Unofficial Mills

Author slams Whiley, Bowman, Lamb

Jono

John Osbourne has accused BBC Radio 1 DJs of not being adventurous enough in their choice of music.

The author has written a new book titled Radio Head, which chronicles his time spent listening to a different British radio station every day for a month.

Osbourne told thelondonpaper: "The people I wanted to make sure I was nasty about were Jon Gaunt and Jo Whiley. My main objection to her, and Edith Bowman, is this.

"When I was a teenager, Radio 1 was really exciting, but now it's boring music presented by boring presenters. Jo Whiley is the voice of dull indie, like James Morrison and The Kooks. These people could do more exciting stuff."

Of George Lamb, he added: "I enjoy reading things written about him on the internet - he's really unpopular. 6 Music has an ethos that the only important thing is the music and DJs shouldn't chat too much, and he's the opposite.

"When he had the Super Furry Animals on he'd clearly never heard of them. It's infuriating to have a person so well paid, in an enviable job, who doesn't appear to care."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/a157284/author-slams-whiley-bowman-lamb.html

He has got a point imo, but I don't think it's necisseraly (sp) their fault, I think both Jo and Edith's slot would be much better if they had more free reign on their music choice.

It doesn't matter as much with Moyles and Scott because they're entertainment shows.

well John Osbourne if you had bothered to do any research you would have found out that Radio-1 have a play-list & the dj's have very little choice in what they play, most of the play-list is based on the charts, which in-turn is structured to show what people are buying.

in doing as much research as John Osbourne for his book, for writing my above comment;

Radio Head by John Osbourne is a boring & bland book, written by a bitter old man who has no taste in music what so ever & is trying to sound cool by entitling his book Radio Head, where in fact it makes him seem like a nob which indecently is true.

:)

Alan, you're always so unbelievably angry about people who criticise Radio 1 - it's now become funny.

well Hmmm, there is nothing wrong with criticizing Radio-1 but if you don't use the facts available, like the dj's are given a playlist & they have very little say on what gets played, is that statement not true ?

people like him just don't like to pay the license fee, or have been pissed off by the BBC in some way shape of form in the past & because they now have a forum to have their dig as a coward because there is no way for people to respond.

maybe he should come on here !

people like him just don't like to pay the license fee, or have been pissed off by the BBC in some way shape of form in the past & because they now have a forum to have their dig as a coward because there is no way for people to respond.

It seems to me that you always link criticising the Beeb with not wanting to pay the licence fee - how do you know he doesn't?

well John Osbourne if you had bothered to do any research you would have found out that Radio-1 have a play-list & the dj's have very little choice in what they play, most of the play-list is based on the charts, which in-turn is structured to show what people are buying.

But the presenters do sometimes stray from the playlist, you'll hear Moyles sometimes just say he won't play something as it's crap and then play Foo Fighters. I recall hearing that Jo Whiley has the most control over the music on her show compared to other daytime DJs, but I can't remember the source for that so don't take it as hard fact.

BritishGaming.co.uk | SciFi.co.uk

I recall hearing that Jo Whiley has the most control over the music on her show compared to other daytime DJs, but I can't remember the source for that so don't take it as hard fact.

Yeah I remember that too, maybe TOWDS or Aled said it? But Ima sure I read it on here at some point

I am Burdened with Glorious Purpose - Loki Laufeyson

He is allowed tohave an opinion and make comments...and is likely to make some contentious ones to sell his book!

However he might have a point, all the recent furore about Moyles seems to imply that R1 are thinking about some kind of changes. If they want to chase the image of being a young station at the cutting edge of media events...some of their presenters have been there a long time, and are getting a bit predictable. (As a listener I actually like that about R1, it makes it easier to dip in and out becasue the presenters and tone is familiar- but im not sure if that is what the bosses want.)

in doing as much research as John Osbourne for his book, for writing my above comment;

Radio Head by John Osbourne is a boring & bland book, written by a bitter old man who has no taste in music what so ever & is trying to sound cool by entitling his book Radio Head, where in fact it makes him seem like a nob which indecently is true.

How is that so? What John Osbourne says about Radio 1 (specifically Whiley and Bowman apparently) is that it is "boring music presented by boring presenters". Even if the DJs don't choose the music, Osbourne still has every right to call presenters boring without being accused of having not done any research. I fail to see any particular faults in what he is saying.

Erm it's a different John Osbourne to the one on Absolute. This guy is 26, so hardly a "bitter old man".

And I think he's right, it's not so much the music they play but the enthusiasm they show for it, I listen to Whiley & Bowman because I have a strong loyalty to Radio 1, but I find myself bored completely.

The music on radio 1 is partially structured on what people are buying, but it also has a very strong influence on what people buy-radio 1 not playlisting tracks has caused many a career to fail and if radio 1 took a few more chances it would make for a more interesting and varied playlist-at the end of the day as a PBS it is their responsibility to introduce new and exciting music and promote up and coming bands. Even If Mr. Osbourne didn't know this due to lack of research-nor does the average listener and the average listener is just who Radio 1 need to entice.

And Alan if you did your research you would know that in the book John Osbourne is very complimentary to some shows on Radio 2 and the Asian Network, the book is also being broadcast on Radio 4 as their Book Of The Week. So he's hardly running a vendetta against the BBC.

how can he say that R1 is boring when he says that some shows on R2 are good, i find R2 boring as i do R4, & it's probably 'book of the week' for impartiality reasons.

if R1 are playing the music that people are buying then whats the problem, are you suggesting that they should play some of the 'out-there' stuff that the night time dj's play on in the daytime ? because that wouldn't be what people want, the BBC cannot please all the people all the time.

You sound as if you're clutching at straws here-he mentioned two shows on Radio 1, and the music policy not the whole station.

How could it be Radio 4's book of the week for impartiality reasons when he is much, much harsher on other stations? (talkSPORT, theJazz) And complimentary about various other stations in the BBC network?

What I'm saying about the Radio 1 music policy is that if R1 took a few more chances on the "out-there" stuff from night time then people might buy it. Because the playlist is as much about influencing what people buy as it is reflecting. It always has been-that's why people listen to radio 1 to hear new music, it is their duty as a Public Service Broadcaster and although I am relativley satisfied with the amount that they do this John Osbourne (a man still within the target age group of R1) obviously doesn't. And you'd probably be suprised that most acts on the playlist have come from the night time DJs (Lily Allen, Dizzee Rascal, Kings Of Leon etc.)

i get that & i also think they should play different stuff as the chart is crap, but if R1 don't play the chart stuff they will lose listeners, would John prefer Westwood & his gangsta rap show instead of Jo Whiley at lunchtime ?

people say that the BBC shouldn't copy the commercial stations it should do different stuff, but if they do different stuff & people don't like it then they say that they don't deserve the licence fee, just take BBC3 for example, the government pushed the BBC to get more digital output to encourage people to go digital yet it has very poor viewing figures & people say that it's a waste of license fee payers money, the same goes for R7 who listens to that !

he doesn't like the music on R1 fair enough but why should it change so that it plays stuff only he likes, that's the point you cannot just say that Jo Whiley is a boring dj without any sort of reason especially if that reason is the music she has to play & has no choice in the matter.

"i get that & i also think they should play different stuff as the chart is crap, but if R1 don't play the chart stuff they will lose listeners"

^ Contradiction. They need a balance and variety, which is exactly what John says in his book. Therefore of course he wouldn't want Westwood and his rap show (it's not all gangsta btw) on at lunchtime-he is calling for an exciting mix presented with enthusiasm.

There is a reason BBC3 gets poor viewing figures and that is because a lot of the stuff on there is of what many believe to be poor quality however it does appeal to some people and so it needs to be kept because the BBC is all about providing for the niche market, same for BBC7-not many people may listen but it should remain because it does appeal to some. Anyway that's not to do with Radio 1 so we're straying from the topic.

Jo Whiley does have some choice in the matter and it isn't necessarily a full on personal attack directed at her it is the people who produce her show and the people in charge of the music policy. How do you know he has not given reason's for saying Jo Whiley is boring? Have you read the book? Same goes for you saying he wants Radio 1 to play the stuff only he likes, find me the bit in the book where is says that. Go on, I dare you.

i wouldn't buy the book if it were free :P

well there is a balance then already, the daytime v the night time, different music for different people what exactly is a exciting mix, also if the listening figures are going up they must be doing something right as for Jo i wouldn't think that he would give a reasons for her being boring as that would be personal.

also has he ever done any dj'ing & if his idea is so good why isn't he a dj or have his own station ;)

i know Westwood's show isn't just gangsta, i do listen to the show, i was speaking in general terms.

what is the best station then in John's opinion then ?

im probably pissed off at all the BBC bashing, that's why !

all the dam time it's anti BBC this & anti BBC that, the BBC does great TV & radio & the commercial stations are crap CRAP I SAY

Rant over, sorry :oops: