Unofficial Mills

Mystery £5m donator to Sport Relief

Jono

A mystery donor gave £5.5m to the BBC's Sport Relief appeal, pushing the total raised for vulnerable people in the UK and abroad to more than £19m.

After announcing the donation during Friday's live BBC broadcast, presenter Patrick Kielty said: "Wherever you are tonight, you are amazing."

Organisers said it was a telephone donation and the sum was the largest in Comic Relief's 22-year history.

Karl Reynolds of Sport Relief said it was a "phenomenal and humbling" act.

"The generosity of this gift is overwhelming," said Mr Reynolds, who is head of fundraising at the charity.

"And along with all the other donations it will ensure that Sport Relief can continue to do life-changing work in the UK and in some of the poorest countries in the world."

A spokeswoman said no-one at Sport Relief knew the identity of the donor but it was telephoned through during the BBC telethon.

It edged the total towards the £20m mark, although that is expected to be surpassed on Sunday when thousands of people are due to run a mile to raise more funds.

Last year's total on the night was £10m and grand total £18m.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7297873.stm

That's huge! Maybe the donor wanted to stay anonymous to avoid having the donation labelled as a publicity stunt.

So Sports Relief earned twice as much on the night this year? Not that surprising really, they seem to have made it much larger and appealing this year, almost to the size that Comic Relief gets.

Part of me couldn't help thinking if the Beeb had just set aside some money and didn't film stuff like the Ground Force Top Gear thing (which no doubt cost them a few sheds and equipment) and all the travel involved with stuff like the Sport Relief challenge, they'd have £20m already. I know that's not the principle, but still.

Also, they could have saved a packet by not sending ' look at me cry celebs' to the foreign countries. The cost of the travel, hotel etc etc : not forgetting the green affect !!

They could have used one of the reporters already in those country.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Actually I do own the road

I'm afraid I don't agree with either of the last two comments.

If people are forking out cash they often can't really afford, they deserve to receive decent entertainment, they also have the right to know where their money is going.

Features like the Top Gear Ground Force attract viewers/donators, the celeb reports on the people who need/ have received our money are vital to prick peoples consciences. Presumably the celebs' services are free. Unfortunately it's a fact that generally you have to invest money to make more money.

It certainly seems to have worked!

PS. We reckon the big donation was from Richard Branson.

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

I'm afraid I don't agree with either of the last two comments.

If people are forking out cash they often can't really afford, they deserve to receive decent entertainment, they also have the right to know where their money is going.

Features like the Top Gear Ground Force attract viewers/donators, the celeb reports on the people who need/ have received our money are vital to prick peoples consciences. Presumably the celebs' services are free. Unfortunately it's a fact that generally you have to invest money to make more money.

It certainly seems to have worked!

PS. We reckon the big donation was from Richard Branson.

Firstly, I do not class Tess Daley crying as 'entertainment'. As I said, someone could have repored it from that country rather than flying a 'celeb' over.

You are right people, are forking out cash they cannot afford, but we are paying for this too, through the high priced TV licence.

I do not donate to be entertained, I donate to give other people a better life.

As for the large donation, it could have come from a top winner from the Lottery. Joe public has been known to donate large amounts to charity too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Firstly, I do not class Tess Daley crying as 'entertainment'. As I said, someone could have repored it from that country rather than flying a 'celeb' over.

You are right people, are forking out cash they cannot afford, but we are paying for this too, through the high priced TV licence.

I do not donate to be entertained, I donate to give other people a better life.

As for the large donation, it could have come from a top winner from the Lottery. Joe public has been known to donate large amounts to charity too.

I've changed my view so many times reading Jono's and tamba's posts, I was convinced, that was right then reading KingTutsWWH's post I jumped to the other side and now I'm back on this side. I like to jump.:D

But now thinking I think I am going to have to stay on this side.

I did not fine the Top Gear thing really that great. It was so fake, and rather racist to Polish people. It was so predictable too.

Sending Leona Lewis to Africa was pointless too. And making a whole song which she then sang. Maybe getting some person from a charity showing around,them someone who while taking to these children, probably had a worry in her mind that she might brake a nail.

Chappers and Dave have explained it a bit more. Sending Leona to Africa was apparently paid for by the record companies. Chappers going to India last time was sponsored by Natwest. So it's not all funded by the Beeb.

I think it may have been Sir Paul McCartney or another super rich older musician.

The "weepy" bits turn me off, I'd rather give by being asked from the studio, just repeating the telephone number and other ways you can donate should be enough to get most people to give. A separate documentary could be made for those who can stand to watch suffering and want to know where their money goes.

Also re what Moyles said about Leona's record this morning - the huge success of Show Me the Way to Amarillo shows that a purely funny charity record can be effective, maybe more effective than highly resistible attempts at moral blackmail.

UM is a nice place

Chappers and Dave have explained it a bit more. Sending Leona to Africa was apparently paid for by the record companies. Chappers going to India last time was sponsored by Natwest. So it's not all funded by the Beeb.

I listened to the surgery with Chappers and Dave last night and heard the explaination.

If we are not paying for this through the licence fee, we are paying it through bank charges etc etc....

I also heard Leona Lewis bawling her eyes out and being comforted by her dad and boyfriend !!!! Were they flown out at our expense too ?

Why do they bother to fly these people out there, who obviously have no clue as to what go's on beyond their front door.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That is truely amazing, £5.5M and staying anonymous show's that they must really care for the cause!

Chappers' rant on Whiley show was spot on about how they have had removed the incentives and the BBC bosses are making it impossible to raise more money, doesn't add up in my books. Well done to all involved!

90758050lf4.jpg

We give millions every year, but it goes to the government, they should do a tv series showing how the money is spent i think...that would make more people give money, as i sometimes think half of these chartity things...are just people wanting attention...

Heather Mills "I Always Give Money To Charity"

Thats funny...the judge couldnt find any evidence of it...