Unofficial Mills

Cut Fearne Cotton some slack!!

mw0388

Hello. I am a long time lurker and am very impressed with this website and its forums. But I can't help questionning why everyone is so opposed to Fearne Cotton when they are so complimentary about the rest of the station. What has she done wrong? She is just a presenter! Compared to some DJs she is very good.

mw0388

Hello, welcome to the website...

I don't think it's all negative about Fearne, but at the same time I can see why people have that opinion. I certainly aren't happy that she's advertised as being on, but can continue to have days off.

There was out cry a few months back when Scott had four days off through illness, but bosses seem quite happy to let her swan off to America to do TV projects.

What annoys me is that JK and Joel left the station because they weren't getting anywhere with bosses, yet they're quite happy to replace them with these two who don't ever seem to work together. How can I like them if they're never working together?!

It's not all negative though. She's back on today... Reggie is off though. :rolleyes:

Yeh, from what I've seen (lurker confirmed :D ) most of the criticism is the amount of time she takes off. I don't think she's a terrible DJ.

I find it quite strange that Reggie is missing after doing the show alone for the past 2 (possibly 3) weeks. Maybe he's trying to prove a point or something :D

the thing is there are better presenters out there. radio 1 just need to get off their arse and look for them instead of choosing 'celebs' and giving the opportunities to them just because they are who they are.

on the grid.

I used to like Fearne when she presented Saturday morning telly (I found her quite good lookin) :oops:

But when it comes to Radio 1, she just seems to come across as a 15 year old instead of a 26 year old. She sounds awful on Radio 1 and when paired with Reggie sounds even more bloody awful.

Reggie is a good presenter and works well on his own, comes over professional too. I reckon Radio 1 should boot Fearne off and keep Reggie. Call it the Request show with Reggie Yates.

Maybe not for the chart show though, we do need two or another presenter for "The UK's Official Chart Show".

Reggie deserves a break so can't blame him for being off this week really, can you?

Fearne is awful, and I agree with DC, they should be after good presenters not famous people.

However, my main reason for disliking her is her constant absence from her own show. If Greg James were off 98% of the time, but the slot was still labelled as his, would that be acceptable? No I don't think so. Yet Fearne gets away with it as Reggie's always there to 'cover'.

I disliked JK and Joel, but they worked really hard, and had great appeal to most listeners, but they were let go because there was a) no-one to replace them and B) nowhere for them to move slot to. So they went, and we got (Fearne and) Reggie in their place, I feel purely for their showbiz status. Is that really fair?

i don't hate fearne & reggie, nor edith, nor kelly osbourne. as i said, they are probably nice people to know and talk to. but as for them on radio, it's just 'fearne' or 'edith'. nothing really sticks out, not like when you hear people say "did you hear that crazy parody of moyles' yesterday or 'did you hear scott mills last night winding that guy up'. they don't stand out like the two examples i just gave to people. and for radio 1, one of if not the biggest station in the country, normal dj's aren't good enough i'm afraid. not for me anyway.

on the grid.

I find her irritating the way she is on almost every single TV channel under the sun. I also think that when she does the Chart Show, it's somewhat repetitive in the way that every Sunday she does, she seems to use exactly the same phrases, such as: "Okay people, this is it..." or "Since the dawn of time." I'm probably being extremely picky, but she annoys me.

Alouette...deployer les ailes;

Alouette...plumerai les ailes.

What has she done wrong?

She's not done anything wrong but in my opinion she should still be a Childrens TV Presenter, there are much better djs out there and despite me finding JK and Joel a bit dull i would still much rather they were back than Fearne Continue.

Wheres her commitment?

Btw welcome :)

My Photos are online at www.markohare.com

I've never like Ferned much. I dont' hate her or anything, but there's something about her that I just can't stand. I'm not a Reggie fan either. I've not enjoyed watching either of them on TV and I don't enjoy listening to either of them on radio either.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I just avoid the radio when I know one or both of them is on. Maybe it's because they seem so fake to me. I dunno. Maybe it's just me. I mean, we can't all like everyone or everything, can we, I guess!?

I find Ferne's "enthusiam" to be nothing more than a put-on. Just for the show. I know it's their job to sound like they're enjoying theirselves on air, but she really comes-off as fake to me. I'm sure the other DJ's (well, the ones I've listened to) actually do have a laugh and mean it when they sound enthusiastic, but I'm just not convinced when it comes to Ferne.

As others have already said; there are better DJ's out there and I think Radio 1 should get them in instead. Hell, they already employ better DJ's who could take Ferne and Reggie's shows.

I heard a bit of the Request Show this afternoon for the first time, and I didn't think she was that bad. JK and Joel would've been much better, yes, but I think she's okay to have on in the background.

But how can you say that when she's only there once a month!

I dont really mind her but because she is presenting on everything going.... she doesnt seem to have much credibility or integrity. And it is really annoying that she seems to get away with so much absence.

Unlike someone like Annie Mac who does seem to be a bit more consistent and committed to R1.

I like fearne. It is annoying when they say itys fearne and reggie and I think that they have only done the show together once this year. They included some lame prerecorded intros for the chart show the other week. Reggie did the links for ten songs and then fearne would do this obvious prerecorded link. Just be honest about it. If they say fearne and reggie and its just fearne then generally I will turn off.