Unofficial Mills

the pogues fairytale of new york - Offensive or not?

Geezer7348

Are you offended by the lyrics in The Pogues fairytale of New York?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Are you offended by the lyrics in The Pogues fairytale of New York?

• Yes
    • No

It is a bit annoying as it's a great song and shouldn't be spoilt... but on the other hand I can see how someone could find it offensive so I'm kind of on the fence about this one. Personally I'm not offended by it, but I could see how someone might be.

So save the last dance

For me my love 'cause I

I see you as an angel freshly fallen from the sky...

the pouges - the only good christmas song unless you are talking of the ones destroyed by marc riley. if it was going to be done it should of been done years ago. if it is done now, it just is adding to the politicly correct world we live in. how would they get on with al jolson these days i wonder?

on the grid.

With any luck, all this manufactured media-hype will encourage people to download the original and it'll beat X Factor to Christmas No. 1.

So... the Radio 2 listeners are old and ugly enough to handle this offensive language though?

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

I imagine radio edits are needed sometimes, and on another forum I post on it's an automatic 7 day suspension for even previewing that word, although very strong swear words like f*ck and c*nt are not censored and go completely unpunished!

It has to be a tough job deciding what can and can't be allowed on air. And the 'n' word and derogatory words referring to sexual orientation are maybe more likely to offend than other words?

The word in question doesn't offend me, was it even really meant as a slight on gay people in this context? Maybe it was used as an example of the low-life language used by the characters in the song.*

Edit:

*I see Jean MacColl has said this too. I didn't copy her, honestly! :)

UM is a nice place

With any luck, all this manufactured media-hype will encourage people to download the original and it'll beat X Factor to Christmas No. 1.

So... the Radio 2 listeners are old and ugly enough to handle this offensive language though?

I didn't know radio two had a different version oh well its because they don't want the the yoofs copying because of course they all speak perfect english with ner a cuss word used :rolleyes::rolleyes:

post-585-14532786506_thumb.jpg

Download the Adam and Joe & Jon Richardson podcasts now!

I read about this in the Daily Telegraph this morning (not my choice - my right-wing-in-denial mother reads it) and thought it was a bit silly to censor it now. Glad to hear Scott just now playing the full uncensored version. I'm not in favour of anti-homosexual language, but I don't think it was meant to offend the gay population as a whole in this case.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

If I want to hear vile homophobic lyrics, I just put 1xtra on.

Haha couldn't agree more!

Faggot is an offensive slang term used in another country thousands of miles away. In this country it's the name of a culinary dish that is meatballs in gravy.

I get tired of the b******ised version of the English language that trickles back across the Atlantic being used these days. The clue is in the name of the language, English.

I suppose I'd better be on the look out now for Da politikally corect feds innit?

'The light at the end of the tunnel was the light of an oncoming train'