Unofficial Mills

Getting down wit' da Scottish lingo

Jono

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha i dont know anyone who speaks gaelic either. Interestingly though, the road signs up north are in gaelic aswell as english, which is odd since near to no one speaks it.

There are some totally random ones in Glasgow, like Queen Street station

Yeah you do. Mard & Mardi like being in a huff or a strop, we don't use that. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head but I am sure there are lots more.

Where I come from Mardi used to be a nightclub!! lol

I say mardy. But the Mardi was also an amazing club (when I was 17) RIP.

New word of the day: Winching. Gross!

caitlynmac.png

I say mardy. But the Mardi was also an amazing club (when I was 17) RIP.

Mardi in Dundee? I miss it too! It's just not the same going into a club that doesn't smell of wet dog and your feet not sticking to the carpet!! Was a fab club tho! RIP indeed! :(

I think the Aberdonian dialect is fantastic! They really do speak a whole other language up there! I love their accents tho!

Fit like - how are you

My Quines - my (female) friends

My Loons - my (male) friends (seriously - we are not making this up!)

Mappit - silly / stupid

e.g. - Fit's wrang wi' yir loon, is he mappit? - What's wrong with you boy / son is he stupid?

glitzy.jpg

Scotland's favourite word is "numpty", according to a survey conducted for a children's charity.

The nickname for an idiot beat more politically correct entries such as "love", "hope" and "family", which were more popular in other parts of the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6520353.stm

Didn't these guys have anything better to do than survey this? Either way, numpty really is a great word.

i use that word ALOT lol haha im not scottish

Kitty <3

Mardi in Dundee? I miss it too! It's just not the same going into a club that doesn't smell of wet dog and your feet not sticking to the carpet!! Was a fab club tho! RIP indeed! :(

It did have a pretty funky odour!

dunno if this is just a Fife thing , but we say 'neebs' for friends- from neighbours

caitlynmac.png

i hate it when all the americans think we talk like the queen. and have just discovered black and white tv, and all our streets are still cobbled.

Not anti-American or anything (not very much anyway) but I live near a few tourist places and I have to say I really enjoyed the bit in Trainspotting when the American wandered into the wrong pub :D

(I know I should be ashamed of myself)

He was a "numpty" if anyone ever was.

UM is a nice place

Gonnae no dae that!

(love Chewin the fat)

Still Game was better, although i never really understood the difference between them.

Me and my friends ruined a scene of Still Game once. They were filming on our street, dont think they were at all impressed with us.