Unofficial Mills

radio 1 is spoiling it for americans!

4hmoncu

Well...... We sort of pay a large amount of money to the BBC for the privilege of all its products (whether we want them all or not) and you don't so we should get more than the rest of the world. We pay for it so why not.

Gordon Brown says there's light at the end of the tunnel..........

Don't complain - be grateful we international listeners are even able to listen to Radio 1 (it's not just Americans who can't see the videos - it's anyone outside the UK). I was shocked when I found out BBC radio is available to anyone with an internet connection. I'm very very happy that it is, of course, but don't quite understand why they have chosen to give me this access. I'm not paying for it; I'm paying my ISP for internet but they're not giving Radio 1 any of that money!

what right does radio 1 have to prevent us seeing certain videos from the big weekend: we're listeners too! :cry:

We pay for it you don't

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/index.jsp

Apart from that i'm sure there are probably rights issues with all the artists. You could of course just use a proxy that says your in the UK or send £139.50 (£47.00 if you are watching them in black and white)to me.

Download the Adam and Joe & Jon Richardson podcasts now!

Whether it has anything to do with the license fee or not, it's the same for us.

I've tried many times to watch shows on an American website, NBC and stuff, which have similar things to the BBC iPlayer, but cannot because I'm not in the US. So it's not just the Beeb who do it.

Someone's bound to put some of the clips on YouTube.

Oh, and by the way, at least $40,000,000 goes to the BBC every year because of the Public Broadcasting Stations here, so it's not like none of us are paying for it.

If I remember correctly, and it is a rough idea, but I believe the BBC Worldwide is funded entirely by the revenue abroad from commercials. The BBC in the UK funds nothing of the BBC worldwide, any money made on operations is just put straight back into BBC worldwide funding. Do BBC channels over there have commercials like every other channels... thhats weird trying to imagine that!!

BBC America is possibly part of BBC Worldwide which is an organisation which makes money through sales of magazines and albums. None of it goes back into the BBC here.

PBS and BBC America are two different channels.

BBC America shows loads of advets, but they add around fifteen minutes to each show to make up for that. PBS has no advertising and is sponsored by its pledge drives and organizations.

No. I can't watch any of FOX,CBS etc online, so why should anyone outside of the UK be allowed to watch any UK BBC content. Those channels make money from advertising, how hard could it be for them to change their adverts to UK adverts, its done elsewhere on the web.

The BBC is funded by all of us poor UK souls, as we all are aware. Just as anyone in this country isn't allowed to watch tv/online content(no idea how thats tracked) without paying for it, no one outside of the UK can get it, which is the way it should be!

I reckon the licence fee is a bargain. Think what you get for £12.50 a month (or thereabouts) from the likes of Sky for their own programming, which is mostly bought in from the US and not self-created... and mostly made up of re-runs. In terms of value, I don't think the BBC can be beaten for the quality content it comes out with.

The question of international access to BBC content is a difficult one though. They are still recognised as one of the best broadcasting organisations in the world, so maybe the content should be available elsewhere (however that's actually funded)?

Not sure on that one.

I think its perfectly fair that if I can be prosecuted for not paying the license fee, I should get extra than a non fee paying international listener. By all means listen to some of the stuff, just don't expect us to pay for you.

I reckon the licence fee is a bargain. Think what you get for £12.50 a month (or thereabouts) from the likes of Sky for their own programming, which is mostly bought in from the US and not self-created... and mostly made up of re-runs. In terms of value, I don't think the BBC can be beaten for the quality content it comes out with.

You make a very valid point there. It's not until you look at Sky TV's £38 or £40 a month charge that you get a perspective on it all. Sure you have to buy the equipment, but in terms of monthly fees you're getting great radio, sport, online content, television and more for just £12.50.

The question of international access to BBC content is a difficult one though. They are still recognised as one of the best broadcasting organisations in the world, so maybe the content should be available elsewhere (however that's actually funded)?

Not sure on that one.

I never appreciated auntie beeb as much as I did after coming home from a long stay in the former colony. To be able to watch/listen to something without a bloody advert in what feels like every 5 minutes. People may moan about the BBC, but they really don't know how lucky they are to have it.

'The light at the end of the tunnel was the light of an oncoming train'

I think when SIRIUS and XM merge they should do a deal with the BBC to have all their channels and maybe some internet access. SRIUS have Radio 1 and it's really hard to listen and have them tell you to look at the videos, etc online and you can't because we're outside the UK. There's at least 6 million who have it aswell. That's not even counting the Dish people I don't think.

I think when SIRIUS and XM merge they should do a deal with the BBC to have all their channels and maybe some internet access. SRIUS have Radio 1 and it's really hard to listen and have them tell you to look at the videos, etc online and you can't because we're outside the UK.

But this is coding the BBC make. It's stuff that is used on BBC News and every other BBC minisite. I doubt the coders are going to make an exception just for those in America who get R1. For example there's a lot of rights issues, especially with the Big Weekend videos.

Yeah and why should Americans get it but not the rest of the world? America's no better than any other country as far as the BBC are concerned so they can't have one rule for America and one rule for everyone else outside the UK

I'd like to be able to watch some of the stuff on Fox etc so I think there should be a way we could all get what we want. Don't see it happening any time soon though :(

Do the Proxy's work the other way to let us watch stuff off of American sites?[/TECHNOPHOBE]

I assume that's how my brother manages it.

what right does radio 1 have to prevent us seeing certain videos from the big weekend: we're listeners too! :cry:

It's a covert plot to get back at the US for inflicting that retard Bush on the rest of the world.;):D

'The light at the end of the tunnel was the light of an oncoming train'