Unofficial Mills

Do R1 care about the chart show anymore?

onlyME

So many people have presented the Chart Show in recent weeks, including stand-in presenters. It gives the feel they don't see it as significant anymore. 

It used to be they'd have a permanent presenter and a stand-in presenter. Now they seem to pluck out whoever has time to do it!

1 hour ago, onlyME said:

So many people have presented the Chart Show in recent weeks, including stand-in presenters. It gives the feel they don't see it as significant anymore. 

It used to be they'd have a permanent presenter and a stand-in presenter. Now they seem to pluck out whoever has time to do it!

Tbf, this week... Jack and Jordan are both at Glastonbury, hence why they can't host. It's generally either Jordan or James Cusack (who is hosting today) who stand in. 

On 6/23/2023 at 6:39 PM, abertom said:

It’s less important these days the Christmas number 1 is now a charity single now X factor’s died and there’s different metrics to success. 

How many years has the sausage family been number one for like four or five gets to predictable.

On 6/23/2023 at 3:54 PM, Old Codger Fan said:

I'd say it was an integral and iconic part of BBC Radio's offerings ... But then, I used to think that of the Classified Football Results.

I think it is defiantly has become integral to the brand and what you associate of radio 1 to document the weekly music trends and popular music and tracks. But with tracks sticking in weeks and months in the charts with little change have it being new number one every other week and bit easy and more competitive environment to getting into the top of the chart these days would make it interesting.

If there was bit more difference and change it would be more of a listen but think its not Radio 1 to blame but the chart doesn’t feel surprising or exciting. 

7 hours ago, BBCAaron said:

I think it is defiantly has become integral to the brand and what you associate of radio 1 to document the weekly music trends and popular music and tracks. But with tracks sticking in weeks and months in the charts with little change have it being new number one every other week and bit easy and more competitive environment to getting into the top of the chart these days would make it interesting.

If there was bit more difference and change it would be more of a listen but think its not Radio 1 to blame but the chart doesn’t feel surprising or exciting. 

Yep could not agree more it is over 20 years now since i started listening to Radio 1 because of my obsession with the Chart. I still really enjoy it. But when you think you have got rid of the Harry Styles track and it comes right back into the top 10.

4 hours ago, TheSaviourisHere said:

Yep could not agree more it is over 20 years now since i started listening to Radio 1 because of my obsession with the Chart. I still really enjoy it. But when you think you have got rid of the Harry Styles track and it comes right back into the top 10.

The programme could always be shortened slightly (and/ or expand the Album Chart feature), to account for too much repetition ...

2 hours ago, Old Codger Fan said:

The programme could always be shortened slightly (and/ or expand the Album Chart feature), to account for too much repetition ...

I’d consider making it from atleast reduce it to 17:00-17:45

But embed it in new programme of ‘Radio 1’s Trending Show’ reflect some show-biz music and entertainment news look at some of the movies out at the weekend and what to watch on streaming and also highlight the trending songs on TikTok and a future artist of the week.

It's never been the same since Mark Goodier went. Wes looked after the remains quite well for a few years after. But since CD singles, vinyl etc don't count at all anymore it's lost its magic a very long time ago.

on the grid.

On 6/26/2023 at 10:42 PM, DC said:

It's never been the same since Mark Goodier went. Wes looked after the remains quite well for a few years after. But since CD singles, vinyl etc don't count at all anymore it's lost its magic a very long time ago.

To me what loses the magic is that with iTunes/Apple Music, Spotify, Shazam, Deezer, Amazon Music, YouTube and Tidal have their own streaming charts on their platforms and with the days of looking at the charts on the website these days can just google and find it all out. 

3 hours ago, BBCAaron said:

To me what loses the magic is that with iTunes/Apple Music, Spotify, Shazam, Deezer, Amazon Music, YouTube and Tidal have their own streaming charts on their platforms and with the days of looking at the charts on the website these days can just google and find it all out. 

I don't mind the fact that we can look it up for ourselves, per se ... It's more that phoney sense of suspense ('But who is No.2? etc ...) which is still used in the presentation of it.  Far better just to throw in some interesting (i.e., not so well known) facts about the records ...

1 hour ago, Old Codger Fan said:

I don't mind the fact that we can look it up for ourselves, per se ... It's more that phoney sense of suspense ('But who is No.2? etc ...) which is still used in the presentation of it.  Far better just to throw in some interesting (i.e., not so well known) facts about the records ...

Yes, the internet look for yourself and having an archive is incredibly important and exploring the facts of the record and maybe having more interviews with chart acts and speaking to those who top the album charts. Getting bit creative and doing something different beyond hearing what is up on the official charts webpage.