Unofficial Mills

Reggie Yates to take breakfast?

Jono

Not content on letting The Sun dig the knife in all by themselves, The Daily Star have come out with a just as appallingly bad article!

JOCK SHOCK FOR MOYLES

DJ Chris Moyles “went ballistic” yesterday after claims the BBC was planning to axe his Radio 1 breakfast show.

Rumours were rife that Chris was to be replaced by fellow Radio 1 DJ Scott Mills, 35, and then by a younger presenter in September.

Sources said Chris, 35, was assured there were no plans to end his contract after a fiery early-morning showdown with BBC bosses.

Last night the self-styled “Saviour of Radio 1” blasted out an internet Twitter message to fans, saying: “The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.”

But a source said: “The first thing he heard about it was when he read the morning

papers.

“To say he went ballistic would be an understatement.

“The BBC assured him that nothing has been decided and there are no plans to replace him.

“But he is upset and I wouldn’t be surprised if he starts looking elsewhere. With 7million loyal listeners, commercial radio stations will be falling over themselves to sign him up.”

The Daily Star Sunday can also reveal there have been private discussions about one day handing the prestigious breakfast slot to rising Radio 1 star Reggie Yates.

Our source said: “There has been talk of giving Reggie the breakfast slot.

“He’s ten years younger than Chris and suits the station profile perfectly.

“There’s no firm timetable laid out but Chris knows the time to move on can’t be too far away.

“He’s also busy on his Channel 4 chat show.”

A BBC spokesman said there were “no plans to take Chris off the breakfast show”.

Chris will be Radio 1’s longest-serving breakfast host come September, beating Tony Blackburn’s record of five years and nine months.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/77326/Jock-shock-for-Moyles/

Very interesting that The Star reckon Scott would takeover breakfast before a new arrival in September. Don't think even The Sun claimed things would move that quickly ;)

Also Reggie Yates? Do me a favour.

Reggie Yates Breakfast Show :hahaha:

thats the funniest thing i have heard all year !

He’s ten years younger than Chris and suits the station profile perfectly.

all i seem to see & hear is that Fearne & Reggie are rubbish at the chart show, & that's coming from the so called 'station profile listeners' !

:)

moyles is one of the last dj's around with class. i can imagine radio 1 in 10 years, full of dj's that have rolled off a production line filling their 3 hour shows with talk about the upcoming red hot chilli peppers gig that's on in 6 months time. reggie yates? your kidding right. i would rather listen to radio 3.

on the grid.

Reggie isn't a that unlikely alternative. If you look for a new, young breakfast DJ within the walls of Radio 1, there are Greg James (from Early Breakfat to Breakfast? No.), that Grimshaw (who is being moved to nighttime) and Reggie (who is working at Radio 1 longer than the others). Although I would propably not like him hosting the breakfast show.

unique...

The whole point is they DON'T want Radio 1 to get to the stage it was at in 1995- with the majority of the daytime DJs pushing 50 resulting in a hugely damaging purge which would shed millions of listeners. Parfitt's style seems to be evolution instead of revoultion so I would expect the process of bringing in newer DJs to daytime to take 3 or 4 years. But it will be planned greatly in advanced.

Yates is a moron- if he takes over the Breakfast Show the listening figures would plummet!

I think if R1 were looking for a younger replacement for Moyles they would need to look further afield, as if he is too old then there is not really anyone younger who is ready to take the reins within R1.

caitlynmac.png

This story is simply ludicrous. If it were April 1st again, I would think it was a joke.

Has this journalist ever heard Reggie on Radio? I'd agree with both Kitty and Ellie's comments. He is not nearly intelligent enough to present a breakfast show, but he seems a nice bloke. I'd also add that he's pleasing on the eye, but this seems somewhat wasted on radio.

As I've said before both Reggie and Fearne have faces (and personalities) for TV, not radio.

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

Furious Radio 1 DJ Chris Moyles threatened to quit his show yesterday after finding out the BBC were secretly planning to axe him from his ratings-winning breakfast slot. Friends said he was "totally shellshocked" after it emerged he will lose control of the flagship programme as part of a station reshuffle.

A close friend said: "Chris is considering his options. He is due to meet with Radio 1 bosses in a few weeks because his contract is coming up for renewal in July

"But privately he feels that decisions have already been made and that it may be better if he goes sooner rather than later." But despite his shock sources claim that Moyles, 36, will remain at Radio 1. He has already hinted at plans to take on an afternoon slot.

However, the move to daytime would force him to take a huge pay cut from his estimated £630,000 a year.

Last night bookmakers were lining up a list of likely replacements on the breakfast show. DJ Nick Grimshaw was heading the field, followed by Vernon Kay.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/04/19/i-m-chrissed-off-115875-21288716/

Grimmy? Oh dear again. Vernon is just as old so wouldn't make sense.

all i seem to see & hear is that Fearne & Reggie are rubbish at the chart show, & that's coming from the so called 'station profile listeners' !

I don't know - if you sit there and watch the mentions of Radio 1 during their shows on Twitter you'll see a hell of a lot of young people tweeting about them. I've never seen it go so mad for them. However, this is a huge number of kids that just do not currently add to the RAJARs! So it'd be quite funny to see them takeover as the majority of their audience won't apply to the audience figures.

What annoys me is that Radio 1 is supposed to have a target audience of 15-25. By catering for 13-18 year olds with Switch and Fearne and Reggie and Grimmy you are pushing out the other half. Radio 1 are ignoring this. At least Radio 2 are getting it right with their target audience and keeping older DJs such as Wogan and Steve Wright as well as bringing in new DJs for the other side.

Radio 1 just seem to be ignoring the fact that there is a large number of their listenership who enjoy DJs like Moyles and Mills and they are not out of their target audience. At this rate 1Xtra will have to become a station for the other half of their target audience!

Andy Parfitt is seriously mistaken if he thinks the other half of his target audience all want to hear about High School Musical, Miley Cyrus, McFly, Perez Hilton, Bebo and Metro Station.

The current reports we see on a regular basis in the media is making me think that it's not an issue of older listeners still enjoying Radio 1. It could well be that Radio 1 bosses are going through a mid-life crisis and it's them that want to remain in touch with their childhood. Because right now their masterplans will destroy an amazing station for a many fans that should be allowed to listen to.

Vernon has too many TV commitments as well for it to be possible for him to take over. Plus I don't think he would want to!

They do get an awful lot of texts as well on Drivetime & Breakfast which shows all the interaction they have with the audience. I bet it takes a massive dive when they are not on

I am Burdened with Glorious Purpose - Loki Laufeyson

Vernon has too many TV commitments as well for it to be possible for him to take over. Plus I don't think he would want to!

It would be very strange if he did get the show or was even considered. He doesn't turn up to enough shows because of TV commitments as it is and he quit Sunday mornings to spend more time with his family. I like Vernon but I think presenters should go down the correct routes to get to the prestigious show.

The current reports we see on a regular basis in the media is making me think that it's not an issue of older listeners still enjoying Radio 1. It could well be that Radio 1 bosses are going through a mid-life crisis and it's them that want to remain in touch with their childhood. Because right now their masterplans will destroy an amazing station for a many fans that should be allowed to listen to.
Pardon?

That's a step too far, Jono, sorry.

It's only natural if a Radio station that is supposed to target a young audience looks for new, young DJs from time to time. Actually, every Radio station does this.

I do not believe that Radio 1 bosses want the station to be Switch all around the clock.

There was one post over here talking of "evolution rather than revolution". That's not only also my impression, I think you cannot find a better description for the current situation. The line-up Radio 1 have at the moment is about the same since 2004, isn't it? That's a massive 5 years. Radio 1 has to serve not only those who grew up with it for the last couple of years, but also those who are still to come. You can hardly do that with the same line-up for decades...

The problem they now have is DJs that are older than the audience they should appeal to. That doesn't mean getting rid of 80% of the DJs, but starting to bring new ones into the (daytime) schedule. Question is: where to start with? Whiley, who is the oldest of the daytime presenters, or Bowman, who may have the wekaest listening figures (don't know wether that's true...), or Moyles, who is controversial (although I believe you need a controversial personality like him if you want to have a successfull show), or Mills, who also might have things speaking against him.

I cannot see a complete reshuffle within less than maybe three years time. That would be too mad; too reckless. And although I would not want to see any change at all because I'm really content with the current schedule, it doen't have to be all bad...

unique...

Pardon?

That's a step too far, Jono, sorry.

It's only natural if a Radio station that is supposed to target a young audience looks for new, young DJs from time to time. Actually, every Radio station does this.

I do not believe that Radio 1 bosses want the station to be Switch all around the clock.

I believe the breakfast show should be the last step in the evolution. I can fully understand stuff like Switch and the Chart Show and realise that there is a time when Radio 1 will need to be appealing to its younger audience. I cannot, however, understand why the breakfast show.

Moyles is Radio 1's greatest asset as he brings in both a young and old audience. Once you get rid of him we'll see Scott Mills on breakfast and Greg James on afternoons. Once a replacement is found for breakfast it will no doubt mark the end for Scott as I cannot see him being found a new slot. After that it really will be more of a revolution as opposed to an evolution as the schedule will dramatically change and I don't see why that should happen seeing as I am still comfortably in the target audience and should still be catered for.

Once you get rid of him we'll see Scott Mills on breakfast and Greg James on afternoons. Once a replacement is found for breakfast it will no doubt mark the end for Scott as I cannot see him being found a new slot. After that it really will be more of a revolution as opposed to an evolution as the schedule will dramatically change and I don't see why that should happen seeing as I am still comfortably in the target audience and should still be catered for.
That's a question of how well prepared they are. If Moyles decides to leave now, maybe because he believes that Radio 1's denials are simulated, your prediction would come true. But if they have someone who could take over immediately, there wouldn't be problems.

I think we shouldn't take this too serious. One day, Moyles will leave Radio 1, and there will be a new line-up. As he's doing a great job at the moment, I think he will still be there next year. And then - we'll see.

As to "where to start with" - well, there isn't much choice. Radio 1 shuffled with the weekend schedule for the last years, they will need to start with weekdays some time.

I forgot to add that I agree with you - there should not be a too abrupt change that would sacrifice Mills or others as short term solutions who would then be sent away...

unique...

I think it'll be a shame if they get rid of Moyles any time soon. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd still listen to him if he got to Terry Wogan's age and beyond and was still doing the show.

I think it's less of a question of age at this stage, and more a question of a person's ability to keep up to date with popular culture and the like, and in Moyles' case, retaining a comical, valid opinion on issues which affect the target audience of the show. Personally I can't see him losing his somewhat unique, satirical views which make him so popular today for some time yet.

These are qualities I would not attribute to some of the younger DJs in question, which is why, at the moment, I don't see anyone as being an obvious heir to the breakfast throne.

I don't know - if you sit there and watch the mentions of Radio 1 during their shows on Twitter you'll see a hell of a lot of young people tweeting about them. I've never seen it go so mad for them. However, this is a huge number of kids that just do not currently add to the RAJARs! So it'd be quite funny to see them takeover as the majority of their audience won't apply to the audience figures.

are they not just tweeting etc about the charts ?

there styles suit the chart show, but for a breakfast show i don't think so does R1 really want the breakfast show to be like a saturday morning kids tv show ?

it may work for a week or so, but it would just get on people nerves & there is very little loyalty around anyway.

Vern won't do it as he has said before "family & tv stuff"

Greg James is good, but to bland for me & seems to fall in the presenter category.

Scott doing the breakfast show, won't work even us on here say that he is somewhat weak & runs out of ideas, short term (a few weeks) yes, long term no.

Moyles to other daytime slot, don't think so cannot see a place for him, he wouldn't do;

Jo's show because of the live lounge, i can only see Annie Mac taking over that show.

Edith does all the movie interviews & going out to interview them in hotels etc, i can only see Fearne taking the show over.

Scott's show, no point is swapping over the two shows & where would Scott go as he cannot do the Breakfast show long term.

Moyles will be in touch with other stations as we speak, he has resurrected the Radio-1 Breakfast Show & he likes a challenge so i expect him to go to another station along with Dave.

as i have said before Moyles won't want to get pushed, he would rather go out with a bang either getting fired or just quite like Evans did.

:)

whats all the fuss about young dj's.

Jimmy young was is his 40's

Simon Bates was 46 when he left

DLT was 48

John Peel was 65.

And you can't hire/fire someone with age as a reason or even part of the reason

mark radcliffe was also 45 when he left radio 1, winning a sony along the way and still loads of listeners when mark & lard finished. it isn't all about youth appeal, older dj's have more experience in radio which is more important than appealing to kids that like hannah montana, and can only listen when the cartoon they like isn't on.

on the grid.

are they not just tweeting etc about the charts ?

there styles suit the chart show, but for a breakfast show i don't think so does R1 really want the breakfast show to be like a saturday morning kids tv show ?

it may work for a week or so, but it would just get on people nerves & there is very little loyalty around anyway.

Vern won't do it as he has said before "family & tv stuff"

Greg James is good, but to bland for me & seems to fall in the presenter category.

Scott doing the breakfast show, won't work even us on here say that he is somewhat weak & runs out of ideas, short term (a few weeks) yes, long term no.

Moyles to other daytime slot, don't think so cannot see a place for him, he wouldn't do;

Jo's show because of the live lounge, i can only see Annie Mac taking over that show.

Edith does all the movie interviews & going out to interview them in hotels etc, i can only see Fearne taking the show over.

Scott's show, no point is swapping over the two shows & where would Scott go as he cannot do the Breakfast show long term.

Moyles will be in touch with other stations as we speak, he has resurrected the Radio-1 Breakfast Show & he likes a challenge so i expect him to go to another station along with Dave.

as i have said before Moyles won't want to get pushed, he would rather go out with a bang either getting fired or just quite like Evans did.

Pretty much none of that made sense to me!