Unofficial Mills

Grammar Thoughts

Viv

I'd quite like your thoughts on the following subject:-

How important do you really think grammar/spelling is on forums? Some places (without naming names!!) seem quite obsessed by perfect grammar/punctuation, etc.

I don't actually mind about spelling, etc., because I would tend to zone in on the actual content. I could see why entire topics written in text speak would be a problem, but other than that, does it really matter that much?

What do you think?

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

I agree with everything you've said, Kirsty. I think that correct spelling and grammar should be used, as it gives a good impression and makes the posts look somewhat nicer.

However, I can see that it would be a problem for those with learning difficulties, such as dyslexia, as they can't perhaps grasp the concept of the English language as easily. I don't think text speak should be used though, as I find it difficult to read (yes, I text in proper English!:P), or I rarely even read the post if it's in text speak.

I can understand about typos in Your Views, etc, but, on the whole, I think we do pretty well with spelling and grammar.

Alouette...deployer les ailes;

Alouette...plumerai les ailes.

I think you people should always make an effort to use correct spelling and grammar, but obviously typos are inevitable, and I can live with that.

Being Danish on a British forum also means that I am not perfect, but I do my best.

When I read a post I can easily see if the faults are deliberate (well, text speak etc) or if the person is really making an effort. And if I figure they're not typos, then I do get a rather bad impression of that person.

But seriously, a person shouldn't keep from posting because they don't think their spelling is good enough. Posting on a forum with correct spelling and grammar might help you to get better. Text speak doesn't help there.

Il n'y a qu'un devoir, c'est d'être heureux; il ny'a qu'une vertu, c'est la justice -Denis Diderot

I think it is important to type in full words because abbreviating things ridiculously may save the poster time (or indeed it may not) but it generally takes everyone else a lot longer to read it. If you genuinely can't spell a word though, it's ok as long as it's recognisable as the word you meant.

It is a bit silly when threads turn into correction of minor spelling/grammar errors, which inevitably result in someone else pointing out a mistake in the post of the person who started correcting other people.

E.g. its you're own fault

Actually your grammer is wrong. You meant 'it's your own fault'

Haha stupid it's grammar not grammer!

etc. etc.

I'm not saying that happens on this forum. Oh and I apologise for the post in 'what sucks in your life', I really can't get on any spelling high horse having re-read that post.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

Having just spent 4 years doing an English degree and checking everything I write for spelling and grammar then I automatically check everything I read for errors too and it drives me nuts when people don't know how to use apostrophes or the difference between their, they're and there or just how to spell.

I get that people make typos and I mention it here far less than other places but... spell check! It's not hard.

Yes it really does matter because there are already enough uneducated people. If the people who are educated can't spell or use grammar correctly then it's only going to get worse...

Oh and I only point things out that I wouldn't mind someone pointing out to me.

There/ They're/ Their. Different words.

oh my god I am on a forum where correct grammar is only practiced by half the members!! ticks me OFF!!!

"we went to the park && there was this girl who dated Sam;s sister last year;; and she said he liked me!! omg!! [[btw, he is hott]]"

yes it is common to see stuff like that. not exaggarating. that is true and they actually do that. I see the double ampersand a lot. grrr

learn to type or recieve a virtual a** whooping

myspace.com/phoenixstarr21