Unofficial Mills

Radio 1 Unpopular Opinions

coffeeandgin

One of the most loved features on the Breakfast show. And quite a few views on Radio 1 here are understandably quite widely-held e.g. Greg being one of the strongest DJs on the station, Jordan being a Breakfast DJ in waiting. So thought an unpopular opinion thread of our own might be fun (maybe even one for Radio 2 as well if people were up for it).

'Come and give us your unpopular opinion, something up til now that you're afraid to say'

34 minutes ago, Bluestraw said:

Bit of deja-vu here!!

Two years on tbf - lot has changed.

mine is that I quite enjoy Dean and Vickys show - it seems to go under the radar a bit on here and in general. It was always gonna be hard to replace Scott but I think they’ve done it. 

My other one is that since the start of the year at least Rickie, Melvin and Charlie’s show has become a lot better. It does feel like they hold back a little bit but their show is definitely a lot better and has more of an identity since it started in September 2021 and sounded almost as vanilla as Friday early breakfast. 

12 minutes ago, R1Fan1 said:

mine is that I quite enjoy Dean and Vickys show - it seems to go under the radar a bit on here and in general. It was always gonna be hard to replace Scott but I think they’ve done it. 

I know, was just teasing!

Mine is that it's time to move Clara on. She isn't a match for her predecessors on that show.

17 minutes ago, R1Fan1 said:

After a shaky start I think they've created a decent show. Not comparing it to Scott & Chris as that was just unique and vcery special, but D&V's show works and is an entertaining listen.

39 minutes ago, R1Fan1 said:

You’ve got to be kidding! ?

My one would be that Mollie King is actually one of the best DJs on Radio 1 these days. The difference in quality now she's back with Matt compared to his shows with Jamie are night & day and she's shown she can host pretty well on her own too with both Future Pop and presenting solo sometimes when Matt is away.

Also I can't say I particularly enjoyed her spell on Radio 1 but given how popular she seems with the Radio 1 demographic should Radio 1 have perhaps paired up Maya Jama with another presenter? She clearly struggled solo but a Jordan & Maya double act may have covered up her weaknesses a bit more with Jordan being much more creative.

2 hours ago, coffeeandgin said:

My one would be that Mollie King is actually one of the best DJs on Radio 1 these days. The difference in quality now she's back with Matt compared to his shows with Jamie are night & day and she's shown she can host pretty well on her own too with both Future Pop and presenting solo sometimes when Matt is away.

Also I can't say I particularly enjoyed her spell on Radio 1 but given how popular she seems with the Radio 1 demographic should Radio 1 have perhaps paired up Maya Jama with another presenter? She clearly struggled solo but a Jordan & Maya double act may have covered up her weaknesses a bit more with Jordan being much more creative.

I'd say writing anything vaguely positive about Maya veers beyond 'unpopular' into the 'absurd' ???

45 minutes ago, Bluestraw said:

I'd say writing anything vaguely positive about Maya veers beyond 'unpopular' into the 'absurd' ???

Oh I shed no tears when she left but am just surprised they didn't try to put her in a duo as a last attempt particularly as they seemed to be big fans of making every weekend team a duo around then. Especially as she seems quite popular with a sizable contingent in the Radio 1 demographic.

Also as much as I rate most of them some Radio 1 personnel do have some verbal tics that get right on my wick and I can't help but notice.

1) Arielle Free's 'playing that one for'. I can understand why she probably does it on Early Breakfast where it's a smaller more dedicated listenership but it makes it sound like she's constantly doing an unofficial 10 Minute Takeover throughout her show.

2) Callum Leslie is great on Newsbeat but he in particularly seems to pretend he's talking to somebody before going to a clip/segment. Fine if it's a Newsbeat reporter but when it's something like 'quite the display. Right, Jurgen Klopp?' before then going into a clip of a Jurgen Klopp interview it just sounds ridiculous.

Though no doubt there are many other DJs with similar but these two particularly spring to mind. And to be clear I like both.

On 4/24/2023 at 7:40 PM, coffeeandgin said:

Oh I shed no tears when she left but am just surprised they didn't try to put her in a duo as a last attempt particularly as they seemed to be big fans of making every weekend team a duo around then. Especially as she seems quite popular with a sizable contingent in the Radio 1 demographic.

I preferred her on Radio 1 as to her as a television presenter. As with radio you aren’t judged on personal image, how you present yourself but more rather the quality of broadcaster. I find not a comment on Jama herself but when people comment on her presenting TV its less about her personality and presenting talent but rather her image.

Also the official chart due to how repetitive and little that the official charts change week in week out should just be embedded into Friday night drive than have its own show as a more compact run-down so if its a track that’s been at number one for five weeks or in the chart for almost to a year wouldn’t play it. Only really focusing on airtime of new chart entrants and major chart changes for song plays. 

And with the album chart maybe have it read out in a music news bulletin on 6 Music. And just have the chart update in Future Sounds.

On 4/24/2023 at 6:14 PM, GregJames_fan said:

Mine would probably be that

1. Anthems is actually a really good feature

2. Charlie Hedges is better solo than with Rickie & Melvin

I’ve heard a few times Charlie Hedges present Dance Anthems haven’t found myself feeling impressed. Maybe controversially should’ve stayed with Kiss: Rickie, Melvin & Charlie.

36 minutes ago, BBCAaron said:

I preferred her on Radio 1 as to her as a television presenter. As with radio you aren’t judged on personal image, how you present yourself but more rather the quality of broadcaster. I find not a comment on Jama herself but when people comment on her presenting TV its less about her personality and presenting talent but rather her image.

I get you don't like the criticism of her TV image, but did you actually like her on Radio 1? I mean someone had to, I've just never seen anyone admit it yet ?

My unpopular opinion is that I have no idea why people rave about Sian Eleri.

She seems like a nice person but to me she sounds no different than any competent BBC Regional radio presenter with nothing that stands out significantly.  Nothing awful, nothing offensive but nothing remarkable that has me thinking "she'd make a great presenter of...."

Just now, AndyK77 said:

My unpopular opinion is that I have no idea why people rave about Sian Eleri.

She seems like a nice person but to me she sounds no different than any competent BBC Regional radio presenter with nothing that stands out significantly.  Nothing awful, nothing offensive but nothing remarkable that has me thinking "she'd make a great presenter of...."

I think thats a fair comment to make I like Sian Eleri. But what does well is at being fairly ordinary and for a music programme is good for just keeping the music coming for the genre of chill programme fits the bill as its meant to be easy listening 

1 hour ago, Bluestraw said:

I get you don't like the criticism of her TV image, but did you actually like her on Radio 1? I mean someone had to, I've just never seen anyone admit it yet ?

I don’t know whether I liked but wouldn’t say I disliked her on Radio 1 but found her way more preferable to what she is like when she is on television. Think natural low-key stripped back nature of radio found her more preferable and not as forced or overdoing it that arguably from the last time I listened to daytime radio 1 has been like. But find Katie Thistleton makes a stronger broadcaster for the slot. But found arguably she didn’t over-do it or force it as seen how Greg James, Charlie Hedges to Craig Charles has done at times when listened to his 6 Music’s show and found flicked on Jack Saunders show he was way over-doing and feel his emphusiasm and description of music isn’t far from when he started the show and by now listeners, regular ones know what they tuned in for.

On that basis, she I found was an easy listen but neither one fo a strong opinion for me. 

1 hour ago, Bluestraw said:

Controversially I don’t think she is any worse than Greg James 

12 hours ago, BBCAaron said:

I think thats a fair comment to make I like Sian Eleri. But what does well is at being fairly ordinary and for a music programme is good for just keeping the music coming for the genre of chill programme fits the bill as its meant to be easy listening 

I personally feel the show doesn't take the same risks it did under Phil Taggart. Perhaps that was why Phil was out though. 

5 hours ago, Jono said:

I personally feel the show doesn't take the same risks it did under Phil Taggart. Perhaps that was why Phil was out though. 

I’m curious to learn of what you say those risks were. Phil Taggart is a talented music broadcaster did good with the chillest show as did when covering for Annie or Huw. I found though I liked him still doing the 7pm-9pm slot will always found the show was better when it was starting from 10pm as listeners are winding down and getting to sleep. That said think maybe with the Relax stream feed maybe the type of show it has maybe has been diluted? Not certain.