Jump to content
Unofficial Mills

Mollie King's Comic Relief challenge


Jono

Recommended Posts

Surely it’s not a good idea to keep her cycling this late in the day? The less rest she gets tonight the more difficult it would be tomorrow. Really feeling for her today. 

It made me think, is it usual for the person doing the challenge to be doing the rounds in TV studios while the challenge is going on? So much cycling time has been used up by doing that, no wonder poor Mollie is behind schedule today. I can understand that it’s great exposure, but seems overkill, especially when she is already exhausted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, xxladybarefootxx said:

Surely it’s not a good idea to keep her cycling this late in the day? The less rest she gets tonight the more difficult it would be tomorrow. Really feeling for her today. 

It made me think, is it usual for the person doing the challenge to be doing the rounds in TV studios while the challenge is going on? So much cycling time has been used up by doing that, no wonder poor Mollie is behind schedule today. I can understand that it’s great exposure, but seems overkill, especially when she is already exhausted.

Especially when you've got the likes of Matt, Greg, Katie etc. all travelling around with Mollie who could probably do some of the TV appearances- surely they could largely let her focus on the cycling and Radio 1.

Then again Mollie seems the sort of person who is generous with their time and happy to do these appearances.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, coffeeandgin said:

Especially when you've got the likes of Matt, Greg, Katie etc. all travelling around with Mollie who could probably do some of the TV appearances- surely they could largely let her focus on the cycling and Radio 1.

Then again Mollie seems the sort of person who is generous with their time and happy to do these appearances.

You’re right there actually, it’s probably in Mollie’s nature to want to do those appearances. Just feels like she’s being pulled from all directions and I thought there must be someone to kind of step in and say there wasn’t enough time or energy to do both at the same time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Steve28 said:

Matt Edmondson really is an underrated gem of a broadcaster.

Outstanding radio all week, but particularly a few minutes ago. 

I've tried to give up "fighting wars" on social media but when I see people slagging him off it gets really hard.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly I’m so glad that Matt and Mollie are finally getting the recognition they deserve. It’s no secret to many that I am their biggest fan and would love to see them do breakfast. They normally make my cry with laughter but this week I’ve cried everyday when they’ve opened up about their grief. The money raised is astonishing probably the third highest after Chris Moyles and Scott, the support for them online is incredible too so this could be the start of something for them both if not Mollie. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought Comic Relief did the dirty on Mollie last night. She'd raised more than £1.1m and yet she was one of the last people on the live show before the 10 o'clock news - hardly prime time and quite late considering she started at 4am. She'd had to rush back from Hull to Salford after her challenge too. It made her seem insignificant.

She was on for about two minutes, the highlights montage was pretty uncomprehensive and even the footage of her crossing the finish line was vertical video from social media that looked really grainy. The BBC had access to plenty of footage from local telly and other sources they could have used. I seem to recall they made much more of a thing about Scott and Chris doing the lolathon.

Thank goodness Radio 1 made a big fuss. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Jono said:

I thought Comic Relief did the dirty on Mollie last night. She'd raised more than £1.1m and yet she was one of the last people on the live show before the 10 o'clock news - hardly prime time and quite late considering she started at 4am. She'd had to rush back from Hull to Salford after her challenge too. It made her seem insignificant.

She was on for about two minutes, the highlights montage was pretty uncomprehensive and even the footage of her crossing the finish line was vertical video from social media that looked really grainy. The BBC had access to plenty of footage from local telly and other sources they could have used. I seem to recall they made much more of a thing about Scott and Chris doing the lolathon.

Thank goodness Radio 1 made a big fuss. 

I remember Arielle didn't get invited on last year. Was a 8 second snippet and then moved onto to the next thing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Mercede5 said:

She so deserved more after what she achieved. 
In the past didn’t they use to do a half hour programme on these challenges that were aired separately from the main show?

True, I think they've focused on the one with Alex Scott instead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wbroom12 said:

I remember Arielle didn't get invited on last year. Was a 8 second snippet and then moved onto to the next thing

Arielle had a residency on weekends straight after her challenge, which may have been why she wasn’t there! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Posts

    • Radio 1 at Parklife will be presented by Vicky and Nat. Nat is currently listed to present her usual Sunday show on that weekend but I imagine that will change and someone else will be doing it instead. The Radio 1 presenters at Download will be Daniel P Carter, Jack Saunders, Alyx Holcombe and Nels Hylton.
    • Nat in for Dean with Vicky as well that day.
    • So the end of weekend afternoons this week - new show is July 1st.
    • Arielle is in for Greg on Monday 27th May.
    • He’s definitely gotten better and the show has sounded fine this week. I think it been at its best when it’s been Katie and Jamie or Vick and Katie. Vick and Jamie are ok together, but I do think the show sounds better when it’s Vick and Katie and therefore I still don’t really understand the point of the trio.    Jamie is, however, a lot better than Danny Beard! 
    • The RAJAR coming on later this year reflecting later summer to autumn will be interesting to how it reflects Matt and Mollie in afternoons to the revised changes on radio 1’s new music slots and the schedule re-shuffling Radio 3 introducing a new slate of programmes. Then, later on this year have speech radio stations having domestic political coverage of the election but also America’s presidential election.  
    • I actually caught snippets of today’s show, and I found it much better than the last time I listened. I have made it no secret that I like Jamie on the radio, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Matt & him together last year. People have criticised him for not being relatable, but I have to agree with the comment above that I have always found him a naturally warm person to listen to. Maybe the going home set up was something that needed settling in and things are starting to take shape.  It must have been difficult for him joining an established duo in Vick & Katie to begin with.  Jamie was great on something songs today, fully engaged in the caller and sounded like a real presenter. Maybe he is doing as a lot of us hoped and really learning as he goes, how to do it properly. 
    • Agree with this. The anti-Jamie feeling was IMO quite influenced by the negativity around him replacing Jordan, since Jordan was exceptional and also universally loved. When people mention Danny and Jamie in the same sentence about bad hiring decisions I almost choke - Jamie may not be perfect but he's several leagues better than Danny already and has bags of potential. Danny is poor and has shown zero potential...
    • Jamie started 4 March, and the figures only going up to 31 March, so it isn't reliable. But it has shown the numbers have dropped in afternoons compared to last quarter. It looks like it's Capital's gain.
    • Do these audience figures reflect Jordan leaving and Jamie replacing him?
    • I think Jamie is really starting to settle into the role well. He comes across as really warm, and genuinely invested in the listeners when he’s talking to them which is nice. I think he’s building a really great relationship with Vicki and Katie too. His recent great company podcast is great too, where he has quite a deep chat with someone new each week. He’s clearly a very genuine person and I think he has some real potential.
    • Most probably. But do wonder what the future of the relax themed programmes will be when they officially wind down that service.
    • I think it's just to replace Wind Down presents... which was in that timeslot, and I'm guessing Chillout Anthems was just a buffer since it'll still be played at 06:00 on Sundays.
    • With listening on the U.K. for the industry in general it is good overall as most stations reach is on the up and shows radio to be more sustainable and stable outlet than linear televisions channels. This RAJAR I think with the increase shift to DAB+ the BBC will be able to say it has it’s audiences for the proposed new stations it wishes to launch and think the new innovative ideas that it seems Jack himself can take credit for on the new music show think the younger under 30 gen z demographic could increase se in that time-slot. 
    • Conor Knight is in for Sam & Danni on Saturday 8th & Sunday 9th June. It's Radio 1 at Parklife, 13.00-16.00 on Saturday 8th & Sunday 9th June. Matt & Mollie are in for Greg from Monday 10th to Friday 14th June - it's just Matt on the Thursday. It's Radio 1 at Download, 13.00-16.00 on Friday 14th June.
×
×
  • Create New...