Unofficial Mills

Gemma Cairney takes over early breakfast

steve24

Just been announced that from the end of march Gemma is doing early breakfast, with Dev moved to weekend breakfast. No idea whether or not other changes will be announced in the days ahead or not or if that's it.So Dev is back doing the show he first did back in 2009.I would have hoped they'd find something better for him by now

I think it's a good move for Dev. I'm sure after a number of years on earlies he will enjoy being up at a better time, and he has been doing a huge amount of cover work this Christmas. As for early breakfast I'll be interested to see how Gemma makes it her own.

I also heard this. Fantastic news for Dev! Well deserved. Maybe this announcement is just the beginning in terms of re-shuffling weekends but who knows? Perhapswe will see Dev on Drive or Breakfast in a few years as past earlies DJ's have done this (eg Moyles on Drive and Breakfast, Greg on Drive, Scott on Drive and cover for Breakfast)

I think it's a good move for Dev. I'm sure after a number of years on earlies he will enjoy being up at a better time, and he has been doing a huge amount of cover work this Christmas. As for early breakfast I'll be interested to see how Gemma makes it her own.

It does mean he'll be in a better position to cover for DJs during the week I suppose

I'm still trying to work out who the winner in this is? Dev or Gemma?! I was hoping that Pete Allison would get a crack at it.

Dev is bound to be gutted , feel sorry for him! I think his show worked well on earlies. Moving from 5 shows to 2 even with a slightly better audience is no promotion. I remember when Greg was doing it he said he wouldn't want to swap to weekend breakfast. I think Ben cooper is hard to read so maybe he'll be moved to a better slot again soon. One things for sure I don't think all the truckers will be interested in Gemma's fashion features!!

''is Dave1 the real Dave ? '' E*F*4*L

From what I can gather, it is Gemma who has got the promotion here. Perhaps they're just moving Dev for now and then will introduce him to a new daytime weekly slot in a year or so? He deserves better then just two shows a week.

Disappointed it's Gemma taking over. Don't like her weekend breakfast show. Wanted Pete Allison to take over it. I'm just hoping this isn't a move to introduce Gemma into a weekday slot, then eventually have her replace Fearne.

Yeah, when reading the press release it does seem to be geared towards Gemma having the good news, being that the picture is just her and 90% of the article is about her. Have to feel a bit sorry for Dev :( I'm still reeling from shock that she has actaully been promoted. I'm sure she is a lovely girl but I just cant listen to her on the radio. Its too grating in the timeslot of 7-10am, let alone 4-6:30am!

Next thing we'll be reading an article about Jameela Jamil being promoted! (Actually lets not joke about these things, wouldn't be at all humorous...)

Yeah, when reading the press release it does seem to be geared towards Gemma having the good news, being that the picture is just her and 90% of the article is about her. Have to feel a bit sorry for Dev :( I'm still reeling from shock that she has actaully been promoted. I'm sure she is a lovely girl but I just cant listen to her on the radio. Its too grating in the timeslot of 7-10am, let alone 4-6:30am!

Next thing we'll be reading an article about Jameela Jamil being promoted! (Actually lets not joke about these things, wouldn't be at all humorous...)

There's a big piece in the Sun this weekend about Sarah Jane Crawford and how she is supposedely the next big t hing in radio. If she was to move to Radio One as part of these schedule changes in March what slot would she do? There will be no female DJs on saturdays for the first time in years so maybe she would do weekend 1-4 or maybe even replace Jameela on the chart show? I have a feeling that Jameela won't be on r1 much longer and SJC is the perfect replacement

I hope this is good news for Dev! I felt he was going to end up in that slot forever, really annoyed about Gemma taking over she is way to grating for that time of day! If they wanted a female to take over why not Adele, Alice Levine, jasmin, or Clara Amfo, all much better choices! Sara Jane, lovely girl, but not very good solo dj, would much prefer her with another dj, she works well with trevor nelson at the end of his show. Jameela either needs to go or have Scott with her every Sunday or just have Scott or Greg take over completely!

hello

Having a hard time picturing Gemma's chirpy line of fluff vs. trucker callers on early breakfast. Dev has adjusted to that slot really well. Not sure where they can move him at this time that wouldn't be a downgrade compared to early breakfast. Chart Show perhaps?

I hope this is an attempt to fix weekend daytime line up, rather than Gemma's promotion. They should redo the entire 7-19h weekend line up (minus Matt Edmondson). Also, am I the only one who thinks 4pm on Saturday is a bit to early for dance anthems?

Having a hard time picturing Gemma's chirpy line of fluff vs. trucker callers on early breakfast. Dev has adjusted to that slot really well. Not sure where they can move him at this time that wouldn't be a downgrade compared to early breakfast. Chart Show perhaps?

I hope this is an attempt to fix weekend daytime line up, rather than Gemma's promotion. They should redo the entire 7-19h weekend line up (minus Matt Edmondson). Also, am I the only one who thinks 4pm on Saturday is a bit to early for dance anthems?

I'd change the weekend line up as well to include a sport & music type show on Saturday 10-1pm and keep Matt for Sundays.

I'd give Jameela the surgery and find a new chart show host.

so Saturday

7am: Dev

10am: Sport & music show (Pete Allison?) or Greg James and one of Chris Smith or Chris Stark) and give Danny Friday dance anthems

1pm: Huw Stephens

4pm: Danny Howard (can't see where else to have dance anthems)

Sunday

7am: Dev

10:00am: Matt Edmondson

1:00pm Huw Stephens

4:00pm Chart Show with new host

7pm Dan & Phil

9pm surgery with Jameela

10:00pm Annie Mac

I think Dev's a winner here, because he will not need to wake up at like half 2 in the morning and of course he's allowed to have guests on his show and do even more weekday daytime covers. The weekends on Radio 1 are getting better and better. Well, except of course 4-9 p.m. on Sundays.

Personally it might be nice for Dev to not have early morning but on a professional level it seems like a side step at absolute best for him. Weekend Breakfast is usually a slot used to ease people in or out of the station. Ben Cooper has never seemed to particularly rate Dev although he has got an increasing amount of cover although that could well be down the unavailability of other DJs due to Christmas. Cooper definitely has him behind Matt Edmondson and Huw whenever it comes to cover it seems.

On a personal level it's good for me, I'm seldom up for early breakfast and sometimes up for weekend breakfast and I like Dev. Like the vast majority of people on here I think Gemma is atrocious and I hope she isn't being lined up to take over from Fearne. I personally prefer Jameela to Gemma which is saying something.

For fans of Dev I think the best we can hope for is that he is on Weekend Breakfast as a place holder for a few months before being moved elsewhere (Weekend Afternoons for example).

Anyway another bad move by Cooper. When Mills leaves for me there is little of interest at the station. Grimmy is fine, I'm not mad keen on Matt Edmondson nor Greg nor Fearne. Shame. And I'm in the target audience.

Personally it might be nice for Dev to not have early morning but on a professional level it seems like a side step at absolute best for him. Weekend Breakfast is usually a slot used to ease people in or out of the station. Ben Cooper has never seemed to particularly rate Dev although he has got an increasing amount of cover although that could well be down the unavailability of other DJs due to Christmas. Cooper definitely has him behind Matt Edmondson and Huw whenever it comes to cover it seems.

On a personal level it's good for me, I'm seldom up for early breakfast and sometimes up for weekend breakfast and I like Dev. Like the vast majority of people on here I think Gemma is atrocious and I hope she isn't being lined up to take over from Fearne. I personally prefer Jameela to Gemma which is saying something.

For fans of Dev I think the best we can hope for is that he is on Weekend Breakfast as a place holder for a few months before being moved elsewhere (Weekend Afternoons for example).

Anyway another bad move by Cooper. When Mills leaves for me there is little of interest at the station. Grimmy is fine, I'm not mad keen on Matt Edmondson nor Greg nor Fearne. Shame. And I'm in the target audience.

I think as part of her new contract Gemma will be the regular cover for Fearne ,so it's doubtful whether we'll hear Coxy on radio one again.She certainly hasn't mentioned anything about any future cover ,which I thought she might on friday .I guess it doesn't really make much sense for sara to sit in for Fearne when she doesnt even have her own show on the station anymore

• 3 weeks later...

In moving Dev to a weekend slot, this puts him in a better position to cover Scott Mills and Greg James, which is quite an exciting opportunity for him. He was excellent over Christmas in the afternoon shift, and now with him able to do more daytime cover Huw Stephens, who I respect as a DJ but covers way too much, can be given less to do which also is good for Matt Edmondson.

Greg James should move to breakfast in September. My dream would be for Dev to take drivetime 4-7pm. I would've said Matt Edmondson but surely he is better suited to taking over Scott Mills whenever he leaves. Have the two swap slots in late 2015. Huw Stephens can take over Zane Lowe whenever that happens. I really like the weekend lineup, now, and whilst Dev may have been demoted (an awful swap, Gemma Cairney... good luck), I think when you think about it it all makes sense, really. I can't see Dev not being at BBC Radio 1; people love him, and people want to hear him. He is the hardest working DJ, but I think his enthusiasm is what makes the quality of his shows entertaining and optimistic. I'm a DJ myself, and I've always thought it important to come across happy to make the listeners happy. Dev will have to adapt into weekend mornings, once more, but he'll do fine. Gemma won't last long, trust me, I mean if anything if people are really thinking her as in line to replace Fearne Cotton one day they are mistaken, majorly. Alice Levine will leave Phil Taggart to take that shift, leaving him solo on the late-night show. So, one day soon...

06:30 Greg James

10:00 Alice Levine

13:00 Matt Edmondson

16:00 Dev

19:00 Huw Stephens

22:00 Phil Taggart

Weekends

07:00 Nick Grimshaw

10:00 Scott Mills

13:00 Zane Lowe

Controversial, I know, but this is only my theory / preference. The three guys at the weekend... well two of them will be in the late end of their careers at BBC Radio 1. Grimshaw, I just don't know about, I think he's pretty good on the TV if I'm honest. But so's Greg James... ugh, all these possibilities! I mean Dev would be good on breakfast, wouldn't he?!

In moving Dev to a weekend slot, this puts him in a better position to cover Scott Mills and Greg James, which is quite an exciting opportunity for him. He was excellent over Christmas in the afternoon shift, and now with him able to do more daytime cover Huw Stephens, who I respect as a DJ but covers way too much, can be given less to do which also is good for Matt Edmondson.

Greg James should move to breakfast in September. My dream would be for Dev to take drivetime 4-7pm. I would've said Matt Edmondson but surely he is better suited to taking over Scott Mills whenever he leaves. Have the two swap slots in late 2015. Huw Stephens can take over Zane Lowe whenever that happens. I really like the weekend lineup, now, and whilst Dev may have been demoted (an awful swap, Gemma Cairney... good luck), I think when you think about it it all makes sense, really. I can't see Dev not being at BBC Radio 1; people love him, and people want to hear him. He is the hardest working DJ, but I think his enthusiasm is what makes the quality of his shows entertaining and optimistic. I'm a DJ myself, and I've always thought it important to come across happy to make the listeners happy. Dev will have to adapt into weekend mornings, once more, but he'll do fine. Gemma won't last long, trust me, I mean if anything if people are really thinking her as in line to replace Fearne Cotton one day they are mistaken, majorly. Alice Levine will leave Phil Taggart to take that shift, leaving him solo on the late-night show. So, one day soon...

06:30 Greg James

13:00 Matt Edmondson

16:00 Dev

19:00 Huw Stephens

Weekends

07:00 Nick Grimshaw

10:00 Scott Mills

13:00 Zane Lowe

Controversial, I know, but this is only my theory / preference. The three guys at the weekend... well two of them will be in the late end of their careers at BBC Radio 1. Grimshaw, I just don't know about, I think he's pretty good on the TV if I'm honest. But so's Greg James... ugh, all these possibilities! I mean Dev would be good on breakfast, wouldn't he?!

I think that will probably be the line-up in two/three years time. Although, I think Matt will probably get drivetime and Dev in the afternoon slot. Also, I think Fearne or Scott will get the weekend breakfast slot, and then, as you say, Alice takes over Fearne on 10-1. Would love Scott to renew his contract, but judging by what he has said previously, it would seem he might already have made up his mind. :(

Grimmy, I don't really know. I think if he is kicked off the breakfast slot, he might leave Radio 1 altogether. But, with them visualising the chart more and almost turning it into a TV show in itself, perhaps Grimmy would be good doing this?

I also think that we might be seeing Greg on breakfast sometime soon. Probably either September or, if the RAJAR's are bad this week, even sooner. The Greg James Show for breakfast with a proper team-style show again (Greg, Pippa, Laura (is she returning?), Chris Smith (in the studio, not a box on the other side of the station), Travis) would be really good! I still wonder whether the plan has always been to put Grimmy on breakfast just to absorb the loss of listeners from Moyles' departure and get the listener age down considerably, then replace him with Greg in a couple of years. Perhaps we will see over this year.

2016 (ish)

04:00 Pete Allison

06:30 The Greg James Show

13:00 Dev

16:00 The Matt Edmondson Show

19:00 Zane Lowe (think he will still remain)

Weekend:

07:00 Scott Mills

10:00 Fearne Cotton

13:00 Someone New

16:00 Dance Anthems with Danny Howard / Official Chart with Nick Grimshaw