Unofficial Mills

Radio 1 and 2 predictions

abertom

R2 Weekends have only just had a shuffle around. What exactly do you think might happen?

Also how soon with Matt and Adele? I do think they'll be next to leave but can't see it being anytime soon what with the number of departures from Radio 1 recently. Aled will want to keep it the same for a while and stop his staff dropping like flies.

I said this about 2022 so touch wood but I think 2023 will be a year of stasis on R1 daytimes - Greg not running out of steam in any sense and he still seems up for doing the show, and everything else looks steady.  Quite plausible you see a shift involving departures on weekends (Adele?  Matt?) but no weekday changes.  Would like if they could polish the evening schedules up past 10pm (Jeremiah would be great for a 10pm entertainment style slot) but doubt they have the budget.

Can’t see any shifts on Radio 2 (they’ll desperately want a stable year in 2023, their audience isn’t accustomed to change!), but a Steve Wright departure seems likely given his hinting around the time of wrapping up afternoons at the show coming back in some form.

I suspect 2024 is the year where we’ll see a shift on breakfast, Greg will have done 6 years, same as Grimmy and very much the upper end with regard to R1 breakfast tenures and that would be the year I’d anticipate a succession.

17 minutes ago, GeekTalk51 said:

I suspect 2024 is the year where we’ll see a shift on breakfast, Greg will have done 6 years, same as Grimmy and very much the upper end with regard to R1 breakfast tenures and that would be the year I’d anticipate a succession.

So who do we think will be the next R1 breakfast show host? I don't see anyone other than Jordan, personally (maybe Jack??). Would love to have Matt & Mollie, but don't see that happening.

2 hours ago, abertom said:

Sunday love songs new host and or different time slot,  Pick of the pops new host and a permanent replacement for Rob Beckett. 

Adele to go before Matt but Adele’s position depends more on shuffling around the network. Matt will be more his timing imo. 

Sunday Love Songs is pretty much Steve's show, I can see it ending when he leaves the BBC.

I agree about next year being a year of stability with the Radio 1 schedule. We've had massive change in the past couple of years. Greg will be on breakfast for as long as he wants to do it in my opinion (within reason... Although slightly biased, I do think Radio 1 have the better breakfast show over Radio 2).

41 minutes ago, jcwacky said:

So who do we think will be the next R1 breakfast show host? I don't see anyone other than Jordan, personally (maybe Jack??). Would love to have Matt & Mollie, but don't see that happening.

I think Jordan is very likely to get it- question being will it be with Vick or with someone else (Katie?) if she doesn’t want the gig.  Jack is a good shout for a future daytime slot IMO, maybe drive down the line.

In regards to Steve Wright, it’s worth noting that his “Serious Jockin” podcast which had a placeholder episode claiming it would restart soon has now disappeared from BBC Sounds. I believe the plan was for there to be a new episode published every Friday at 9am starting in November, which has been and gone, and now it has disappeared completely. I expect this means there has been a development in his contractual situation? 

As others have said Matt, Greg and Adele will be the next to go, probably between 1/2 year to 2 years away. maybe RM(C) after that, or maybe a move to Weekends? But they probably wanna keep Charlie for R1 Dance. I hope Jerry gets promoted to either more shows or a bigger slot on either R1 or 1Xtra, it feels like he can do more than 7-9 on Friday on one station and Saturday on the other. Jordan for breakfast co-hosting possibly considering how Aled and whoever head of programmes seem to like teams and even zoo formats if you look at shows Aled started when he was head of programmes (The 8th, RMC etc). But with who I do not now, Vick is still possible but incredibly unlikely. Arielle or Katie are who I can think of unless its somebody else on the station or somebody not even on R1 atm that Jordan may work well with. Jack and Katie are probably going to daytime whatever happens  as people have predicted. 

With both stations tho they don't want to rock the boat especially with 2. Though what could happen is a permanent replacement for Rob Beckett and probably Sunday Love Songs, even a new presenter for Pick of the pops considering among other reasons Gambo has spoken out against the BBC recently ish which seems awkward. Steve Wright could stay on SLS but going to Virgin or GHR makes sense as well. They want to have more continuity and not have much change and getting people used to the new timeslots and well Scott himself. There could try out more cover presenters as they seem to be doing with Adele in the same way that happened with Sara and Scott on R2, even with Fearne when she was still doing live radio circa 2015-2019. That's going to be three shows on R2 that Adele has covered which justifies her leaving R1 within the next few years. 

22 hours ago, radio1fan said:

In regards to Steve Wright, it’s worth noting that his “Serious Jockin” podcast which had a placeholder episode claiming it would restart soon has now disappeared from BBC Sounds. I believe the plan was for there to be a new episode published every Friday at 9am starting in November, which has been and gone, and now it has disappeared completely. I expect this means there has been a development in his contractual situation? 

BBC has announced with Sounds over time some non-starters the Eastenders Podcast never went anywhere so did Dotty’s Too Rude For Radio given that she left the BBC. Think over time BBC hasn’t known what to do with some of its BBC Sounds content. I assume it would’ve been one to rerun overnight over weekends after midnights. I do find with BBC Sounds their playlist shows have been quite messy and could have a show of mixtape and playlist that would last few months before launching something different. Definately the rumours of Virgin Radio been squashed. I mean its tough job for BBC with its podcast and playlist shows as think with the cuts to local radio and world service stuff like the more podcasts and playlists may come under scrutiny some irreliavent 

• 4 weeks later...

For me Radio 1 will remain much the same. Any departures i expect to be of a weekend reshuffle. Adele to leave and possibly Matt/Mollie. Leaving Sam and Danni to get either one of those slots. If just Matt leaves i can see it becoming Mollie and Jamie. If they both leave i could see Mr Emil Franchie getting it. 

Over at Radio 2 the biggest departure i expect to be Steve Wright and possibly Gambo also. Leaving slots available for the lovely Adele. Ken Bruce will go when he wants to go which i dont see happening yet but when he does i can see either Jo Whiley, Trevor Nelson or Gary Davies getting this famous slot.

On 12/30/2022 at 1:43 PM, TheSaviourisHere said:

For me Radio 1 will remain much the same. Any departures i expect to be of a weekend reshuffle. Adele to leave and possibly Matt/Mollie. Leaving Sam and Danni to get either one of those slots. If just Matt leaves i can see it becoming Mollie and Jamie. If they both leave i could see Mr Emil Franchie getting it. 

Over at Radio 2 the biggest departure i expect to be Steve Wright and possibly Gambo also. Leaving slots available for the lovely Adele. Ken Bruce will go when he wants to go which i dont see happening yet but when he does i can see either Jo Whiley, Trevor Nelson or Gary Davies getting this famous slot.

Gary Davies is 65 so I doubt he’ll be up for a full time 5 day a week gig. I think he’ll be happy doing sounds of the 80’s and a few cover gigs here and there. Jo Whiley or Ken I can understand. 

3 hours ago, abertom said:

Gary Davies is 65 so I doubt he’ll be up for a full time 5 day a week gig. I think he’ll be happy doing sounds of the 80’s and a few cover gigs here and there. Jo Whiley or Ken I can understand. 

As said before Gary Davies would only do a weekday show if it was a shock snap up of one of the presenters to an immediate commercial snap up or long term leave of absence for presenter to recover for illness. Could see him doing at most few months or weeks of interim cover but in the case of Steve Wright they went for regular stand in OJ Borg than him. 

On 12/2/2022 at 10:44 AM, abertom said:

Radio 1

Adele to leave. Sam & Danni or Arielle to take over. 

Matt to leave not too long after Mollie gets back

Greg to do 1 more year at Breakfast 

Annie Nightingale to retire 

Radio 2

Weekend shuffle around

Steve Wright to leave R2 

Gambo to leave pick of the pops

Just seen this couldn’t imagine Annie Nightingale retiring for radio 1. If she’s been going for 50+ years at the station I could imagine it been done before now. Only time see her leaving Radio 1 before her death would be if health complications or illness prevented her from being able to host a weekly radio show. But, would be good use of her talent to do one show on Radio 2 or 6 Music. 

Main prediction is that since Ben Cooper at Bauer sees Hits Radio as a Radio 1.5 maybe a past presenter of Radio 1 joins Hits Radio or even current one like Adele on her way out see them having a shuffle of their schedule this year of 2023. Maybe it would be good outlet for Mollie King or Jamie Leung to go Cel Spellman if he made return to radio.

Can see only minor tweaks across maybe late night/overnight programming changing but most of this year a quiet year for Radio 1. Radio 2 could have similar level of quietness unless the whole budget cutting and luring of presenters to other outlets could persuade things to be different.

I can see events being scaled down and any costly features across stations maybe cut or streamlined.

Does anyone else think that if a Friday night slot was to become available, Arielle would get it?  It would be perfect for her, especially as she doesn’t do Friday earlies anyway, unless of course she would prefer to do her current schedule of other commitments.  
In this scenario she’d still do EB Mon-Thurs.

12 hours ago, abertom said:

You could well be right. I will just point out that it was said of Graham Norton on the BBC that he wouldn't want to take on more work. He then doubled his hours, over on Virgin Radio.

4 hours ago, Old Codger Fan said:

You could well be right. I will just point out that it was said of Graham Norton on the BBC that he wouldn't want to take on more work. He then doubled his hours, over on Virgin Radio.

I do kind of get the feel that the BBC may not be the one that would double the hours for its elder presenters. Think how nudged Steve Wright to do less and know part of the reason that Jane Garvey and Fi Glover left BBC Radio and Sounds to Times Radio was how little the BBC was using them before they left they were only left with a weekly podcast. Now one that airs four days a week accompanied with live radio show. Think if you are older the reasons older presenters leaving is not going to get more hours and opportunities.

I don’t think a Friday slot will come up yet as it’s only a year since Annie Mac left. I’d be looking at Clara’s slot who I can see moving to 6 music over the next couple of years 

I really don’’T see Clara moving to 6 Music it would be the wrong fit would see her music taste as having a more mainstream sound she could fit in few years if Jo retired for her slot something like that show. But future 6 Music presenters think they got few being lined up 

I don’t think a Friday slot will come up yet as it’s only a year since Annie Mac left. I’d be looking at Clara’s slot who I can see moving to 6 music over the next couple of years 

Annie Macmanus, Huw Stephens out of recent past names I can pluck would go with a permanent slot on 6 Music. Benji B is only current one on radio 1 I can pluck out who would move into 6 at the minute. But think Jack Saunders has a much longer career on Radio 1 to go before he moves on maybe one day in time he could go to a station like 6

I wonder do we think that when Mollie comes back they might not get rid of Jamie? They could make Matt, Mollie and Jamie a three like RMC or (practically) Vick, Jordan and Katie. 

I say that because producers obviously like Jamie and he and Matt bounce off each other so well they may not want to lose that chemistry. It would also probably allow them to do that thing they seem to love on daytimes where each member of the group takes different time off and the rest host the show without the missing one. Rather than getting a cover presenter. 

7 hours ago, BBCAaron said:

I do kind of get the feel that the BBC may not be the one that would double the hours for its elder presenters. Think how nudged Steve Wright to do less and know part of the reason that Jane Garvey and Fi Glover left BBC Radio and Sounds to Times Radio was how little the BBC was using them before they left they were only left with a weekly podcast. Now one that airs four days a week accompanied with live radio show. Think if you are older the reasons older presenters leaving is not going to get more hours and opportunities.

Fi and Jane would be another great example - Adding to my suspicion that the "they wouldn't want it" is effectively BBC propoganda.

1 hour ago, Old Codger Fan said:

Fi and Jane would be another great example - Adding to my suspicion that the "they wouldn't want it" is effectively BBC propoganda.

Yep, I mean the spin and brand protection PR campaign is fighting a campaign it cant win over. If create new spaces for younger talent of course if broadcasters who want more work by choice and didn’t leave a programme by choice not to retire or spend time with family or focus on personal health they will be open to new work outlets. Maybe not a problem for younger focused stations like Radio 1 or 1 Xtra but when comes to departments like BBC News, Radio 4 and 2. Theres more likely to be that growing trend of giving less work to or retirement redundancies played out as creating space for new talent for older presenters to enjoy more time with families and such when they announce the full details of the new BBC News TV rebrand as they shed names from the news room and diminishing the numbers of anchors.

Think there maybe few departures to write about this year from BBC Radio thats my feeling.

21 hours ago, radio1fan said:

Does anyone else think that if a Friday night slot was to become available, Arielle would get it?  It would be perfect for her, especially as she doesn’t do Friday earlies anyway, unless of course she would prefer to do her current schedule of other commitments.  
In this scenario she’d still do EB Mon-Thurs.

I mean she would be good for doing for Dance Anthems but hopefully in a same way that Danny Howard did having guest mixes, remix feature and some sort of dance charts remember Danny Howards dance anthems had more feature focus output and that would be good for the saturday afternoon slot. As would rather give it more mix of the past present and future. 

Though think Jeremiah Asiamah could get there on Fridays or even Jaguar it would be good to maybe have over the weekend some new names who may have gone on a station like Reprezent or WorldWide FM to have a post midnight focus on new and or underground classic feel. Like when the station had presenters like B.Traits and Monki. Very unlikely to happen. But think for the station eventually names like Arrielle Free, Charlie Tee, Jaguar, Jeremiah Asiamah and Sarah Storey should be the leaders of the Dance/Club sounding shows on the station