Unofficial Mills

US Elections 2008

fathomer90

Who will be the next President of the USA?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next President of the USA?

• McCain
    • Obama

dont know who to support?

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.youtube.com/player2.swf" style="" id="movie_player" name="movie_player" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" quality="high" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="q=yes%20we%20can&e=h&sourceid=ys&video_id=jjXyqcx-mYY&l=270&sk=Oae3TmXvAL4cqa5alv4tEQU&t=OEgsToPDskJaoyGt9bWbeMWZ5V9NHn9N&hl=en&plid=AARFpQoP0EjpYgfUAAAAIAAIYAA&playnext=0" height="395" width="480">

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.youtube.com/player2.swf" style="" id="movie_player" name="movie_player" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" quality="high" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="q=yes%20we%20can&e=h&sourceid=ys&video_id=jjXyqcx-mYY&l=270&sk=Oae3TmXvAL4cqa5alv4tEQU&t=OEgsToPDskLG47bHPKFD10s-PxazI2TK&hl=en&plid=AARFpReciG9Z1UkPAAAAIAAIYAA&playnext=0" height="395" width="480">[ame]

[/ame]

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.youtube.com/player2.swf" style="" id="movie_player" name="movie_player" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" quality="high" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="q=yes%20we%20can&e=h&sourceid=ys&video_id=jjXyqcx-mYY&l=270&sk=Oae3TmXvAL4cqa5alv4tEQU&t=OEgsToPDskLG47bHPKFD10s-PxazI2TK&hl=en&plid=AARFpReciG9Z1UkPAAAAIAAIYAA&playnext=0" height="395" width="480">

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.youtube.com/player2.swf" style="" id="movie_player" name="movie_player" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" quality="high" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="q=yes%20we%20can&e=h&sourceid=ys&video_id=jjXyqcx-mYY&l=270&sk=Oae3TmXvAL4cqa5alv4tEQU&t=OEgsToPDskJaoyGt9bWbeMWZ5V9NHn9N&hl=en&plid=AARFpQoP0EjpYgfUAAAAIAAIYAA&playnext=0" height="395" width="480">

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obama won the latest states for the democrats and Mike Huckerby won for the Republicans, i like his slogan, I Like Mike.

Hilary mentioned something like we must make sure the next president is a democrat rather than saying make sure the next president it me... is she feeling the pressure?

My Photos are online at www.markohare.com

• 4 weeks later...

I think she is. She's looking unnerved now I think.

Barack really should be the next US president. It's time that nation (and the world for that matter) was run by someone who can actually think.

• 7 months later...

Obama.

ps, just watch McCain's face when Obama says zero

Morse code in blinking?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EASpPlcVbdI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EASpPlcVbdI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Attunement.png

'Who should be?' and 'Who will be?' are two very different questions. The contenders are conducting a pretty unimpressive final debate - being shown atm on Newsnight. I really hate the diversion tactics opposing politicians on the campaign trail always use; criticising each others' failings rather than concentrating on their own strengths.

I would naturally be inclined to vote Democrat. I also have far more confidence in Obama's personality, intelligence and political acumen over McCain's "I'm just an ordinary guy who's slightly more bright than George Bush trying to win over the massive redneck vote" stance.

So fingers crossed, Obama will.

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

The third and final debate ended last night. If one is to believe almost all of the polls, Obama is ahead of McCain. We desperately need major changes here. I will be glad when it's all said and done by November 5th.

"The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma"- P. Star The Secret Box

not all that keen on obama but he'll get the job for sure

Why are you not keen on Obama? I would like to hear your opinions.

'Who should be?' and 'Who will be?' are two very different questions.

The answer is the same though :)

I would have prefered Hilary Clinton! However Obama is doing a pretty good job. Mccain has George Bush written all over, hopefully the Americans aren't stupid enough to vote him in for an unprecidented 3rd term. Perhaps with Obama he may be able to drive the US foreign policy away from the ideology that using guns and bombs fixes everything (which clearly hasn't)

i agree Hilary Clinton would have been better, i was very interested in it when she was in the running, but both candidates are just the same now & they won't make any real difference.

McCain is a bit to old & his main problem is Bush.

Obama is weak on foreign policy, & i think he will just draw back in the way Bill Clinton did & he just doesn't seem sincere to me or have any real vision, he keeps going on about change,

well people thought the UK needed a change & voted in Labour many years ago & since then they have systematically destroyed this country.

if i could vote in it i would vote for 'none of the above' i haven't taken part in the above poll because there is no abstain option.

:)

i agree Hilary Clinton would have been better, i was very interested in it when she was in the running, but both candidates are just the same now & they won't make any real difference.

McCain is a bit to old & his main problem is Bush.

Obama is weak on foreign policy, & i think he will just draw back in the way Bill Clinton did & he just doesn't seem sincere to me or have any real vision, he keeps going on about change,

well people thought the UK needed a change & voted in Labour many years ago & since then they have systematically destroyed this country.

if i could vote in it i would vote for 'none of the above' i haven't taken part in the above poll because there is no abstain option.

If you look at the poll though it asks who WILL be the next president not who do you want to be therefore having an abstain option wouldn't make sense. And if you think that Obama will be like Bill Clinton then how can you argue that his own wife wouldn't have been.

Personally I hope that Obama does get in as it will be a great step forward for America. If McCain gets in then I think it will be just as if Bush is in again.

If you look at the poll though it asks who WILL be the next president not who do you want to be therefore having an abstain option wouldn't make sense. And if you think that Obama will be like Bill Clinton then how can you argue that his own wife wouldn't have been.

Personally I hope that Obama does get in as it will be a great step forward for America. If McCain gets in then I think it will be just as if Bush is in again.

i didn't say that Obama will be like Bill Clinton, i was stating that his foreign policy will be the same & yes Hilary Clinton's would probably be the same but she isn't going to get in is she so it's a mute point, however Hilary Clinton can stand up to the other members & overall she has much more experience & overall would have been the better candidate & now that McCain has Palin as a running mate they are still in with a very good chance to win where-as if Hilary was the Dem candidate it would have been a easy win & don't forget that alot of Hilary's supporters have switched to the Palin camp.

& regarding the poll, is it not meant to be a who you want to be the next president as knowone can know as the real poll's are split so as it is very close shouldn't it have a 'i don't know' option ?

If you don't know, don't vote?

don't vote !

why not ?

it is my right to vote, when i have been to a polling station (i have been to everyone i have been invited to) you can put a cross to every name on the voting form to show that none of the candidates represent you & its not a wasted vote, not voting is a wasted vote.

everyone should vote even if you don't like any of them, its no good just saying im not voting thats just lazy & stupid.

don't vote !

why not ?

it is my right to vote, when i have been to a polling station (i have been to everyone i have been invited to) you can put a cross to every name on the voting form to show that none of the candidates represent you & its not a wasted vote, not voting is a wasted vote.

everyone should vote even if you don't like any of them, its no good just saying im not voting thats just lazy & stupid.

It's a forum poll. Why are you comparing it to an election? If you don't vote correctly it IS a wasted vote. And even so, there isn't really an 'I don't know' option, so why should there be one here? Again, that IS a wasted vote.

don't vote !

why not ?

are you really a bloke called alan or are you just a ten year old pretending to be an adult? :confused:

...but both candidates are just the same now & they won't make any real difference.

You're right to an extent.

The only apparent differences between Obama and McCain are on taxation, as is the case with most political parties and individuals seeking office in present western democracies. Obama, however, bearing true to the Democratic tradition has opted for the 'bleeding-heart liberal' tax policy, essentially giving a tax cut to the poorest and increasing taxation on the richest which, personally, is commendable. McCain, though, is your typical corporate whore: tax cuts for the biggest corporations (because otherwise, it is argued, a heavily-taxed company will look elsewhere for its workforce, that evil 'communist' beast China), major spending cuts and/or freezes to government schemes and programmes that are an ideological chagrin to the Republicans and reforms to social security that will syphon-off the poorest and weakest members of society into low-paid jobs.

There are other noteworthy ideological disparities such as on abortion (Democrats tend to be pro-choice and Republicans pro-life) which is a particularly thorny issue in US politics and stem-cell research, again respectively, the former pro and the latter anti.

As for foreign policy, Obama is clearly of the school which promulgates multilateralism as opposed to unilateralism. I too support foreign policies which assent to the concept of an international community working together to solve and resolve issues, rather than one nation policing the world and condemning respectable international institutions that get in its way. Republicans, notably George W. Bush are practitioners of this attitude.

Therefore, I would if I were a US citizen vote for Obama, but only because a vote for Obama is a vote against McCain. If Ralph Nader had a strong chance of winning a US election he would get my vote. Obama, you could say, is the lesser of two evils who may make a difference if not domestically, certainly internationally.

I haven't really taken an interest in these elections, even though it has been pretty hard to avoid. I suppose I should though as I'm having to do Politics along with my degree, so I'm going to start swotting up on the matter - this thread is a great help.

Anyway, as I'm not too sure on who to vote for, I've voted for McCain as from what the Politics teacher was saying, he's a better candidate for it, as opposed to Obama. Once I've done some background reading I may (or may not) disagree and wished I'd voted Obama.

Alouette...deployer les ailes;

Alouette...plumerai les ailes.

If I had had your politics teacher the classroom would certainly have been an interesting place.

Hmm, yeah probably! I guess because none of us really know that much about it she's brainwashing us all to be McCain fans...

Alouette...deployer les ailes;

Alouette...plumerai les ailes.