Unofficial Mills

Radio 1's Lolathon 2021

Jono

It's been an impressive two days of content on Radio 1 bringing out the absolute best of the station and the presenters. As well as breaking previous records and raising an incredible amount for Comic Relief, it's reminded us how impressive Radio 1 is.

I've particularly loved that lockdown has meant I could listen for longer, and during the day, and thought that it took real creativity to shake-up the format this year.

My only gripe is I feel it missed a massive opportunity with live video and social. Of course social distancing to an extent gets in the way, but given they're drip feeding content out it feels it could have been done.

I couldn't help wanting to see more behind-the-scenes of what was going on as it was broadcast. The Matt Edmondson life drawing, the Naked Attraction stuff, when they were telling jokes to big boss Lorna. The glimpses we got came from the presenters' social media, who were trying to juggle numerous things at once.

Moreover the content stopped outside working hours, so there was a gap until the breakfast show when no-one was around to keep it going.

I sometimes wonder if I'm just in a minority because I'm a hardcore listener, but there was clearly appetite from Chris' Instagram Live last night.

Hopefully if there's any more events like this it'll be considered.

I thought it was going to be canceled this year, but so happy they managed to do it after all. I was listening live but missed a lot, I'm slowly catching up on Sounds, about halfway through now. I liked the new format and that they dropped the "we always have to tell jokes between songs" rule, it wouldn't have been funny for the third time.

I agree on the video stream. When R1 did the Longest Show (10 years ago today!) they did have a non-stop video stream right on the R1 main page, seeing everything that happened in the studio added so much to the experience.

Also every time I hear The Business from now on I will think of "Cranky Scott Mills" close to the 24 hour mark. :D

I remember finding the Chris moyles thing on YouTube someone clipped it up on a YouTube channel and completed it over couple of weeks a length of a box set I was surprised not to hear the jokes. But agreed it would’ve been exhausted if did again think Scott would’ve felt the same. However felt they needed less music what they came up with after some people leaving through the pandemic and less people working was good would’ve loved to hear more from comedians. Think would’ve been good if did something like Evil Genius or Wheel of Misfortune takeover or done a new tap end and revived from onetime some stuff they did on the Kench comedy podcast a couple year ago

• 3 weeks later...

I fell way behind on listening to the podcasts (by going back to ones from the Beccy and Chappers days for a while), and was dismayed to see that I missed the Lolathon, and that it wasn't available in podcast form like last time.  I really appreciate the efforts of SamChisholm  and Electric Boogaloo and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of the late night segments.  I loved the ones they did in the past.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...