Scott show is on in the mornings.

More Greg James! - When Chris is away, and Scott is on mornings, he is really good at drive time.

Less Westwood

#1 and 2 are the most important but #3 was just a second thought.

Can't stand Chris at all!

Switch & especially Nick Grimshaw. Before switch started, Annie did a show which was actually really good, she talked about tv stuff, stuff thats on the internet and things like that. used to enjoy listening to that after dance anthems. the surgery is ok nowadays, but i feel it's more concentrating on the switch audience rather than anyone who listens to radio 1.

Radio 1 have killed sunday nights.

>> I'm on here every now and again... <<

http://www.offthechartradio.co.uk

Switch & especially Nick Grimshaw. Before switch started, Annie did a show which was actually really good, she talked about tv stuff, stuff thats on the internet and things like that. used to enjoy listening to that after dance anthems. the surgery is ok nowadays, but i feel it's more concentrating on the switch audience rather than anyone who listens to radio 1.

Radio 1 have killed sunday nights.

I'm sure you mean before Nick started on the show - before he was there, Annie did the show on her own. Before Switch it was Mr Pearce.

What pisses me off about Radio 1 is the new voiceover and the corporate BBC branding of Radio 1 now :(

Can not stand Saturday nights. Why go all urban and have all dance on Friday? Preferred it when Saturday nights were started at 5pm with Trevor, 7pm Judge Jules and so on.

Jo Whiley & Edith Boreman - please, bring in some better DJs for daytime. Annie Mac or Fearne instead of Edith and perhaps Vernon Kay or Greg James instead of Jo Whiley.

The Lie-In needs to be live. Why the hell can't Sara go to Radio 1 and do 3 hours live instead of do it during the week. I know it's called the lie-in but c'mon, Chappers & Dave, Vernon Kay done it live.

Scott Mills The Musical has done my head in. I've stopped listening to Mills because of the stupidity surrounding this stupid idea. Sorry Mills fans, I found the idea funny at first but got bored with the songs etc etc.

Scott Mills The Musical has done my head in. I've stopped listening to Mills because of the stupidity surrounding this stupid idea. Sorry Mills fans, I found the idea funny at first but got bored with the songs etc etc.

Well I still like it and shall be going to watch this amazing event :D

Totally agree with Sara doing the lie in live though

I am Burdened with Glorious Purpose - Loki Laufeyson

I totally agree. Even the trailer (I think they are called) "things" are driving me mental!!

I would like to see more of what Dev is doing in his new slot: i.e. going out to places, recording information, and explaining it to listeners. Dev was at Heaven in London for an album launch, then went on to explain it all. I enjoyed that this morning. Not everyone (myself included) is a radio student or works in the industry, and it was good this morning not to have to google stuff in order to find information out!! Well done, The Dev.

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

BBC Switch and the coverage it gets. The daily trails of Nick Grimshaw also piss me off as Colin never got any promotions but he does.
I think it's probably because they see Nick Grimshaw as a rising star, and a potential future daytime host, so they want to build his profile and the audience's awareness of him. Whereas Colin was not your typical Radio 1 show, and his career at the station didn't really have anywhere else to go. I must admit, after a shaky start, I'm really liking Grimmy's show now.