Unofficial Mills

Are you religious?

Sam

Are you religious?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Are you religious?

• Yes
    • No

Ooh I feel I should answer this question in great depth, what with me being an ex-RE A Level student and all that. I've put yes - I was christened yet I don't practise Christianity by going to church every week etc. Although sometimes I am sceptical about whether there is a God or not, I'm pretty sure there's something up there.

Alouette...deployer les ailes;

Alouette...plumerai les ailes.

I'm not religious at all, Religion intrests me though.

'God' is something can not be proved or disproved, I think this extract from Russell's Teapot explains it best.

If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is an intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestial_teapot

Attunement.png

I would probably fit in the category of very religious. In my experience it is Christian youth events/groups that have the best banter. We did make a King Kong spoof using various fruits (including lychees) last year... basically we made as much mess as possible ;)

My goodness, that's a pretty funky donkey!

I would probably fit in the category of very religious. In my experience it is Christian youth events/groups that have the best banter. We did make a King Kong spoof using various fruits (including lychees) last year... basically we made as much mess as possible ;)

Going to Christian events/groups is very different than believing that there is a God.

Attunement.png

Going to Christian events/groups is very different than believing that there is a God.

I agree, maybe I should've expanded more in that direction!

I fully believe that there is a God and in all the Jesus/Holy Spirit stuff. I'm going to be one of those really annoying people and claim to have had multiple 'religious experiences'.

I have to go, I may write some more tomorrow (then again, I may not ;) )

My goodness, that's a pretty funky donkey!

i do not believe in a god or any omnipotent being !

however i have read parts the the religious texts Bible, Qur'an, Tanakh & Bhagawat only so i can understand them more so i can discredit them or maybe even criticism them.

if i had to conform to a religion i think it would most likely be Taoism though in it's most basic form (none of that feng shui stuff though)

all the 'ahem' prophet's Jesus, Muhammad ibn ‘Abdullāh, Gautama & Abraham etc did probably exist, however they didn't have special powers that could heal people etc, all they did was start up a franchise business

i believe there is more chance of intelligent alien beings out in space now than a god who created the universe (i hold this to be fact, that there are aliens out there), anyway back to the point, if there is a god then there can only one, & i would rather not believe in any than spend all my life praying to the wrong one because i'm sure it would be pissed off that you have worshiped a nobody rather than having a open mind.

so no i am not religious.

:)

I am not religious in the sense that I go to church every week (I go at Christmas time tho) but I do believe in God and if not a God as such I do believe that there is something there. I love the idea that there is an afterlife too but don't know if I believe for sure that there is. I'd like to think that there has to be something afterwards as I don't like that idea that when you die that's it....

ETA - If my church was anything like the church Jamie Oliver went to in "Jamies American Road Trip" (I think it was last week - I watched last weeks and this weeks last night) I would go every week!!! It looked like a blast!

glitzy.jpg

I don't think I'll vote, because it's not just a yes or no thing. I am Christian and I think I believe that there is a God, but I don't go to church every week or pray before I go to bed. I go to church at Christmas time, Easter, that thing after Easter, the English name of which I don't remember... the big "events" basically. I wanted to go last Sunday, because it was like "the celebration of the harvest" (oh how I hate not knowing the proper words), but my parents didn't wake me even though I told them to. They go to church every week, not because there religious, but because they have to. My dad plays the organ, and my mum also "works" for the church.

Long story short, I'm not religious. I believe, but I'm not religious as such.

Il n'y a qu'un devoir, c'est d'être heureux; il ny'a qu'une vertu, c'est la justice -Denis Diderot

I went to fairly religious schools but didn't have much religious influence at home. My dad's family are CofE so have been to weddings, funerals, christenings etc. Personally though I don't believe in anything much at all and I very rarely attend religious services.

My sister on the other hand was very anti religion as a child and teenager but discovered evangelist christianity at university and is now a very committed evangelist.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

like them ones in America ?

Kind of. You get them here too, just not as many. They go to modern style churches and sing and dance and clap and they have teenage bands who play the songs. Matt Redman, Hillsong... lots of other contemporary Christian musicians/bands. They also go to bible study groups "Cell Groups" (sounds a bit of a sinister name to me) and they don't believe in sex before marriage so most of them get married in their early 20s.

As you can probably tell, I don't think much of it. They don't approve of men and women being friends and put way too much emphasis on sex, and it encourages people to make life commitments before they're necessarily ready.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

Kind of. You get them here too, just not as many. They go to modern style churches and sing and dance and clap and they have teenage bands who play the songs. Matt Redman, Hillsong... lots of other contemporary Christian musicians/bands. They also go to bible study groups "Cell Groups" (sounds a bit of a sinister name to me) and they don't believe in sex before marriage so most of them get married in their early 20s.

As you can probably tell, I don't think much of it. They don't approve of men and women being friends and put way too much emphasis on sex, and it encourages people to make life commitments before they're necessarily ready.

there is one of them not far from me, hmmm a lot of weird things seem to go on in them cult churches :|

them types should be banned, people who have gone to the one by me when they have died they leave their house (money from the sale) to the church, it's all about money, very sinister to me, look what happened to them poor people in Waco :|

:)