Unofficial Mills

Radio 1 upsets Kylie fans

Jono

On 6/7/2023 at 5:49 PM, AndyK77 said:

Capital didn't playlist Kylie at first but clearly have changed their minds based on her success.

Capital bringing out Kylie Minogue as a surprise guest today.

On 6/17/2023 at 8:03 PM, Jono said:

Yes noticed that. Seems to be subtly appearing on Radio 1

It got played on the breakfast show on Monday as a 10 min takeover request, Party Anthems and the chart yesterday and Friday before, plus last Saturday's Dance Anthems... So they're not totally against it. It wouldn't surprise me if it gets picked on Something Songs soon as well.

1 hour ago, xxladybarefootxx said:

Greg said the interview with Elton would be up on iplayer too, crazy how he's still headlining festivals and getting so much time on R1, what a career

I get why he’s headlining a festival like Glastonbury and still doing events as his final UK date siad to be culturally historic and has a five decade songbook. It however does feel odd for the station to have Elton John do a big interview over having it on Radio 2 where they still play his music on regular basis and his fan base are more of their target listeners.

With the whole talk about radio 1 and ageism in the media. I kind of wonder whether they would do something for an older female artist like would they feature Kylie or Madonna in such way?

1 hour ago, Old Codger Fan said:

One wonders if this site has played any part in that ...

Possibly, although the media have been on the case too. I think it was becoming difficult to defend with Shania and Anne-Marie on the playlist, and Elton turning up for an interview. They could argue some of the songs they've dismissed before were low in the charts - but she's in the top 10 and that's probably going to rise.