Unofficial Mills

Inconsistency on Radio 1's website

Jono

Despite the recent overhaul of Radio 1's website it still seems to have its problems.

Kutski has no link to his web page on Friday night so it just displays a black title which is awful on top of a black background. This is the case for a lot of late night DJs. His description is also linked to Judge Jules.

Nihal right now has the description of Vernon Kay.

A lot of presenters - particularly Switch with Annie and Nick - are on-air when the background goes black so their pictures all have white around them.

And why did Jo and Edith's pages get an overhaul for when they were off and yet The Surgery doesn't feature a picture of Aled? It's a bit inconsistent.

Also is it too difficult to ask for Radio 1 to have a digital camera near by at all times? The amount of 'guest' galleries that contain mobile phone quality pictures is pretty poor. I know that this is probably linked to DJs being on-air at weekends and night, but surely they shouldn't have to resort to using phones?

post-5-145327869706_thumb.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kutski has no link to his web page on Friday night so it just displays a black title which is awful on top of a black background. This is the case for a lot of late night DJs. His description is also linked to Judge Jules.

I have noticed the same about late night DJs. Like Saturdays when it gets to midnght the top graphic is for Fabio and it did the same with dave pearce/jules.

The webcams are rubbish this week as well. Cam 1 has been pointing at the floor for ages

james_ryder.png

i dont bother looking at the mini sites now. scotts minisite has always been slow to update unless there is a big thing going on like scott cam. jo whileys page still has live lounges "coming soon" from ages ago. the message boards are poor. and chappers and dave still deserve a permanent page as they have been on every week since september.

The I-player has been rubbish recently as well, taking ages to update shows such as Moyles and was listening to Dance Anthems on I-player earlier and the audio was terrible, I gave up listening to it was so bad and listened to the excellent London Elektricity essential mix (where the audio was fine).

Another thing with the radio 1 website is that on the DJ homepages still has Greg down as doing Mon-Thurs

"Just one more game, I promise"

I think the BBC have been having some web issues recently. Last week they had a simplified version of the BBC website up saying 'due to technical difficulties we are having to show a simplified version of the BBC website'

Also, the iPlayer was having difficulties last week too. I don't know what's happening, but it does seem to be affecting alll BBC sites

Yeah that's a good point. Without getting too techie, the 'new' BBC sites (BBC Home,radio 1, iplayer and radio 2) use a fancy web system based on AJAX (use wikipedia!). The 'old' websites (BBC Weather at the moment) are standard website, so less likely to go wrong.(easier to maintain from ITs point of view)

Gordon Brown says there's light at the end of the tunnel..........

Hi Adam, welcome to the forum. Yes is the short answer to your question. I think Becky used to do a lot of maintence during the summer (who remembers 'one that doesn't speak writes - the running order) but that seems to have gone out of the window, along with maintence. Maybe it's a lot harder now it's the new website style, it was only changed in September

Gordon Brown says there's light at the end of the tunnel..........

• 5 weeks later...

I see they have been updating the header with much needed information. It's useless adding additions when it's far from in working order for the evening DJs. I know they don't work then, but they should surely have made changes so the writing is all readable?

post-5-145327869831_thumb.jpg

Some fair points from all of you guys. Here's a few answers -

Hopefully the Kutski thing is fixed now. I *think* that post was written when Kutski was technically still filling in for Eddie Halliwell, and before his new show had officially started. I might be wrong though. Anyhoo, hopefully all fixed now, let me know if not.

The "description" underneath Nihal on that screengrab is actually the LiveText - the same text that goes on DAB and Freeview. So, it's a bit of a concern it was wrong. This is managed by the people that do the scheduling and stuff, it's not actually managed by the website team. I know there are problems from time to time with LiveText, but again hopefully this is accurate most of the time.

We know about the Annie & Nick black background thing; it's taken us too long to sort that, so I'll get on it.

Re. Aled on the surgery, I'm not sure why it hasn't had an overhaul. The site is in the process of moving to /switch (just like the Annie & Nick one did) so we'll sort it then. That will probably tie in with the show relaunching when Kelly comes back (tried to post a URL here to aled.info, but this forum won't let me cause I'm a noob - see Aled's forum post on his site on 2 Dec 08 for more info)

Thanks for your feedback re. cameras. All show teams do have digital cameras, but sometimes they forget to take them down into the studio. When that happens, there's not usually the time to ask a guest to wait while they go and get it, so they resort to their mobile phone cameras. It's not ideal, I know.

Thanks for pointing out when we get the webcam scheduling wrong. Sometimes people move studios at the last minute due to scheduling clashes, or engineering works. Sadly, the engineers do sometimes forget to change which webcam is active when this happens. Yet another of those things that shouldn't happen but does.

I would disagree that it's a poorly updated website; we have a very dedicated team who work very hard on the website. We do appreciate constructive feedback like this though - keep it coming. The email address if you want to contact us is [email protected] - mention you're an Unofficial Mills user, and send as the web address of anything you spot a problem with.

Finally, the transition from the old Radio Player to the new iPlayer has been a little rocky, to say the least. Sometimes radio shows take too long to get up there, and sometimes shows aren't available at all. It's a problem the iPlayer people are dealing with, and in the meantime we rely on people like you spotting the mistakes we haven't spotted, so drop us a line!