Unofficial Mills

Wogan hints at leaving Radio 2

Guest inxces4308

Guest inxces4308
Terry Wogan has hinted that he might be ready to leave his breakfast show, Wake Up To Wogan. He told the Daily Mail: "You really have to leave before they shut the door on you.â€

The veteran broadcaster admitted that he’d begun to think about his future after turning seventy in August. He’s presented the show since 1993, attracting up to eight million listeners a day.

Speaking at the Oldie of the Year awards in London, Sir Terry said: "This is a very crucial year for me. I mean, I'm 70 years of age. I have to get up at 20 past five every morning. I'm going to have to look around and see, although it's too early to say. I've taken a one-year contract and at the moment with the way things are you can't expect any more than that."

Wogan currently earns £800,000 a year for his Radio 2 show alone and is one of the highest paid presenters at the BBC.

http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?extend.4436.2

good, he is crap.

Wossy to take over :D

how can wogan with the broadcasting experience, and the amount of work that he's done over the years be 'crap'? the man is a british icon, but i think he wants to turn down some of his work now as he is getting older. and possibly spend more time with his family.

i would say chris evans could be a candidate to take over, and then maybe mark radcliffe could move into evans' timeslot. i did enjoy radcliffe covering steve wright some time ago, possibly an old friend in marc riley could join him?

on the grid.

Guest inxces4308
i would say chris evans could be a candidate to take over.

God no! I'd rather have Jo Whiley on Radio 2 breakfast and thats saying something! :)

There was also talk a while ago that Ken Bruce was not having his contract renewed or would be moved to breakfast. Wogen would then move to doing a sunday show or Jonathan Ross' Show.......

I'd rather have Wogan on the sunday as i like Jonathan Ross.

how can wogan with the broadcasting experience, and the amount of work that he's done over the years be 'crap'? the man is a british icon, but i think he wants to turn down some of his work now as he is getting older. and possibly spend more time with his family.

i would say chris evans could be a candidate to take over, and then maybe mark radcliffe could move into evans' timeslot. i did enjoy radcliffe covering steve wright some time ago, possibly an old friend in marc riley could join him?

i don't like his voice,

he doesn't look trustworthy,

he thinks people owe him, (unlike a true British icon like Brucie)

not that i care about Eurovision, but his drunken piss take of other countries is the reason nobody in the UK cares about it & the reason other countries don't give the UK any points.

and, the FACT that he got paid & accepted payment for presenting Children In Need !!!!!!

i don't know about Chris Evans doing the show, he is VERY good but the Beeb bosses may feel that he will be to much like Moyle's, it would attract younger people to radio-2 & if he gets back to his old way's it would upset the daily fail ,,,, oh hang on ! sign him up NOW !!!

he had better not take over from Wossy !!!!!

:)

i don't like his voice,

not that i care about Eurovision, but his drunken piss take of other countries is the reason nobody in the UK cares about it & the reason other countries don't give the UK any points.

This made me proper laugh. You can't be serious, shirley?

The reason nobody cares is because it's crap and I think you'll find most people only watched for his commentary. The reason we don't get votes is because it's all political and nobody likes us, not because of Wogan.

Ahhh if all else, you've made me laugh no end with that post, so it wasn't in vain.

There/ They're/ Their. Different words.

Do you think that classic Mark & Lard would work on Radio 2?

Also, although Evans has been doing an excellent job since his move to Radio 2, would the Beeb ever let him have a breakfast show again? Also unlikely with his new baby that he would want a breakfast gig at the moment.

caitlynmac.png

Do you think that classic Mark & Lard would work on Radio 2?

yes. i do think there is a demand to hear something like that back on radio, and lots of people who used to listen to radio 1 when their show was on, would switch over to 2. it was popular at it's peak winning a sony gold, but you had to be complex at times to understand the humour behind them. they would do the silliest sketches yet radcliffe's wit in general conversation would balance it out. people who wern't so sure about them a few years ago have had edith bowman to deal with for quite a while now.

on the grid.

yes. i do think there is a demand to hear something like that back on radio, and lots of people who used to listen to radio 1 when their show was on, would switch over to 2. it was popular at it's peak winning a sony gold, but you had to be complex at times to understand the humour behind them. they would do the silliest sketches yet radcliffe's wit in general conversation would balance it out. people who wern't so sure about them a few years ago have had edith bowman to deal with for quite a while now.

I know- I love Mark & Lard but I think that their humour is a bit risque for daytime Radio 2 bosses, particularly in the current post-Brand climate

caitlynmac.png