Unofficial Mills

BBC giving U2 too much free publicity??

Jono

With a new album to promote U2, the Irish rock band, is desperate for publicity – and it seems that the BBC is only too happy to oblige after agreeing to sign the band for half a dozen appearances in the space of five days.

But the Corporation faces criticism from the Commons culture select committee when it questions whether the BBC has broken guidelines by giving Bono blanket coverage, Mandrake can disclose. Nigel Evans, the Tory MP, describes it as "the sort of publicity money can't buy" and will raise the issue tomorrow when the Culture select committee next meets, to see if the BBC has breached official guidelines.

Evans says: "Why should licence fee payers shoulder the cost for U2's publicity? They wouldn't pay for this level of exposure on a commercial channel. Mark Thompson should investigate it."

From today U2 will be on BBC One, BBC Two, Radio 1, Radio 2 and Radio 4. There will also be a live U2 concert broadcast on Radio 1 on Friday and there's even a rumoured "impromptu" gig on top of Bush House, in homage to the Beatles' 1969 rooftop concert in central London.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mandrake/4781126/BBC-rolls-out-the-red-carpet-for-U2.html

They play that damn trailer every show and don't forget every DJ mentions it at least 3 times a show. Then you have the song, again in every show.

By the time this song actually gets released I think everyone who listens to Radio 1 will be so sick of them being over played

So I think so yeah!

I am Burdened with Glorious Purpose - Loki Laufeyson

Threads merged.

For once I agree with a Tory MP although by the time something is done about it a decent band will crop up and probably end up with the punishment :rolleyes:

I accept Radio 1 suck the love out of any band and will do so for about two weeks every now and again. But when every station they plays music jumps on board at the BBC plus television it becomes a little too much. A mini site for the cause as well? Jeesh. I would be a little peeved if ultimately we're paying to line U2's pockets some more with an album full of songs that are no doubt as bad as 'Get On Your Boots'.

It should have been left as a U2 week on Radio 2 and a Culture Show special. Radio 1 is home of new music, not flipping oldies music.

Why don't the BBC put pollsbon their websites asking listeners what bands they want on each station

Because unfortunately the way the BBC works is that they use the bands to try and attract a target audience, rather than the actual audience being taken into account.

Obviously EVERYONE loves U2 though, and it must just be me that thinks they've had about 3 good singles in their career.

P.S. This morning on Moyles it was ridiculous- I listened for about 45 mins and all they talked about was their "hilarious" prank as to whether or not Dom was going to meet U2, then played a U2 song, then a two min trail for the U2 live lounge. It's BBC Radio U2!

caitlynmac.png

P.S. This morning on Moyles it was ridiculous- I listened for about 45 mins and all they talked about was their "hilarious" prank as to whether or not Dom was going to meet U2, then played a U2 song, then a two min trail for the U2 live lounge. It's BBC Radio U2!

Yeah I know was listening to it too. They carried it on a bit too long although Dave calling amused me standing under a speaker lol.

Can't wait til Friday and then after Dom has reported all about it to Vernon, hopefully can chuck them for a while

You know until late next week we'll hear a live track from the set. Weekend presenters will be on about it especially.

True Grimmy had us for u2 in last week didn't he? So can guarantee that he will be doing something with the recordings or at least going on about them. Only really listen to him and Nihal at the weekend now Chappers and Dave won't be on :(

If it gets too bad i'll just switch to the ipod or Tv when ima at home

Guest inxces4308

I've just seen an advert on TMF that Zanes interview with U2 is also going to be on TMF.......

Thats a strange bit of cross-promotion i think .....surely its the same interview that zane played on his show and he hasn't done two?

Not as if its an exclusive for TMF if its been played on R1.

AND on top of all this U2 are playing Friday Night With Jonathan Ross.

http://twitpic.com/1pmnq

Guest inxces4308

I've just listened back to the show on Iplayer.

Loved it where Bono called Chris Martin a wa*ker! Iplayer shows a language warning which is funny :) I thought as it was BBC they would have gone over the top and deleted the whole week of shows or something stupid like that!

It was too hyped up to delete that show I suppose. They would have gotten even more flack for that!

God just seen them on Ross' show and Bono even lays over peoples knees for a bit and sings 2 songs. Normally only one right?

Pfft!!!

Plus does he ever take off those sunglasses??? He looks stupid on tv with them off where theres no sun

I'm quite confused as to why it's not on iPlayer, seems stupid to take off the whole show just so people will watch the videos.

AVAILABILITY:

Sorry, this episode is not available to listen again here but is currently available on these devices: Selected wi-fi/3G enabled mobile phones.

BritishGaming.co.uk | SciFi.co.uk