Snow

Ad

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This country is massively underprepared for the amounts of snow we've been getting lately, but still the government hasn't taken the hint that perhaps there needs to be some kind of plan ready to be implemented. If there already is one then it's crap, but there we go.

Also, we're british. Nuff Said.

Nik B.

Born to Toads.

A part of the problem is that most councils only stock for a weeks worth of grit. So far they've been gritting straight for 3 weeks. Our cold spells don't last for that long so normally they can get a way with it and reorder if needed between events.

I think (from what I remember for geography last year - I'm now doing it at Uni but I'm not doing weather yet :))the problem at the moment is due to a blocking anticyclone pushing away the low pressure coming from from the good old tropical maritime airmass (The one that brings us our warm wet climate). As a result the Polar Continental (cold fairly dry weather) and Arctic maritime (the second rarest mass that brings cold air from the arctic circle and picks up moisture over the North sea - this brought yesterdays snow) air-masses are bringing in higher pressure cold air from the Arctic and the continent.

The roxby waves are also likely to be active in the jet stream especially if this lasts for a long time. Basically the jet stream is likely to have migrated south and is helping to push the low pressure away and down. If you remember in the summer when they predicted a BBQ summer and it never happened this was because the jet stream was allowing the low pressure to stick over the UK.

For those wanting a hot summer you'll have to hope for the rarest airmass - Tropical continental from Africa. Although if there was a blocking anticyclone then we would have th opposite problem and have no water!

Sam

A part of the problem is that most councils only stock for a weeks worth of grit. So far they've been gritting straight for 3 weeks. Our cold spells don't last for that long so normally they can get a way with it and reorder if needed between events.

I think (from what I remember for geography last year - I'm now doing it at Uni but I'm not doing weather yet :))the problem at the moment is due to a blocking anticyclone pushing away the low pressure coming from from the good old tropical maritime airmass (The one that brings us our warm wet climate). As a result the Polar Continental (cold fairly dry weather) and polar maritime (the second rarest mass that brings cold air from the arctic circle and picks up moisture over the North sea - this brought yesterdays snow) air-masses are bringing in higher pressure cold air from the Arctic and the continent.

The roxby waves are also likely to be active in the jet stream especially if this lasts for a long time. Basically the jet stream is likely to have migrated south and is helping to push the low pressure away and down. If you remember in the summer when they predicted a BBQ summer and it never happened this was because the jet stream was allowing the low pressure to stick over the UK.

For those wanting a hot summer you'll have to hope for the rarest airmass - Tropical continental from Africa. Although if there was a blocking anticyclone then we would have th opposite problem and have no water!

You lost me in the middle there...

My goodness, that's a pretty funky donkey!

• 10 months later...