Unofficial Mills

FEARNE'S LEAVING.

tr15

It took me a long time to accept Fearne Cotton after Whiley left

Not sure I ever forgave her for replacing Jo Whiley - and very poorly. Can't say I'm sad to see her go, think she's one of the worst DJs on R1 at the moment (excluding Dan & Phil, Gemma...).

I think it's time for Scott to go, when he covered for Grimmy recently it was kinda laboured. I don't understand why there's so much speculation about Grimmy leaving - he's probably the best thing on the station after Annie Mac.

I hate to say it but we've found it hard to predict Ben Cooper, ever since he started. Much different style than Andy Parfitt.

I would have put money on Alice getting this show.

A couple of years ago I would have said Nick was a rank outsider at getting Breakfast. Clara is just the same having only done a handful of shows on Radio 1.

Demograhics and the BBC trust seem to be the only things that matter at this station now.

''is Dave1 the real Dave ? '' E*F*4*L

I've warmed to Fearne over the last year or two and she has moments of wit and she presents he Live Lounge well - she's become a nice listen and her show does push some great new music. The Fearne vs Zane feature is one of my favourite things on the station (mainly because of how hilarious Zane is - Bozza!) so I'll sort of miss her but it's quite a boring show and unless there's a Live Lounge, nothing really happens.

How Alice Levine isn't taking over is still baffling. She is made for that slot - great sense of humour and very witty, easy to listen to, experience of hosting the Live Lounge both on her own show during EMM month and covering for Fearne, the audience is used to her through cover stints and through appearing on Scott's show for Real or No Real and on Greg's for the red carpet stuff and she did a very successful new music show on 10-12 and seems passionate about discovering new music so she's literally perfect for the 10am show. But no, Ben Cooper decided to give it to someone who's been on the station for a few weeks.

Don't get me wrong, I like Clara and she is good on the chart but I haven't heard the spark that has made the bosses propel her up the schedule so quickly. I thought Weekend Breakfast or Early Breakfast would be next for her, not one of the prime slots on UK radio. It's a risk and it does seem like the news of Fearne leaving and the release date for the chart moving to Fridays has made them put two and two together.

I'm not sure Clara has built up a rapport with the Radio 1 audience yet and whether her musical tastes will suit that slot so it's certainly a risk giving someone so inexperienced on the station such a push. I'm really disappointed Alice isn't taking over but there are certainly interesting schedule changes ahead.....

I've always thought her shows perfectly enjoyable and pleasant to listen to, albeit a bit light on content, but she's been doing it a while now (5½ years), so I think it's her time. Still disappointed it's not Alice, but quite enjoyed what I heard of Clara on skinny Tuesday Real or No Real the other day.

Personally I'm really glad that its Clara, she is a brilliant presenter (one of the best on the station) and will fit the slot perfectly.

I used to love Alice in the evenings, but her weekend show as really struggled, 3 hours by herself seems to be quite a struggle. Also swapping Alice for Fearne is basically swapping like for like, 2 white, pretty girls who started out in TV presenting...

As for Fearnes show, I won't miss her massively, listening to her say "ERMMMM" louder than she says every other word in a link is really excruciating. Also the content is really quite minimal, listening to her pretending to play "new music" is really quite tough to listen to, she plays the same f*****g play listed music as everyone else on the station!

Good luck to Clara. Rant over.

hello

She's never really lived up to what Jo Whiley set in that timeslot in my opinion.

Apart from Scott, and Greg James at times all the Radio 1 presenters sound the same to me. There needs to be someone different on the air, there's a chance with the changes to pick someone up over the next couple of years. The station needs a breakaway from the norm, a new Mark & Lard or Chris Moyles type for a new generation. It would at least be a different style to all the other shows.

on the grid.

She's never really lived up to what Jo Whiley set in that timeslot in my opinion.

Apart from Scott, and Greg James at times all the Radio 1 presenters sound the same to me. There needs to be someone different on the air, there's a chance with the changes to pick someone up over the next couple of years. The station needs a breakaway from the norm, a new Mark & Lard or Chris Moyles type for a new generation. It would at least be a different style to all the other shows.

Well it looked for a wee while that Dan and Phil were the next big thing in radio but they seem to have largely dissappeared

Don't think that was ever a thing. They only had Dan & Phil on to attract a younger audience

Look, that was the biggest show on a Sunday, bigger than the chart - and the radio show with the biggest social media interest in the UK. Sure, it might not be for older people.... but.... Radio 1 is for younger people.

They didn't "only" have them on to attract a younger audience, either.

Another extremely nerdy observation from listening to Alice in for Fearne today. I noticed throughout the show pretty much only one ID was used (the same one Fearne uses).

Am I right in saying the producer programmes in all the songs and imaging?

Well it looked for a wee while that Dan and Phil were the next big thing in radio but they seem to have largely dissappeared

I remember them saying the same about Colin and Edith 11 years ago when they took over from Mark & Lard, Edith went on her own on afternoons when Colin went to his evening show in 2007 I think. But you need 2 people or 3 at that time of day. She struggled on her own, not really fair on her to leave her with 3 hours to fill after being used to having a partner on air.

JK and Joel were another pair. Didn't mind them, they never made me want to dive at the radio to turn on their show. But I could listen to them, and they had a decent back and fourth. Haven't heard from them for years now.

on the grid.

This is when I used to listen to Radio 1.

I never rated Colin & Edith as a pair, but when Murray did his own evening show that actually turned out OK. He only held that post for 2 years or so though before he left completley.

on the grid.