Unofficial Mills

I'm Dancing On Ice...

Jono

Well, I'm going ice skating next week. It's my first time ever doing skating and will be an outing with my work colleagues, and I sense I'm going to be making a fool of myself. Has anyone tried it, is it easy and does anyone have any tips?

Well, I'm going ice skating next week. It's my first time ever doing skating and will be an outing with my work colleagues, and I sense I'm going to be making a fool of myself. Has anyone tried it, is it easy and does anyone have any tips?

Stay nearer the outside of the rink then when/if you fall over you can use the side to get back up. My mate went ice skating the otehr week with me and she went out ito the middle and fell over and was there for a good ten minutes trying to get back up.

Its not too hard as long as you have goo balance. Just have fun.

I used to do it for PE, and the main thing is confidence. Staying near the edge if you've never been is common sense, but you'll learn a lot quicker if you go round with someone else. If you feel yourself falling too far backwards then lean forwards and vice versa, and my personal tip is if you do fall over, clench your fists (the thought of blades over fingers doesn't bear thinking about).

I used to go ice skating as a kid, I found that holding onto the edge for the first half hour or so is a good idea, then you gradually get more confidence and can go further away, but it always took several hours for me to get anywhere near the middle.

Someone got shot dead recently at the ice rink I used to go to, so I'm not sure I want to go there again. If I can persuade my housemate to come along, we will try out the National Ice Centre here, but he's scared because he knows someone who works there and is worried he'll embarrass himself.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

Two or three years my sister and I went ice skating because a nearby moor had frozen and everyone in the town went there to skate.

W had one pair of skates so we couldn't do it at the same time and then decided to film each other.

The films with my sister became rather good, she didn't fall or anything. The films with me ended up quite comical. I fell all the time, and sometimes it looked really, really strange.

None of us had ever been ice skating before, and I guess it depends on weither you're talented or not. My sister was, I wasn't.

But I had fun anyway, it doesn't really matter that I made a fool of myself.

Just enjoy yourself :)

Il n'y a qu'un devoir, c'est d'être heureux; il ny'a qu'une vertu, c'est la justice -Denis Diderot

First ever time I ice skated was when the ice rink at Perth was just opened, Vaguely remember it was Berlin "Take my breath away" that was on the jukebox at the time, it turned out I was reasonably good considering it was my first time on the ice, no doubt if I tried to skate again I would be awful.

I just have images of myself breaking an ankle or something whilst stopping, thats why ramming the barrier to stop can sometimes be less painful? :P

If you feel your going to fall down grab the nearest person to you.

I grabed a bunch of school kid's and i managed to stay upright till i got to the edge. They looked shocked but i did thank them as i flew toward the exit.

I love skating.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Actually I do own the road

Funnily enough, I was just thinking the same thing... ;)

Once went out with someone that skated in the Olympics, until someone bashed into her at an ordinary ice rink and in the tumble ruined her legs for good with their skates. Don't think she ever skated again. A cautionary tale perhaps.

Been a few times. Not for me.

I hesitate to say I prefer Strictly... :*

I've only ever been ice-skating once, and that was when I was really young. I don't remember being much good at it! Hahaha!

But yeah, stay near the outter-edge, I think. So you can hold-on to the side if you don't feel balanced or confident enough. And try to remember to keep your fingers in if/when you do fall-over.

On the other hand, you could just all go right out there together and make fools of yourselves just for the hell of it. Afterall, it's just a bit of fun, right? And if you're all falling all-over the place then it'll give you a few laughs whilst you're there and later when you come to telling others all about it.

:P