Unofficial Mills

Social labels - do they effect friendship?

Jono

Chavs, goths, gays, emos, townies, norms. Whatever you want to be - do you think they can co-exist as friends with each other? I mean a gothic started talking to me on myspace, and yet she seems perhaps the friendliest and smartest person to live around here. What do you think?

I think that just because someone dresses a certain way and likes to listen to a certain type of music doesn't mean to say that they can't be friends with poeple who like a different kind of music and dress differently.

It is what is underneath that counts.

When I was at school I had 2 best friends who were from opposite ends of the spectrum.

On one hand my friend Jane was a Rocker. She always wore denim and had long shaggy greasy hair and always listened to the most horrible (What she called) music.

On the other hand was my friend Jackie who was a Goth. She always dressed in long black flowing dresses wore loads of black make up and again listened to the wierdest of music. Then there was me who just wore normal clothes and listened to poppy chart stuff like Stock, Aitken & Waterman, Duran Duran & Howard Jones. (Ooops really showing my age now :oops: )

I think they can co-exist if the stereotypes associated with such labels are de-mystified and de-bunked: not all chavs are evil, happy-slapping loons as portrayed in the media and I'm sure not all straight Emo boys kiss other Emo boys either. I think when we can learn not to pre-judge someone on the way they dress or on their lifestyle, then we can start to live in a better world.

In high school I was friends with the most popular kids in school yet I was also friends with the nerds who stayed after school to play Dungeons And Dragons. I actually loved playing that game.

You should be friends with everybody. And I think once you get out of school, people arent like that in reality, classifying people.

myspace.com/phoenixstarr21

The word chav has just been taken out of meaning around here. Or at my school anyway. The entire year is split into "goths" & "chavs" there's no in between. Before the split when I was slightly "emo", I used to hang round with what would now be called a chav. But, she started to copy off me, until she was a complete carbon copy of me but worse. I had enough of it.

So, in my school, yeah you can be friends with one, but you can't be best friends with one apparently. So says everyone else. I take no notice of it.

No-one's getting out of here alive; this time.

There's nothing wrong with emos or goths or chavs... I went to a club night last week which was full of emos and goths. Apart from the emo guy who came onto my drunk (male) friend and led him to end up in A&E with a head injury, they've never done anything against me. It wasn't entirely the emo guy's fault... Anyway we went to that club night because the music is good and it's a good laugh and pretty relaxed.

I don't really know many chavs to be perfectly honest. Not many make it to University. The guy down the corridor has some chavvy traits, but that's not why we don't get on. Most chavs either don't get to University or else they become less chavvy.

I do tend to be better friends with people I have things in common with, and music is often one of those things, but the way people dress doesn't bother me.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

I dont think so, its just a name really. I get on with pretty much everyone at school.... the emos, the chavs, the gays. They each have their different personalities no matter which 'group' they come under.

In fact, one of the boys in the year below me, who i previously thought was the chav of all chavs. He had the whole outfit and everything going on. Anyway, i left my keys in my locker today, and he came up to me at the end of the day and handed them back. (And no, nothing had been stolen out the locker!) I got talking to him.... and turns out hes one of the nicer guys in the school! Its just a sort of front for people to fit in i think, and theres nothing wrong with wanting to fit in.