Unofficial Mills

Newsbeat

sinister

I often wonder why newsbeat, amongst others, bother getting comments from members of the public who obviously have no idea what they're talking about.

Things like the splicing of human & animal embryos, what's the point of asking jo average in the street anything about it?

I'm sure Newsbeat has been dumbed down over the past few years too.

i'm a grumpy git today, it'll be the back/leg pain.

'The light at the end of the tunnel was the light of an oncoming train'

It's important to hear what public opinion is on these matters, even if they don't know the scientific details. I think it's the morality of it all that they are interested in.

I agree that it's important to gauge the public opinion, but I personally don't wish to listen to someone's uninformed, poorly constructed opinion on a subject- I think the time could be far better used for reasoned arguments or snappy factual presentations.

Or Newsbeat could spend more than 10 seconds finding people for their soundbites- Britain is full of erudite, intelligent people, but all of the young people they speak to seem to hardly have two brain cells to rub together and are totally unable to express themselves! It's just embarrassing!

caitlynmac.png

Guest CancerForTheCure
I agree that it's important to gauge the public opinion, but I personally don't wish to listen to someone's uninformed, poorly constructed opinion on a subject- I think the time could be far better used for reasoned arguments or snappy factual presentations.

Also, those opinions aren't representative of the rest of the population, and, therefore, serve no useful purpose.

What I would like to know is this. When they read out a text or an email from, for arguments sake a squaddie, who's served in Afghanistan or Iraq complaining about kit, how do they know the person making the comments are what they say they are?

I remember being interviewed for radio Leeds with a couple of mates while watching United play in Rumania. The interviewer wanted to know which away grounds you might get your head kicked in at and which you wouldn't. We decided to answer the question in reverse, saying places like old trafford ,Coventry, Ipswich and Norwich were hell holes to get in and out of, while places like Maine Rd, Newcastle, Boro or the Merseyside two were a doddle. When we got home everyone we knew who had heard it thought it hilarious at how easy it was to dupe the reporter.

'The light at the end of the tunnel was the light of an oncoming train'

it's not newsbeats fault people don't know anything, its the govenments fault !

Well, no. People are educated, essentially by the news (for current affairs). The BBC's job is to educate (amongst other things) as laid out in the Royal Charter. Thus, it is Newsbeat's job to tell people things.

but they have to ask people in the street, to get younger people opinions, if they don't know the facts who's fault is that ? by newsbeat asking them they may take a interest or have at least thought about it to give a response & they are just the ones we get to hear, what about all the ones they have to reject because the person they asked was a right thicko :giggle:

:)

Equally, the space taken up by their views could be used to tell them. Also, asking 16 people in the city is not really changing the generation of a nation.

Anyway, I personally like hearing some views of Joe Bloggs, as long as it's in moderation and not too mis-informed, as it helps me to think about issues from other angles. I'm merely counter-arguing your point as I don't think it makes much sense.

I think Newsbeat do a good job. Surely it's standard to get opinions from normal people on the street? It'd be a bit weird if they didn't gather opinions from the public really. Also they don't put on that fake newsreader accent so they're high up in my opinion!

I really like the newsbeat output style, and the veiws of the public can be amusing. Some of my favourites are from when shannon mathews was found and newsbeat went down to talk to the neighbours who were celebrating in the street with sparkling wine.

Also when George gets back do you think they will replace Anna again she works lots of hours now.