Unofficial Mills

All Flights Cancelled in/out of UK

yorkieboy

Hmm wasn't it a her-uge cloud of dust and ash that is thought to be one possible cause for the extinction of the Dinosaurs (albeit brought on by impact of an asteroid)?

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure there was something from space landing in America very recently... (meteor or summat)

samozzy.png

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure there was something from space landing in America very recently... (meteor or summat)

Yes, I saw the video of that, well it streaking across the sky as it broke up anyways... soddit, the whole planet's on a slow descent in to Hades...

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

Yes, I saw the video of that, well it streaking across the sky as it broke up anyways... soddit, the whole planet's on a slow descent in to Hades...

Indeed!

January, just before the Haiti earthquake, it's announced we're doing earthquakes in geography.

Before Easter, it's announced we're going to start volcanoes in geography.

I really hope there's no 'Armageddon' or 'Mass World Destruction' or even 'Nuclear Weapons Testing.. Gone wrong' geography projects...

samozzy.png

Indeed!

January, just before the Haiti earthquake, it's announced we're doing earthquakes in geography.

Before Easter, it's announced we're going to start volcanoes in geography.

I really hope there's no 'Armageddon' or 'Mass World Destruction' or even 'Nuclear Weapons Testing.. Gone wrong' geography projects...

We're doing revision in geography. Does that mean the world is going to end and then start again, but only as a pale imitation of its former self?

Ohai.

Dave mentioned a programme on Channel 5 tonight called Volcanic Ash - Flight Of Terror. Very inappropriate show, and very bad timing considering the air space has only just opened.

Synopsis

Documentary exploring the harrowing story of British Airways Flight 009, which filled with sulphurous smoke after flying into a cloud of volcanic ash. All four of the 747's jet engines failed, sending the aircraft and its 263 passengers plunging towards the Indian Ocean.

take control

Dave mentioned a programme on Channel 5 tonight called Volcanic Ash - Flight Of Terror. Very inappropriate show, and very bad timing considering the air space has only just opened.

Synopsis

Documentary exploring the harrowing story of British Airways Flight 009, which filled with sulphurous smoke after flying into a cloud of volcanic ash. All four of the 747's jet engines failed, sending the aircraft and its 263 passengers plunging towards the Indian Ocean.

Totally deliberate scheduling... not sure if a fail or not really as they probably showed it to make a point.

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

no surprise there's now a row about who should take the costs. Surely NATS who made the call to lockdown should be the ones who pay? After all, they are about the only ones involved who haven't really lost financially (that I can tell) as yet.

That's a very good justification! :P

I think they should split it between the airlines and NATS....

samozzy.png

Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary said that one customer who had a 9euro ticket had submitted a 800euro bill for accommodation & other stuff, thats taking the piss !

i hope that Ryanair, BA & the other airlines successfully sue the government & EU for compensation they are the ones to blame no the airlines as they said there was no problems with the ash & wanted to fly but the government & EU wouldn't let them.

:)

Oh piss off is it the government's fault! Would everybody have rather they verged on the other side of caution and then some plane crashed and loads of people died? No.

Agreed. No one has died because the governments have closed air spaces, and inconvenienced several thousand people. I'd have sooner it had been like this than a plane crashing to ground and killing who knows how many people. Safety and lives first

take control

Oh piss off is it the government's fault! Would everybody have rather they verged on the other side of caution and then some plane crashed and loads of people died? No.

the evidence provided by the airlines, engine manufactures, Boeing & Airbus said it was ok to fly, the politicians, health & safety said that it wasn't.

the question is, how many of the stranded people given the choice of flying or being stranded would have taken the option to fly.

:)

the evidence provided by the airlines, engine manufactures, Boeing & Airbus said it was ok to fly, the politicians, health & safety said that it wasn't.

the question is, how many of the stranded people given the choice of flying or being stranded would have taken the option to fly.

Alan, these rules are in place for a reason. It is a serious danger to Jet engines to fly through ash. NATS had a good grounding for erm... grounding the planes, and I would of been shocked if they hadn't. With air Travel, safety HAS to come before profit, even if it does cause severe inconvenience. At the time, there was evidence to suggest the skys weren't safe.

And of course all them companys were saying it was safe. They were losing revenue! The evidence produced (as far as I have seen) was shaky; they hadn't done anywhere near enough tests to check how safe they were. Ash damages over time, so going up for a pissy little flight like what BA done was a pointless waste of time.

Let me remind you, Ash clouds have brought planes down.

Nik B.

Born to Toads.

Let me remind you, Ash has brought planes down.

Bringing planes down as well as collecting Pokémon!! (I couldn't resist...)

Seriously though, this stuff is really starting to annoy me.. Girlfriend stuck in St Lucia, flights only going out Sunday, Friday + Tuesday now, and the rest of this week is already booked.. She was supposed to be back a week ago! GAH!

I'll shu'up now...

samozzy.png

Those people have no knowledge of the dangers - it's not their decision to make. The airlines had a motive to argue that the skies were safe - NATS had no motive to be anything but impartial.