Unofficial Mills

Maidstone chosen over Norwich & Southampton

Jono

Why is it a shame for them? Norwich and Southampton are major cities!?! And have a lot more comes to them than Maidstone, Kent. I thought it was an excellent location - I loved walking around Mote Park yesterday - I thought the site was much large than Preston. Good choice by Radio 1.

507033771.183.1247039672.png

Norwich and Southampton are major cities!?!

Norwich is nothing! They don't come in the area for the Sport Relief tours, they don't come here with the Red Nose Rallies, they don't do much at BBC Norfolk and it's one of the smallest cities about. I was quite amazed by some of the names in Maidstone, there's more on offer there than here.

It's due to be wales. Since Cardiff in 2003 its been Londonderry, Sunderland, Preston and Dundee, Possibly more, i can't remember though.

2009 - Pontypool

Would be cool to have it in Wales, but I'm not quite sure what's a good place to host it other than Cardiff.

Norwich narrowly missed out on hosting Radio 1's Big Weekend, the Evening News can today reveal.

Last weekend thousands of music fans headed to Maidstone in Kent to see a host of top artists including Madonna for Radio 1's Big Weekend.

But it has now emerged Norwich was on a shortlist of three for the event, which also included Southampton.

However, city leaders have vowed to do all they can to bring the event to Norwich in the future.

Steve Morphew, leader of Norwich City Council, said: “This is a fantastic event and we absolutely want to bring it to Norwich.

“We are always trying to secure these things for the city - just as we got the BA Festival of Science - and we have been in discussions with the BBC about it.

“Obviously they have to look for a geographical spread of locations and this year they chose the south of England. But we are confident the Radio 1 Big Weekend will come to Norwich in the near future.”

A spokesman for BBC Radio 1 said it did not have a shortlist as such, but confirmed that Norwich had been in the running for the event.

They said: “Norwich was considered amongst other towns. We look at different towns throughout the country and meet with councils. The overarching reason we go somewhere is that it has to be a place that doesn't normally get an event of that scale and quality.”

Daren Francis, a guitarist in Norwich band Lot 55, said that an event like Big Weekend would be brilliant for the city's music scene.

He said: “Cities like Norwich tend to miss out on these things quite a bit. It would be great to see an event like that come to the city.

“Hopefully it would bring some great bands and create a bit of interest in the music scene here.”

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=NewsSplash&tBrand=ENOnline&tCategory=NewsSplash&itemid=NOED12%20May%202008%2017%3A16%3A58%3A447

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

it was chosen over Norwich?!

oh nuts I was sure it would come here this year, I never knew it was soooo close to coming here!

well, there's always 2009...

EDIT: yeah, I know I've missed this topic by ooh... about a month, but this was big news to me :( Also, yes I know this happened earlier this year, I rather enjoyed it too! would've enjoyed it more here though!

Nik B.

Born to Toads.