Unofficial Mills

That's Not My Name

Jono

Continuing from Tara's Blog...

I was just wondering what you'd do if someone persistently called you the wrong name? I remember at work when I first begun some girl used to call me Tim. At first I assumed she'd just got it wrong the once and let it go. I'm slightly dozy and don't listen much, so when someone talks to me I answer. That of course gives the impression I'm actually the name that they've just shouted at me. This actually went on for three months as I didn't like correcting people and didn't stop until she started calling me on the tannoy. "But Tim's gone home?"

Would you correct someone straight away or leave it?

Well, we have relatives (I think it's my mum's aunt and uncle) who have been spelling our surname wrong for as long as I can remember and my parents have never made any effort to correct them... but in the long run I think it's better if you just correct the person who's getting your name wrong, they'll probably be embarrassed but at least they'll know. Honesty is the best policy after all... but try telling that to my parents.

So save the last dance

For me my love 'cause I

I see you as an angel freshly fallen from the sky...

One of my current housemates introduced me to someone in the first week of uni as "Ruth". Ruth was someone else. She also introduced one of my other housemates to her boyfriend at the time as her boyfriend's name. "Hi Nick this is Nick" which caused some confusion. She's also called my housemate Edward, despite not knowing anyone called Edward.

Various people get two of my male friends mixed up and call them the wrong names.

It's awkward, you never really know whether to correct people or not when they've got your name wrong. I just hope someone else will correct them.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

Well that was confusing. I though you were on about the song and then my name is in the first sentence.

Well you can see my naming woes in the blog as linked above.

OK, a new one. I'm Arabic. We have different sounding letters etc. I don't really know how to describe it. Arabic men insist that my name isn't Tara pronounced Tar-uh, oh no. It's Tar-eh with a T sounding like a cross between a T and a D. This is thoroughly annoying because A. It sounds disgusting and B. It means something along the lines of flying. Eurgh.

I have a baby niece now who's called Tamara. Can you believe how mad I get when people mix up our names? Grr. As if it wasn't bad enough being called Mena (my sister), but Tamara, who's only been around for 5 months. Calling me Tamara about a week after she was born. Come on. I know they were using Mena for 8 years before me, so that's understandable. But I've been around 17 years longer that Tamara!

Sorry, ranted a little there.

An old school friends younger brother called me David for years he still sometimes does i think hes just doing it to irritate me. Sometimes people at college call me Kevin, i usually just stare them out until the figure it out. Oh and i hate the song.

My Photos are online at www.markohare.com

Actually my dad often mixes up my name and my sister's names. They're not even remotely similar. It sounds like he's talking about me as though I'm not there but he actually means my sister.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

Actually my dad often mixes up my name and my sister's names. They're not even remotely similar. It sounds like he's talking about me as though I'm not there but he actually means my sister.

Same here! If he wants to say something to me he says "Ragnhild, Sigrid!" and if tries to talk to my sister he goes "Sigrid, Ragnhild!".

Sometimes he forgets to correct it, that's when it gets really confusing.

I almost argued with my maths teacher over my name, because he insisted that I was the only person who wouldn't pronounce the "g" in my name. Err, no? No Danes pronounce the "g", only Germans. And I'm pretty sure he's Danish himself.

I'm not sure if he's got it yet, and I don't really care anymore. As far as I'm concerned he's not going to teach me next year...

Il n'y a qu'un devoir, c'est d'être heureux; il ny'a qu'une vertu, c'est la justice -Denis Diderot

I used to get annoyed in my Italian class. There was a girl in it called "Fiona", and the teacher used to get us confused all the time. I didn't ever understand why, Fiona has ginger hair and wore glasses, whereas I have blonde hair and no glasses.

Alouette...deployer les ailes;

Alouette...plumerai les ailes.

I used to get annoyed in my Italian class. There was a girl in it called "Fiona", and the teacher used to get us confused all the time. I didn't ever understand why, Fiona has ginger hair and wore glasses, whereas I have blonde hair and no glasses.

Teachers never confuse me with anyone, but they often confuse two of the girls in my class, Ida and Pia. They have both got blonde hair, but that's the only thing they have in common, really.

And it's the same for two of the girls in my music class.

Il n'y a qu'un devoir, c'est d'être heureux; il ny'a qu'une vertu, c'est la justice -Denis Diderot

Guest CancerForTheCure
I get called Nick by Sarah at work. I have told her that my name isn't Nick, but she says i look like a Nick... Seriously, jog on, how the hell can i look like a name?

I turned around and called her Brenda to annoy her though (Brenda is a Cow/supervisor at work)

My boyfriend's friend is called George but my boyfriend always calls him Nick because he looks like a Nick.

Not only do I suffer being called by my older brother's names every time I go to visit an elderly relative but I'm still mistaken for them. It's like I never existed in the first place.

My grandmother has always called my brother and I "the boy" and "the girl" respectively since we were born. Nice? Needless to say, we aren't that close.

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

Guest CancerForTheCure
My grandmother has always called my brother and I "the boy" and "the girl" respectively since we were born. Nice? Needless to say, we aren't that close.

That's brilliant :D!!! At least it's not the other way round!

It sort of reminds me of boys who call their girlfriends "darling" or something similar to avoid confusion :)

Also, can they not tell you're a girl? :confused:

no i get called a lad at least twice every sunday :( lol

They probably do it for immature fun. We call 'Michael', an emo guy at work, 'Michelle' for some reason.

Customers actually do mistake me for Daniel haha

Kitty <3

Guest CancerForTheCure
Whenever I'm in the US I always get called Kristy instead of Kirsty. Even when I try to explain the difference, they still don't get it.

Whenever I'm in the UK, I always listen to the Chris Moyles show on Radio 1.

Sorry, that was bad, I'm tired :confused: