Unofficial Mills

Vernon Kay gets Mid Mornings on Radio 2

TheSaviourisHere

Wonder for presenters like Trevor Nelson and Jo Whiley reputable names and very respected if aren’t offered much to retain them whether that in the long term some other presenters could be brought out and potentially lured to commercial rivals. More of a thought in my head.

58 minutes ago, Old Codger Fan said:

I somehow missed his stint on R1 - What was he like on there?

Really enjoyed his Radio 1 shows. When he first started he was just doing 1hour before the chart on sundays. Think it was the happy hour usually live from a pub. Then the mid mornings were great had a quiz on Saturdays and lots of guests and Sundays was The Lie In with loads of classic tunes. I really liked him on Radio X and fun fact for you i was his first ever caller on Radio X.

With the regular line up come May having Jo Whiley, Zoe Ball, Scott Mills and now Vernon Kay Radio 2 do seem to be going for a Noughties type Radio 1 line-up.

Vernon does seem to have been fairly positively received when doing cover on Radio 2 previously but given he's replacing such a radio icon in Ken Bruce the role does feel a bit of a poisoned chalice where whatever you do will be compared to Ken Bruce. Ideally what a DJ probably wants to be is the DJ replacing Ken Bruce's replacement - I'd say Greg James for example really benefitted from getting Breakfast after Nick Grimshaw had done it rather than if he had been Chris Moyles's replacement where he would have ended up constantly compared to Moyles.

On 2/25/2023 at 6:20 PM, coffeeandgin said:

With the regular line up come May having Jo Whiley, Zoe Ball, Scott Mills and now Vernon Kay Radio 2 do seem to be going for a Noughties type Radio 1 line-up.

Vernon does seem to have been fairly positively received when doing cover on Radio 2 previously but given he's replacing such a radio icon in Ken Bruce the role does feel a bit of a poisoned chalice where whatever you do will be compared to Ken Bruce. Ideally what a DJ probably wants to be is the DJ replacing Ken Bruce's replacement - I'd say Greg James for example really benefitted from getting Breakfast after Nick Grimshaw had done it rather than if he had been Chris Moyles's replacement where he would have ended up constantly compared to Moyles.

Spot on for me i would love Moyles to take Breakfast in a few years and then Radio 2 becomes the perfect line up for me. 

40 minutes ago, TheSaviourisHere said:

Spot on for me i would love Moyles to take Breakfast in a few years and then Radio 2 becomes the perfect line up for me. 

Think thats more fantasy than the chance of reality. I don’t get the feeling that BBC would dare to add a big name, a marmite name to its pay role and don’t think Moyles would take the opportunity. He is most likely to be given the more freedom creatively at X than 2. Also don’t think he fits their whole family vibe that an energetic and emphusiastic Ball gives.

1 hour ago, BBCAaron said:

Think thats more fantasy than the chance of reality. I don’t get the feeling that BBC would dare to add a big name, a marmite name to its pay role and don’t think Moyles would take the opportunity. He is most likely to be given the more freedom creatively at X than 2. Also don’t think he fits their whole family vibe that an energetic and emphusiastic Ball gives.

Yeah probably is just fantasy booking. Who could you see as Zoe's successor? Sara maybe?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Old Codger Fan said:

Opinions on Ken Bruce show yesterday??

I thought it was a shadow of it's former self.

How so? I thought it was almost exactly the same, literally the only thing it was missing was Tracks of My Years. Otherwise it was the same high volume of message readings (most of which, like before, were jokes), same quiz and same love song. 

12 hours ago, Old Codger Fan said:

Intrusion of adverts (which could be absent at least for the first hour) and too-stale & predictable music selections really make it a weaker 'sequel', for me ... I know neither of these things come as a surprise, but point stands ...

I mean the station never strays beyond a certain thousand tracks. Its a station same music each day but different order type of station to his older audience it will prove successful and will do decent job to 4-5 million listeners at his peak. The station is predictable and so is Ken Bruce with radio predictability leads to popularity example with pop masters and review with the adjustments to 6 Music evening line-up

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2023 at 10:31 AM, UnofficialStark said:

Vernon Kay starts on R2 Mid Mornings on the 15th May. He is keeping Tracks of My Years and Piano Room in addition to Ten To The Top. He'll have his own "surprises" as well

Seems a shame keeping tracks of my years could have done all new show with his own featers

On 4/28/2023 at 10:54 AM, Darren m said:

Seems a shame keeping tracks of my years could have done all new show with his own featers

Well he is doing his own stuff as I said but it seems they're trying for an equal balance between old and new. I agree though I think it should've been a completely fresh start with nothing old.