Twitter

MissCorsham

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Twitter has yielded to user outrage and reinstated its @reply feature. On Tuesday, Tweeps (Twitter people) around the world were angered when Twitter yanked the opt-in feature that allowed you to see Twitter replies that were sent from people you follow to people you don't. Now, it's back--but in a revised form.

Many said this feature gave Twitter a cocktail-party-feel, and was a way for users, including myself, to find other interesting people to follow. If you saw an intriguing post from someone you were following directed at a user you didn't know, you would find the message that caused the reply in the first place and see who the person you were following was talking to. If you liked what the new person was saying or thought they might be interesting, you'd follow them. Twitter's change to the @reply system made that type of conversation tracking impossible since it hid any @replies created by people you were following.

Tweeprage was swift after Twitter's change and by 1 PM PST yesterday, the @replies feature was back, but with a catch. Here's how the new system works: imagine you're following Ashton Kutcher on Twitter, but you're not following his wife Demi Moore. If Ashton types in Demi's username to send her a message or a reply via Twitter you will see it; however, if Ashton hits the reply button to respond to Demi you won't see his message to her. Under the old system--which you had to opt into under the settings menu--you would see every tweet coming from Ashton directed at Demi (excluding direct messages which are private).

When Twitter first yanked the reply feature, the information network said it did so because the feature was an "undesirable and confusing option." Many regular Tweeters voiced their outrage on Twitter using the "#fixreplies" hashtag to get the word out, prompting Twitter to rethink their decision. After reinstating the reply feature, Twitter further explained that it removed the one-sided replies because the feature didn't scale, and Twitter has grown rapidly in recent months. Twitter also said the replies feature was blunt, inconsistent, and confusing.http://www.pcworld.com/article/164881/twitter_replies_are_back_with_a_catch.html

still don't get this bit

"if Ashton hits the reply button to respond to Demi you won't see his message to her"
most people will click on the reply button though, the whole point is to follow & find interesting people but this now makes it much harder to find people, if you get what i mean.

:)

• 1 month later...

Double-post - apologies.

Seems like Twitter are not evolving, but regressing in usefulness - http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2009/jul/01/twitter-web20

Do any of you bother with the web interface to Twitter still, or all use 3rd party apps to get at and update your feeds?

Is this worth a poll Jono, or too geeky?

Pixie Lott is following me on Twitter. I wasn't following her, so I'll be nice and add her back.

I think she was following me. I suppose they think it's raising her profile by following people.

• 1 month later...