Unofficial Mills

TICKETS

gem22sitt04

Can someone explain to me. How can it be random but weighted in favour of local people? Either it is random selection or it isn't!

I don't mind that local people are favoured. If it ever came to this area then I would want to have a bigger chance than someone in London. I just don't understand the logistics of making it half random.

Can someone explain to me. How can it be random but weighted in favour of local people? Either it is random selection or it isn't!

I assume they just put in post code masks for the local area for a certain amount of the tickets.

I don't mind that local people are favoured. If it ever came to this area then I would want to have a bigger chance than someone in London. I just don't understand the logistics of making it half random.

*Grace puts on her statistics hat*

Random and weighting are different things, and aren't mutually exclusive (if you're clever about it). For example, I could say I've got ten tickets to give to a group of 100 people, and they've going to be weighted so that 8/10 tickets will go to people in Maidstone. I could stilll do it randomly because you'd divide the group into Maidstone and not-Maidstone, and then give 8 tickets randomly to the first group, and two to the second. I think that's how Radio One can still say it's a random selection, as they don't pick the individual people.

Guest CancerForTheCure

This is not a random sample. In a random sample all outcomes must be equally likely. I'd say this is a stratified sample, where the population is divided into groups and then people are chosen from each stratum separately. Tickets could still be allocated randomly, but the sample cannot be random.

Haha, so you've registered for tickets but you're not actually hoping to get any?

Something like that! Well, it's free so I thought: "Why not?". I had a much better chance last year, though, Preston is only 45 minutes away on the train.

Alouette...deployer les ailes;

Alouette...plumerai les ailes.

I'd have to get three trains, and I'm crap with trains so I'll be in a pickle if I get tickets.

I'm not sure how many I'd need to get, but if you need 3 then I'm sure I'll have to get a lot more. It'll cost loads!

Alouette...deployer les ailes;

Alouette...plumerai les ailes.

I cannot believe that some people are actually worried that they will get tickets :D

"Oh my god I've got tickets, quick hide them in this carrier bag and we'll dispose of them in the canal! Don't tell anyone, let's use a code word to make sure no one knows. I could get a criminal record for this!" ;)

I have applied for tickets because mum said she would spend saturday with me instead of sunday (my birthday) and now she says she wants to spend sunday with me. If i get tickets i will just have to bring her with me haha. how fun. not. at least i would be ther ethough i suppose. anyway that is only if i get a ticket which i doubt i will.

Kitty <3