Unofficial Mills

Whiley plays Husband's Band's Music

DarkAngelMJH

Jo Whiley, the BBC Radio 1 DJ, showcased on her popular morning show two bands managed by her husband.

Whiley, 44, featured high-profile live sets by the Hoosiers and the Automatic, which are looked after by Steve Morton, her husband.

Recordings of the Radio 1 music sessions were included on two compilation CDs released by Sony, named the Live Lounge after that section of her show. They sold a combined total of 1.26m, for which the bands received undisclosed royalties.

The disclosure will raise questions about the BBC’s failure to make public the commercial interests of presenters on Radio 1, despite its dominant role in the music industry.

<!--#include file="m63-article-related-attachements.html"-->The station has a weekly audience of 11.3m and can make or break new bands with its choice of which songs to play – its official playlist of 50 songs that are rotated throughout the schedule.

Whiley, who is also the face of the BBC’s Glastonbury coverage, invited the Automatic onto her show for a live performance in June 2006.

A week later their single, Monster, went into the charts at No 4. The Hoosiers performed live on her show in October 2007, and later that month their debut album went to the top of the charts.

Their performances for Whiley were featured on the compilation CDs called the Live Lounge. A CD, which featured the Automatic, sold 902,000, while another, with the Automatic and the Hoosiers, sold 359,000.

The Radio 1 playlist also had a part in their rise. In May 2007 the Hoosiers were playing to crowds of 15-20 people, but after their debut single went on the BBC’s playlist their popularity exploded.

The BBC said that Whiley, who is moving her show to weekends and has given up her weekday slot to make way for Fearne Cotton, had noted her husband’s interests on an internal register.

Morton insisted that his bands were not given special treatment, saying that the Hoosiers were playlisted by regional and commercial radio stations and MTV, the music tele-vision channel, before appearing on the Radio 1 playlist.

He added that the Automatic’s hit single Monster was broken by both Radio 1, music tele-vision and regional radio at the same time. He insisted there was no conflict.

The BBC refuses to disclose the names of the 16 panellists who decide each week which songs will be given a slot on the playlist.

However, The Sunday Times has obtained a list showing that they are mainly producers of the station’s shows. Stuart Last, Whiley’s producer, is one of them, as is Matt Fincham, a producer on Chris Moyles’s breakfast show.

Dominic Hardisty, a music executive who signed the Killers, one of the world’s biggest bands, said: “Radio 1 is the single most influential force in breaking new music in the UK. Its playlist decisions heavily influence all the other commercial music stations. It should ensure the playlist process is transparent.â€

A BBC spokeswoman said it had a rigorous conflict of interest policy. “Jo Whiley has no influence on the Radio 1 playlist and does not play any part in selecting songs for the Live Lounge albums,†she said.

<!-- End of pagination -->

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article6797842.ece

They missed out Aled in the playlist people! :shock:

Now if Jo hadn't have had them bands in the Live Lounge would that have also been controversial as she's not 'catering for everyone'?

I am Burdened with Glorious Purpose - Loki Laufeyson

I thought this was a bit of a non-story when I read it earlier. They've worked on it since to make it sound a bit more controversial but I can't see the huge significance. I dare say all DJs have friends in the music business and Whiley's husband works at a big record company, it's difficult to not play their stuff.

Daytime DJs don't have much of a say, but out of all of them, Whiley would have had the most influence on her show's playlist compared to others.

She didn't relentlessly plug them though. They were played as much as any other band.

The geek formally known as Scott Mills Guru

They make it sound like Fearne will be any different. She has an endless list of romantic links with male artists. She's supposedly dating Mr Hudson at the moment.

Didnt you know that if if the live lounge stays with Fearne Mr Hudson is the 1st guest :hahaha:

james_ryder.png

Im glad people are supporting Jo - but I do think that the bias of the presenters and people on the playlist committee for R1 can make or break a new artist or single.

Because i want the presenters to have an active interest in music i'm not sure that its necessarily a bad thing- as long as they are honest and admit that they are human and have preferences for certain bands. would the Hoff's singles have been half as sucessful if Scott hadnt been so enthusiastic about them?

Im glad people are supporting Jo - but I do think that the bias of the presenters and people on the playlist committee for R1 can make or break a new artist or single.

Because i want the presenters to have an active interest in music i'm not sure that its necessarily a bad thing- as long as they are honest and admit that they are human and have preferences for certain bands. would the Hoff's singles have been half as sucessful if Scott hadnt been so enthusiastic about them?

Or ladies bras :P

The geek formally known as Scott Mills Guru

Dolly Rockers wouldn't have been played if it wasn't for Louis Walsh being linked to Scott. Moyles wouldn't play John Barrowman. Edith seems to favour Florence and The Machine. There's a lot of impartiality so I do think it's unfair to point the finger at Jo.