Unofficial Mills

Moyles branded racist over Polish remarks

Jono

Outspoken Radio 1 DJ Chris Moyles has sparked more complaints to the BBC after telling listeners that Polish people make "good prostitutes".

British Poles have protested to the Corporation over the comments, which they deem racist.

The BBC has told Sky News it has received 32 complaints, but insisted that Moyles had "definitely not meant to cause any offence".

"I just find that if you're Polish you're just very good at ironing, and prostitutes. Very good at, also, fixing cars," Moyles said in his award winning breakfast show on November 19.

British Polish news website Infolinia.org has led the protests, describing the comments made by Moyles - who is yet to make a public apology - as "nasty stereotyping".

"Chris Moyles is a very known radio DJ in the UK. His opinions influence a lot of people. Statements he has made on his show [are] greatly damaging to the image of the Polish community in the UK.

"Instead of fuelling prejudices and dividing Great Britain, the BBC should educate people in the UK about Poland and who Poles really are, so that we can all live in harmony," the letter read.

Radio 1 Head of Communications, Caren Matthews told Sky News: "Chris was poking fun at ridiculous and unfair stereotypes, and making a nonsense of generalisations based on nationality.

"At no point did he say that Polish people were involved in prostitution – he separately joked that prostitutes were good at fixing cars and ironing. These comments were made in a live broadcast and were definitely not meant to cause any offence."

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Radio-1-Chris-Moyles-Racism-Row-DJs-Racist-Comments-Spark-BBC-Compaints/Article/200812115171724?lpos=UK_News_Top_Stories_Header_4&lid=ARTICLE_15171724_Radio_1_Chris_Moyles_Racism_Row%3A_DJs_Racist_Comments_Spark_BBC_Compaints

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone wants to jump on the BBC's back nowadays don't they? :rolleyes:

I remember this supposedly offensive discussion when it first went out on the breakfast show the other day, I know it wasn't the wisest thing to joke about, but the fact that the prostitute joke was completely separate to the Polish joke renders the whole argument irrelevant. I know I certainly didn't take offense when I heard it.

kyliewilson.png

This just reminds me of the snowballing effect we had here in the States when the whole Janet Jackson thing happened during the Super Bowl. Every blowhard with an axe to grind crawls out of the woodwork claiming they're offended by one thing or another.

"The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma"- P. Star The Secret Box

Guest inxces4308

Not another one.......the daily mail will be all over this.

Russell brand gone, jonathan ross closer to the door (i hope he does stay after all this) and there chance to cause some problems for Moyles.....Daily mail journalists must be having a wet dream!

"Instead of fuelling prejudices and dividing Great Britain, the BBC should educate people in the UK about Poland and who Poles really are, so that we can all live in harmony,"

Because I can see Moyles doing that...

Ahh I hate the way everything is being blown out of proportion. Do you think everyone being over-sensitive to the BBC is a result of the Ross and Brand incident?

The geek formally known as Scott Mills Guru

No comment.

Oh go on then... :P

Seems that everyone nowadays is trying to take down the BBC. No, thats wrong. They're trying to Take over the BBC. Making as much fuss as possible to get there own way, As the Daily Mail tend to do most of the time, and not giving up till heads roll. People! If you don't like it don't listen! Of course that statement is now officially invalisd as most people who complain don't even see or hear the broadcast getting slated, but rather jump on the bandwagon. It's what I like to think of as the "Because we can" attitude, and it seems to cripple anything that tries it's best to stand out from the crowd. People seem to think that this will help make the Beeb better, but in fact, it's just stifling it till it breaks. It's appalling.

Now, How many times has Moyles made a snide comment about Norwich in the past for example. Many many times to be fair, and have I, or anyboody I know who listens been offended, at any point? NO! It's a joke, it's funny, it makes me laugh just as much as the rest of the country. Now OK, saying a whole countries population can be good at prostitution is slightly more risque than that (even if it did happen, as admittedly I haven't heard the show) but still not worth the fuss. Same with Clarkson. Same with Brand and Ross. Same with almost every occurence of this in the History of the media really. It's something I find more wrong than the actual incidents!

If it keeps happening, I'm moving to timbuktu, and Taking the BBC with me :P

[/rant]

Nik B.

Born to Toads.

It amuses me how this has led from Sachsgate - a much-loved actor from the hit comedy Fawlty Towers. Was that programme not full of politically incorrect jokes and storylines? The whole "don't mention the war" would be just the thing the Daily Mail would shoot down if it was aired today.

It amuses me how this has led from Sachsgate - a much-loved actor from the hit comedy Fawlty Towers. Was that programme not full of politically incorrect jokes and storylines? The whole "don't mention the war" would be just the thing the Daily Mail would shoot down if it was aired today.

Correct Jono, The Daily Mail wouldn't like people making jokes about Lord Rothermere's best friends Benito Mussolini and Adolf Hitler would they :P

:)

Next they'll be saying you cant thrash your own broken down car with a tree branch in public.

Seems to me the public only just realised they can complain, and someone has to take the blame, kind of like voting someone out ala X factor/ come dancing because the sad gits have nothing better to do.

There was something on the current series of Screenwipe where they mention that telly has become more democratic with voting competitons etc and how that theory can be applied to "voting off" a presenter they don't like by phoning Ofcom. And they also made a quip how sooner or later people would want a special complain button on their TV remotes.

Seriously if this witch hunting continues and the BBC continues to stifle its output, things will seriously go down the pan. Next thing you know, the Daily Fail will be ordering a cull of everyone who objects to their stupid complaints.

kyliewilson.png

I can see your points but I think Moyles should face a fine or some action. My friend is from Poland and she was very upset by what was said by Moyles. We can't allow him to get off free, this is 2008 and what sort of sign does this send out.

Gordon Brown says there's light at the end of the tunnel..........

I can see your points but I think Moyles should face a fine or some action. My friend is from Poland and she was very upset by what was said by Moyles. We can't allow him to get off free, this is 2008 and what sort of sign does this send out.

I was trying to detect the sarcasm in that post and sadly failing.

So are you saying now I should start complaining because Moyles called me a bumpkin and infers there's more atmosphere on the moon than in Norwich? Surely that's the same approach. Should we start complaining when Scott does a West Country accent and makes them out to be stupid?

I don't see how claiming Polish women may be prostitutes is any different to the Essex stereotype or joking about other counties in the UK. Sure these jokes are not to everyone's taste but there is an off switch and if I was upset I would use it.

As Charlie Brooker said, perhaps remotes should come with a 'complain to OFCOM' button so that listeners and viewers can use it and then they could scrap the power button all together.

The year doesn't effect whether we should complain or not. Moyles' humor is controversial, that's why so many people like him because he pushes the limit. If someone disagrees, radio 2 is waiting.

The geek formally known as Scott Mills Guru

I don't know why we think that just because it's an overpaid breakfast DJ, its any different. Stereotypes are not good at the best of times, and when they're broadcast on prime-time slots on a National radio station, it is even worse. Yes, Moyles may just have been having a laugh, and Yes, the daily mail might be a waste of paper, but the fact is this item broadcast on his show offended and upset some people and when Moyles is offending people, however few in number, on his national breakfast show then he isn't doing his job properly and isn't fit for the position. There are plenty of excellent DJ's who entertain their audience without offence, why is Chris Moyles any different ??

Gordon Brown says there's light at the end of the tunnel..........