Unofficial Mills

Don't you just hate musical snobs?

Jono

Most of my friends are quite happy to let me play what I want to play when I'm on MSN - but there's a few that will make snide remarks and seem to be glued to watching what you're presently playing.

"Oh my god, you're playing Kylie?" harks one.

"Eurgh, Biffy Clyro" comments another.

What's wrong with that? It's not early high school life where we all have to listen to one sort of music and face consequences if we don't.

Ironically it was the same person who saying that was playing T-Pain when she usually listens to rock.

I'm fed up with a few people who dictate what I should play on my iTunes when I'm on MSN Messenger. Can't they just get over themselves, it's obvious they have guilty pleasures, so what are they whittling on about?

I like confusing people with my musical preferences, which arises as a consequence of listening to whatever I like, not because they're associated with some group, subculture or trend.

I like 'Fight the Power' by Public Enemy for instance, not because I'm into hip-hop, but because I like the political message of the song. People don't get that. They think I should be listening to Madonna, Steps and Kylie Minogue non-stop. Urgh.

Our very own Emma said "Kelly. Busted. Seriously?" to me the other day.

I don't mind though, it makes me grin. My music taste is terrible.

I did? I didn't mean it :P

My friend had a go at me for listening to B*Witched, and I recently got caught red-handed listening to The Nolans recently. And proud of it. I like the fact that whatever you're listening to can be shown to others, it shows off a wide range of a taste in music.

Alouette...deployer les ailes;

Alouette...plumerai les ailes.

If I was playing what I play at the moment on MSN when I was a couple of years younger, I would never hear the end of it. So it does appear to be very much a high school 'clique' thing.

That's not to say that I don't just turn off the 'what you're listening to' button every now and then. Some things are too embarrassing.

People's reactions when I send them 'Scatman John' are always funny.

What gets me is people who don't really like anything more than anything else and have no music preferences at all. I just can't relate to people who don't enjoy any particular music.

I turn off the MSN 'what I'm listening to' plug in sometimes when I want to listen to Busted or Hanson. Sometimes I just feel like it. I listen to Savage Garden quite a lot as well which I am not ashamed of at all.

At school there were people who would only listen to bands that none of their friends had heard of. It's stupid, people who are snobby like that. I mean I sometimes see a band before they get big or buy a single the first time it is released, then it gets released again a year later but I already know it and have it. But I don't make a habit of it, I just have a good memory for what music I hear, and if I like what I hear, I find out more.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'