Unofficial Mills

7/7/2006

DC

the one year anniversary it is a week away. so what do you think? whats changed? what do you remember?

i think radio 1 handled the day quite well. it broke in scotts show (who was on breakfast at the time) as you can hear from my archive here:-

http://www.unofficialmills.co.uk/audio/dailyclips/random/7-7-2005_terror_newsflashes_scott_mills.mp3

the rest of the dj's that day were quite tame. compared to how mark & lard and chris moyles treated septmeber 11th. i happened to tune into colin & edith later on and i remember colin on the phone (i think to edith) joking about how she couldn't get into work. and colin playing requests and reading emails from everyone. and scott came back on in the afternoon at 4 to fill in for vernon? who was filling in for scott. thats how mad it was.

on the grid.

Yup, Scott on twice. It was such an unrealistic day. I remember being on here in the morning and a report on that day reporting on a "power surge" at about 9.30. 15 minutes later they had another breaking news bulletin, then you started to realise how important it was.

I remember after that having Jo Whiley's show on with her 15 minutes bulletins, and having the news channels on as well. I think Dom did the reports for Jo. It was still being called a power surge till a few hours later when they knew the full scale.

I swear Dom was in on that day, because I remember thinking it was rather odd he was in. May be he was in later, or perhaps I'm just thinking of another day.

I remember the next day, and Scott not really wanting to do much. He just played a few bits from earlier on Thursday, and some music.

Very odd day to end the first week of his breakfast show.

On that day I went to Cambridge and I was in a school minibus listening to a radio station but I forget which one. It's weird cos I was in a school minibus when I heard about September 11th events as well. I then spent the rest of the day trying to contact my parents and standing in TV shops with lots of other silent people watching BBC News 24 with subtitles on. I was glad I chose to get the minibus to Cambridge though because I was almost going to take the train from Kings Cross.

After that I didn't take the tube in London until 2 weeks later, Thursday 21st July, which was bad, because there was another attempted attack that day, and they closed the main railway stations, and various tube lines, so I got a bus.

I was nervous going on the tube all last summer but then I got the tube twice a day every day for a week and I got over it.

This year I finish school that day. I will have to get the train home but I won't be going near central London. I reckon there'll be armed police in the main stations though. In the past few years I have got very used to seeing armed police around. I think it'll be a very sad time for a lot of people. It upset me a lot that those innocent people were killed in the city I have lived in for 18 years. Because the bombs went off in areas I don't go to often, it still doesn't quite feel real that it could have been that close to home.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

i heard about both september 11th and the london attacks through radio. so thats ironic becuase back 5 years ago i used to watch way more tv than listen to radio. must of been me being in school. i was listening to mark & lard and spread it to my freinds. and of course listening to mills last year.

on the grid.

First time I've ever taken the tube last week, and it does go through your mind a lot, but I chose not to share my feelings with any one. I'm sure every one thinks it.

When 9/11 happened I didn't really know much about terrorism.

I guess in a way 7/7 could have been a lot worse, so we should be thankful it didn't cause the deaths of many more

I was at home on 7/7. I remember getting up and seeing it on Sky News. I was really worried because my Dad was travelling up from London that day and we couldn't get hold of him. Turns out, he'd set off at 3am and was in bed. Phew!

On 9/11 I was at home too. I was only 10 then and I remember thinking "They cancelled Diagnosis Murder for this crap?" Then my Mum explained it to me and I understood a bit more. Very scary days.

I was 13 on September 11th, I was in my second week at my new school that I am now leaving. I didn't know terrorism meant flying planes into buildings. I guess no one did. The only experience I had with terrorism was the IRA terrorism meaning that I have grown up knowing not to go near unattended parcels or luggage and hearing about it on the news a lot.

I've always been scared of the Tube, ever since I was a tiny kid. Everyone is moving so fast and it's so far underground and the tunnels scare me.

I remember we were in school just come out of Textiles and I was walking to Lunch with a friend...we poked through the window in the DT office who had the tv on and we were all crowded around it.When we heard the news my mate who was with me burst into Tears and I was close to because we knew our dads friends were down in London cos of their Jobs plus our Dads could of been with them.

Basically my dad works for the US GVT over here..

Was such a sad day,not knowing how everyone was and I also remember being here on the 2nd week of the bombing.

twitter.com/emgreatorex

i was in when scott was on. but out the same day in the country at a pub. as i said listening to radio 1 on my phone.

september the 11th i had mnl on at school. and i was flicking between moyles and the news channels when i got home becuase it happened just after i had digital cable in.

even after 6 on dave pearces show i think they were still having 15 minute newsbeat updates. but by then i had the news on tv.

on the grid.

I remember a mate got injured at kings Cross... relatively minor injuries thankfully.

and that I heard about it when someone in the office read out a news feed email theyd got that the tube had been shut down due to overloads.

then watching on the tv in works canteen and just thinking "b**tards!"

I was at Alton Towers that day, was listening to Scott when we drove up there but only heard the first report when they thought it was a "power failiure".

So I went to Alton Towers and not until I left at 6.30pm did I hear about it it, and as my Dad worked in London then I was worried but thankfully he didnt get caught in it as he went to work early.

I will always remember the service station though on the way back, stopped to get some food and this muslim walked across the room and the whole place stopped and stared at them, to this day I have no idea how no one said anything to them.

"Just one more game, I promise"

I'd just finished a night shift and listening to Scott. I wasn't registered around here then but was lurking on the boards and reading the messages etc. At 9.30 when the news broke i didnt think much of it. But when they did a 9.45 and then a 10am bulliten it kinda hit we was dealing with alot more than just 'a power surge' I remember going to sleep thinking 'christ, what if its our turn now?' The interview i remember the most from this day was a women who said 'a power surge does not blow off train doors'

I woke up at about 4.30. I'd forgotten about the morning until i'd turned on the TV and heard that it was Terrorism. I put Radio 1 on then and found Scott on again explaining how much of a surreal day it'd been and how Vernon was safe etc. As the weeks went on, we found out more that had happened and i was even more shocked when i heard they came from Leeds, not far from me at all.

A couple of weeks after i went for a week in Blackpool and came back on Thursday 21st July. We were driving through looking for somewhere to eat and i heard that a second lot of attacks had happened on the radio, i think it was Georgina reporting it early afternoon. We spent most of that afternoon on our phones online seeing if it had happened again. It was a really surreal couple of weeks, but responded to really well by the authorities and rescue teams. If they hadn't been as good as they we're the death toll could have been much worse

take control

Yeah, on 21st July I was using the WAP on my phone to find out what was going on on the BBC news site. And from that day onwards I have always carried the radio headset for my phone whenever I go anywhere outside my local area because these things can happen and the radio is definitely the best way of getting information. So from doing that I got into listening to the radio on my phone, and eventually listening to Radio 1 on my phone.

I still don't quite know why I chose July 21st to go into London... I guess it didn't seem an issue to me that it was 2 weeks after the first attacks.

When I got home that day I remember I put BBC News 24 on and watched the breaking news for the rest of that day and all the next day when Jean Charles de Menezes got shot so I saw the whole thing unfold. BBC News 24 is actually quite exciting when something's happening.

I can still remember that quite soon after 9/11, I went to the local American Adventure Theme Park. This was after all the troops were sent to Afghanistan. When we were on one of the rides, some ride attendant buffoon decided to announce over the tannoy "ladies and gentlemen, we are now at war!"

Did we all observe the silence?

I was annoyed, I saw people working on our subway putting stuff up in there. So I put my phone/radio on loudspeaker, then walked past them and of course the signal cut out in the subway, so it made things worse!

I was walking home at the time today, and I had chills and felt odd when the silence came on, thinking back at last year.

It's been a strange old year.

I first heard about it from scott's show too. I then went and texted everyone.

I spent all day trying to ring my best friend who lives in London and getting more and more upset that I couldn't speak to her. Eventually I got an email from her so I knew she was OK and she asked me to let everyone else know that she was OK too. She works in one of the hospitals that was on stand by and she managed to ring me at almost midnight when she everntually got home.

I had managed to get hold of another friend of mine in London because she luckily overslept that morning and would have been on one of the trains but she got to the tube station too late so went home again. I was on the phone to her for hours.

The sad thing is my best friend and I had a big fall out and we haven't spoken to each other for 5 months :cry: